British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Going backwards or what? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/going-backwards-what-598033/)

eylesda Mar 17th 2009 4:58 am

Going backwards or what?

http://www.gulfnews.com/nation/Polic.../10295528.html

Chris79 Mar 17th 2009 5:10 am

Re: Going backwards or what?

The husband's lawyer, Hamdi Al Sheewi, in a civil lawsuit filed against Pearce has accused her of cheating on her husband by having consensual sex with another man (who is still at large).
Maybe her husband has a small one and that is why!!
Joking aside this country has some really ****ed up and antiquated rules.

lionheart Mar 17th 2009 5:11 am

Originally Posted by eylesda (Post 7387241)

The outcome was probably expected. As rightly suggested by Blue Cat in an earlier thread, there are two sides to every story.

Norm_uk Mar 17th 2009 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by Chris79 (Post 7387261)
The husband's lawyer, Hamdi Al Sheewi, in a civil lawsuit filed against Pearce has accused her of cheating on her husband by having consensual sex with another man (who is still at large).
Maybe her husband has a small one and that is why!!
Joking aside this country has some really ****ed up and antiquated rules.

It's not the only country like that - the only non-Muslim country in the world that still punishes people for consensual sex outside of marriage is South Korea as far as I know...and then only in cases of adultery.

N.

typical Mar 17th 2009 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by Norm_uk (Post 7388443)
It's not the only country like that - the only non-Muslim country in the world that still punishes people for consensual sex outside of marriage is South Korea as far as I know...and then only in cases of adultery.

I think Taiwan and India, too.

There are states in the US with unrepealed adultery laws :ohmy:

TGFKASE Mar 17th 2009 12:38 pm

Mind you, its still legal to kill a Welshman, with a bow and arrow, within the walls of the City of York...

So some arent so dumb......

Blue Cat Mar 17th 2009 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 7387263)
The outcome was probably expected. As rightly suggested by Blue Cat in an earlier thread, there are two sides to every story.

agreed, and whilst she was charged with adultery, she wasn't actually married at the time so I am thinking it is more a case of sex outside of marriage, not her marriage if that makes sense.

Norm_uk Mar 18th 2009 4:43 am

Originally Posted by typical (Post 7388518)
I think Taiwan and India, too.

There are states in the US with unrepealed adultery laws :ohmy:

Wasn't aware India and Taiwan were like that too.

As for unrepealed laws - well they don't count unless they are enforced really - there's plenty of crazy laws they haven't got rid of yet. It was only recently blasphemy ceased to be a crime in the UK for example!

N.

Hello.Kitty Mar 18th 2009 10:17 am

Originally Posted by Norm_uk (Post 7391762)
Wasn't aware India and Taiwan were like that too.

As for unrepealed laws - well they don't count unless they are enforced really - there's plenty of crazy laws they haven't got rid of yet. It was only recently blasphemy ceased to be a crime in the UK for example!

N.

is killing swans still treason?

typical Mar 18th 2009 10:27 am

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty (Post 7392614)
is killing swans still treason?

Don't think it ever was, although all wild mute swans were once owned by the Crown.

Hello.Kitty Mar 18th 2009 10:33 am

Originally Posted by typical (Post 7392642)
Don't think it ever was, although all wild mute swans were once owned by the Crown.

yeah, I think it came from that... all swans were owned by the crown, so if you killed one, you'd poached the crown's property --> trouble.