Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Giving Birth in Dubai on Tourist Visa

Giving Birth in Dubai on Tourist Visa

Old Jun 24th 2009, 11:52 am
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2
ado.machung is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Giving Birth in Dubai on Tourist Visa

Hi guys,
Would appreciate it if someone could advise or caution regarding my situation.
I'm British, married to a Pakistani. My wife is currently 8 months pregnant and in Dubai on a tourist visa.
Her Dr has advised not to travel and to do the delivery in Dubai itself.
Being there as a tourist, what are her options and rights ?
Is it the same as someone with a resident permit ?
Thanks in advance for your help.
ado.machung is offline  
Old Jun 24th 2009, 12:08 pm
  #2  
Concierge
 
Blue Cat's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 29,625
Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Giving Birth in Dubai on Tourist Visa

Originally Posted by ado.machung View Post
Hi guys,
Would appreciate it if someone could advise or caution regarding my situation.
I'm British, married to a Pakistani. My wife is currently 8 months pregnant and in Dubai on a tourist visa.
Her Dr has advised not to travel and to do the delivery in Dubai itself.
Being there as a tourist, what are her options and rights ?
Is it the same as someone with a resident permit ?
Thanks in advance for your help.

Are you in Dubai as well? you will need to be at the birth. She can't travel because airlines won't allow her to. She can deliver here at any of the hospitals that you wish. Expect a big bill.
Blue Cat is offline  
Old Jun 24th 2009, 12:15 pm
  #3  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2
ado.machung is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Giving Birth in Dubai on Tourist Visa

Originally Posted by Blue Cat View Post
Are you in Dubai as well? you will need to be at the birth. She can't travel because airlines won't allow her to. She can deliver here at any of the hospitals that you wish. Expect a big bill.
Thanks Blue Cat.
I'll be flying there shortly. What kind of bill should i be expecting ? Can't she be admitted to a public hospital ?
Also,will the hospitals issue birth certificate etc regardless of here visa status ?
Is there a fine for over-staying the 3 month visa, because she definitely wont be able to travel before it expires. Unless there's a way of extending it.
Sorry - whole lot of questions !!
ado.machung is offline  
Old Jun 24th 2009, 12:31 pm
  #4  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Brisbane, Qld
Posts: 285
Poitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nice
Default Re: Giving Birth in Dubai on Tourist Visa

Best to contact your or her embassy - they should be able to answer your questions and tell you what needs to be done for childs paperwork.

Goodluck with the birth
Poitin is offline  
Old Jun 24th 2009, 12:53 pm
  #5  
Concierge
 
Blue Cat's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 29,625
Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Giving Birth in Dubai on Tourist Visa

Originally Posted by ado.machung View Post
Thanks Blue Cat.
I'll be flying there shortly. What kind of bill should i be expecting ? Can't she be admitted to a public hospital ?
Also,will the hospitals issue birth certificate etc regardless of here visa status ?
Is there a fine for over-staying the 3 month visa, because she definitely wont be able to travel before it expires. Unless there's a way of extending it.
Sorry - whole lot of questions !!
you get given an arabic birth certificate then you take it the British Embassy and they issue a British one. You say she is here for three months? I thought visit visas to the UAE were one month? I am sure she can deliver at Al Wasl which is government but tell her to go and register with them now and explain her situation. The bill will be in the region of a thousand quid, maybe less if it is a straight forward birth. Good luck.
Blue Cat is offline  
Old Jun 24th 2009, 2:40 pm
  #6  
ex-expat
 
Hello.Kitty's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: in front of my computer - in sunny Sussex!
Posts: 2,162
Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Giving Birth in Dubai on Tourist Visa

there's a section in the Wiki called "giving birth in the UAE" that has lots of info that you'll hopefully find helpful. It has contact numbers, proceedures and stuff in it.

Some airlines will allow your wife to travel up to 35 weeks with a doctors' certificate saying she's fit to travel and not about to pop. Past that, yeah, no. Also, airlines won't take babies under 3 weeks old onboard unless for medical reasons... many recommend not taking them on a plane until they are a couple of months old.
Hello.Kitty is offline  
Old Jun 24th 2009, 4:59 pm
  #7  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 13,553
The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Giving Birth in Dubai on Tourist Visa

Congratulations!

I think we can assure you that this will be a worthy nominee for the "Best Thread Title Of The Year" award................

The Dean is offline  
Old Jun 25th 2009, 9:46 am
  #8  
ex-expat
 
Hello.Kitty's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: in front of my computer - in sunny Sussex!
Posts: 2,162
Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Giving Birth in Dubai on Tourist Visa

I've been thinking about this and I'm actually a tad concerned (not that it's any of my business, ofc, but hey!).

The OP obviously wasn't aware of travel restrictions on airlines which kick in at 28 weeks - so it's likely that the wife has been in Dubai since before that time - so lets say 4-6 weeks already. Does that mean that she's had no proper antenatal care (apart from her "Doctor") during that time?! Final trimester care is kind of important...

So basically, the OP's situation is as follows:

Through an astonishing lack of forward planning, his heavily pregnant wife is stranded in a very foreign country with no idea what to do, no support and little relevant medical care.

Nice.

I'd be sh*tting bricks in her place... and then I'd b*tchslap hubby's balls off.

Anyhow, one last bit of constructive advice to the OP - don't forget to take your marriage certificate with you - without it, your wife will be facing a jail term and deportation.

Hmm, and as for cost, yes, government hospitals are cheaper, as Blue Cat indicated... private hospitals vary from 15k-25k AED. Couldn't say whether the standard of care varies in proportion.
Hello.Kitty is offline  
Old Jun 25th 2009, 9:48 am
  #9  
Concierge
 
Blue Cat's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 29,625
Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Giving Birth in Dubai on Tourist Visa

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty View Post
I've been thinking about this and I'm actually a tad concerned (not that it's any of my business, ofc, but hey!).

The OP obviously wasn't aware of travel restrictions on airlines which kick in at 28 weeks - so it's likely that the wife has been in Dubai since before that time - so lets say 4-6 weeks already. Does that mean that she's had no proper antenatal care (apart from her "Doctor") during that time?! Final trimester care is kind of important...

So basically, the OP's situation is as follows:

Through an astonishing lack of forward planning, his heavily pregnant wife is stranded in a very foreign country with no idea what to do, no support and little relevant medical care.

Nice.

I'd be sh*tting bricks in her place... and then I'd b*tchslap hubby's balls off.

Anyhow, one last bit of constructive advice to the OP - don't forget to take your marriage certificate with you - without it, your wife will be facing a jail term and deportation.

Hmm, and as for cost, yes, government hospitals are cheaper, as Blue Cat indicated... private hospitals vary from 15k-25k AED. Couldn't say whether the standard of care varies in proportion.
the Al Wasl is as good if not better than some of the private hospitals
Blue Cat is offline  
Old Jun 25th 2009, 10:28 am
  #10  
BE Enthusiast
 
spartans53's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 464
spartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Giving Birth in Dubai on Tourist Visa

Care at Al Wasl is great for the medical stuff bedside manner leaves a bit to catch up on. Also trying to get a single room can be fun. American is much better on the surface but not sure how much better the actual doctoring is? They will however make you feel much better. Also the husband is allowed in for much longer and more of tthe procedure in the American. Had one at each and was not allowed to be at the actual birth for either. One was vacuum pump at Al Wasl and I was thrown out, the second was at AH and was a CS with full anestetic which meant I was thrown out again. Mrs Spartans was not happy about the first one but was asleep for the second.

Mike
spartans53 is offline  
Old Jun 25th 2009, 11:14 am
  #11  
If I have to explain...
 
Roadking's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Where ever the road takes me
Posts: 3,999
Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Giving Birth in Dubai on Tourist Visa

Wouldn't a Tourist Visa be an awfully small target?

I'd have though a bed would be better but then, I'm a man!
Roadking is offline  
Old Jun 25th 2009, 11:20 am
  #12  
Forum Regular
 
954RR's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Dubai, The Greens
Posts: 157
954RR has a spectacular aura about954RR has a spectacular aura about954RR has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Giving Birth in Dubai on Tourist Visa

954RR is offline  
Old Jun 25th 2009, 11:50 am
  #13  
BE Enthusiast
 
spartans53's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 464
spartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Giving Birth in Dubai on Tourist Visa

That has made me laugh out loud for real not just a lol
spartans53 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.