Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Going to Qatar..Is that so stupid???

Going to Qatar..Is that so stupid???

Old Mar 7th 2011, 6:31 pm
Forum Regular

MrMark is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Going to Qatar..Is that so stupid???

Hello everyone,

I want to run this idea by you and see how stupid it is. I want to find a good position in Qatar. I have applied to a couple of positions there, one is at the New Doha Convention Center. I am a technology architect and manager with 14 years of experience. I have designed and built the systems in the Vancouver Convention Center so I thought I would be a great fit for Doha convention center but for some reason they did not reply !!

I have two weeks off and I am thinking to fly to Qatar to see how the place is and whether I would be comfortable there and try to go and meet with the people at the Doha Convention Center. Also maybe try to look for good work while I am there during the 14 days.

Is that so crazy?

Any ideas from people living in Doha?

Mark.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 12:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going to Qatar..Is that so stupid???

If you're just going there for a short 'holiday', then go for it. I think people respond much better when you're there in country, rather than thousands of miles away.

We went for a short break late November, much prefer it to Riyadh. Mind you, that isn't saying much, is it?
Old Mar 8th 2011, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by nottmbantam
If you're just going there for a short 'holiday', then go for it. I think people respond much better when you're there in country, rather than thousands of miles away.

We went for a short break late November, much prefer it to Riyadh. Mind you, that isn't saying much, is it?
Thank you for the reply nottmbantam.

I will consider it a holiday but I guess I should not expect much from it.

What was your feeling about the place when you visited in November?
Old Mar 8th 2011, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MrMark

I am also concerned about the unrest in the region as well.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 4:09 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrMark

Qatar's pretty dull and very quiet , it's a typical Gulf country with the same Gulf attitudes.

There's a fair bit to do and a few interesting places , you can live quite a good life if you find the right social circle of friends. Cost of living and Housing are high and driving is some of the worst i've ever seen bordering on the side of lunacy.

There will be a lot or work and buisiness done here in the next few years so if you're looking to get in make some money and get out it could be the ideal place.

Good Luck
Old Mar 9th 2011, 5:02 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by co durham boy
Qatar's pretty dull and very quiet , it's a typical Gulf country with the same Gulf attitudes.

There's a fair bit to do and a few interesting places , you can live quite a good life if you find the right social circle of friends. Cost of living and Housing are high and driving is some of the worst i've ever seen bordering on the side of lunacy.

There will be a lot or work and buisiness done here in the next few years so if you're looking to get in make some money and get out it could be the ideal place.

Good Luck
Thank you so much for the info "co durham boy". I appreciate it a lot. I will go there and hopefully find something in 14 days.

Mark.