Reload this Page >

Going to UAE on a tourist visa with a one-way ticket

Going to UAE on a tourist visa with a one-way ticket

Old Jun 27th 2012, 9:27 am
Just Joined

Zhenhua is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Going to UAE on a tourist visa with a one-way ticket

Hi,

After 2 years in bloomy Birmingham, I've decided to go back to Abu Dhabi.

My new employer in AD is not able to get me a work visa in time for my departure this Friday. Instead, they have managed to get me a tourist visa. I'm Chinese by the way. My question is since I have only got a one-way ticket to Dubai, what shall I tell the immigration officer while entering UAE. I can't tell them that I am going to work there because I'm on a tourist visa. But do I need to have a return ticket to enter the country as a tourist?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Zhenhua
Old Jun 27th 2012, 9:44 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going to UAE on a tourist visa with a one-way ticket

Originally Posted by Zhenhua
Hi,

My new employer in AD is not able to get me a work visa in time for my departure this Friday. Instead, they have managed to get me a tourist visa. I'm Chinese by the way. My question is since I have only got a one-way ticket to Dubai, what shall I tell the immigration officer while entering UAE. I can't tell them that I am going to work there because I'm on a tourist visa. But do I need to have a return ticket to enter the country as a tourist?

Zhenhua
Do not go without a return ticket !! It costs no more for a return and you will not get trouble at immigration. Unfortunately someone Chinese with a one way ticket is likely to stay in Dubai until the next available flight out.
Old Jun 27th 2012, 9:54 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by britexpat76
Do not go without a return ticket !! It costs no more for a return and you will not get trouble at immigration. Unfortunately someone Chinese with a one way ticket is likely to stay in Dubai until the next available flight out.
Thanks for your quick reply. My employer told me last week that the work visa would be ready in time, so I foolishly booked a one-way. Booking the return leg separately could cost me another £400 or even more and I doubt I will get reimbursed.

HR told me that one-way ticket was OK, but I just don't know how I can convince the immigration that I go to the UAE for a good reason. My wife is travelling with her British passport and a return flight, so she is OK I think.
Old Jun 27th 2012, 9:59 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your quick reply. My employer told me last week that the work visa would be ready in time, so I foolishly booked a one-way. Booking the return leg separately could cost me another £400 or even more and I doubt I will get reimbursed.

HR told me that one-way ticket was OK, but I just don't know how I can convince the immigration that I go to the UAE for a good reason. My wife is travelling with her British passport and a return flight, so she is OK I think.
Seriously get a return flight, did you book with an airline or a website?? Also, your employer should be paying for flights?? The wife will be fine, lonely as you wont be there, but fine
Old Jun 27th 2012, 10:14 am
Just Joined

Seriously get a return flight, did you book with an airline or a website?? Also, your employer should be paying for flights?? The wife will be fine, lonely as you wont be there, but fine
I have been given AED10K for mobilisation which includes flights and shipping costs etc. So I guess the extra cost would be paid out of my pocket. The tickets were booked via Emirates website. Will give them a call to see how much I need to pay extra for the return. Thanks again.
Old Jun 27th 2012, 10:18 am
Shark Fisherman

Emirates will be able to change it for you and you wont lose all your money. You should always book returns and change the date of return if you have to. Works out cheaper.
Old Jun 27th 2012, 10:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Zhenhua
On the 99.99% chance that you have an e-ticket, look at the last one you got, and "edit" your one way one so it looks like a return. The more I think about it, I can't remember a single instance of immigration asking to see your return flight.
Old Jun 27th 2012, 10:38 am
Shark Fisherman

Originally Posted by Brains1983
On the 99.99% chance that you have an e-ticket, look at the last one you got, and "edit" your one way one so it looks like a return. The more I think about it, I can't remember a single instance of immigration asking to see your return flight.
It depends on your nationality, Infact thats wrong. It depends on your ethnicity
Old Jun 27th 2012, 11:12 am
Just Joined

It depends on your nationality, Infact thats wrong. It depends on your ethnicity
Problems solved, I hope. My employer will book a ticket for the return leg to Birmingham and then cancel it after I arrive.