British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   going to Damascus (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/going-damascus-620961/)

ghazi Jul 19th 2009 8:28 am

going to Damascus

hi,

can anyone give me any tips on where i can stay for a weekend in Damascus. i work in jedda and i need a break! - tried Dubai, Bahrain i need something different. (im also on a budget!!!)

also if anyone has any tips on what i can do.... ive heard alot about Palmyra... anything else anyone can recommend.

thanksss!

WaqasKhawaja Jul 19th 2009 12:35 pm

Re: going to Damascus

Originally Posted by ghazi (Post 7765072)
hi,

can anyone give me any tips on where i can stay for a weekend in Damascus. i work in jedda and i need a break! - tried Dubai, Bahrain i need something different. (im also on a budget!!!)

also if anyone has any tips on what i can do.... ive heard alot about Palmyra... anything else anyone can recommend.

thanksss!

hello Ghazi,

I would love to help you but:

1. im on a shitty 3G conenction in a tin cabin on site
2. I have no idea where your talking about
3. I'm in england so double no idea.

Hope you get a good deal when you go.

Blue Cat Jul 19th 2009 12:42 pm

www.virtualtourist.com

ghazi Jul 19th 2009 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by WaqasKhawaja (Post 7765458)
hello Ghazi,

I would love to help you but:

1. im on a shitty 3G conenction in a tin cabin on site
2. I have no idea where your talking about
3. I'm in england so double no idea.

Hope you get a good deal when you go.

hi waqas,

sorry im thinking like a saudi! i just assumed everyone would know what i meant by saying Damascus..... it is in Syria... (i defo need a break!!)

cheers

Confucius Jul 19th 2009 1:20 pm

hi,

thanksss!

Go to Beirut...

Spugsy will give you an objective perspective as I will be extremely biased in mine...

Ethos83 Jul 19th 2009 4:03 pm

Beirut has a great party scene, but Damascus has a history that can't be beat. the old city is amazing and if you like rugs, it's one of the best places to buy good quality rugs in the Middle East. Food is excellent too.

Palmyra can be done as a day trip, but a long day trip.

Buy a Lonely Planet guide to Syria. Just make sure you have your visas sorted out.

Confucius Jul 19th 2009 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by Ethos83 (Post 7765858)
Beirut has a great party scene, but Damascus has a history that can't be beat. the old city is amazing and if you like rugs, it's one of the best places to buy good quality rugs in the Middle East. Food is excellent too.

Palmyra can be done as a day trip, but a long day trip.

Buy a Lonely Planet guide to Syria. Just make sure you have your visas sorted out.

Traitor...

Madam Medusa Jul 19th 2009 6:16 pm

hi,

thanksss!

i work with a syrian girl, so i can ask her for some advice...

MM, xx

ghazi Jul 21st 2009 4:56 am

thanks for the advice everyone, i think im going to damascus. one thing that is worrying me is.... visas?! i was under the impression that, because i have a british passport i wont need to apply for a visa b4 i go. i thought i would get one on arrival... is this not the case??

thanks again..

nottmbantam Jul 21st 2009 5:31 pm

My sister is in Damascus at the moment.When are you planning on going, I could always ask her and get her thoughts.

I'm also in Jeddah and looked at getting flights to Damascus to visit my sis, but couldn't really get any ( Saudia )decent times to fit into a long weekend.