British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Giving Birth in Dubai on Tourist Visa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/giving-birth-dubai-tourist-visa-616596/)

ado.machung Jun 24th 2009 11:52 am

Giving Birth in Dubai on Tourist Visa

Hi guys,
Would appreciate it if someone could advise or caution regarding my situation.
I'm British, married to a Pakistani. My wife is currently 8 months pregnant and in Dubai on a tourist visa.
Her Dr has advised not to travel and to do the delivery in Dubai itself.
Being there as a tourist, what are her options and rights ?
Is it the same as someone with a resident permit ?
Thanks in advance for your help.

Blue Cat Jun 24th 2009 12:08 pm

Re: Giving Birth in Dubai on Tourist Visa

Originally Posted by ado.machung (Post 7694633)
Hi guys,
Would appreciate it if someone could advise or caution regarding my situation.
I'm British, married to a Pakistani. My wife is currently 8 months pregnant and in Dubai on a tourist visa.
Her Dr has advised not to travel and to do the delivery in Dubai itself.
Being there as a tourist, what are her options and rights ?
Is it the same as someone with a resident permit ?
Thanks in advance for your help.

Are you in Dubai as well? you will need to be at the birth. She can't travel because airlines won't allow her to. She can deliver here at any of the hospitals that you wish. Expect a big bill.

ado.machung Jun 24th 2009 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 7694717)
Are you in Dubai as well? you will need to be at the birth. She can't travel because airlines won't allow her to. She can deliver here at any of the hospitals that you wish. Expect a big bill.

Thanks Blue Cat.
I'll be flying there shortly. What kind of bill should i be expecting ? Can't she be admitted to a public hospital ?
Also,will the hospitals issue birth certificate etc regardless of here visa status ?
Is there a fine for over-staying the 3 month visa, because she definitely wont be able to travel before it expires. Unless there's a way of extending it.
Sorry - whole lot of questions !!

Poitin Jun 24th 2009 12:31 pm

Best to contact your or her embassy - they should be able to answer your questions and tell you what needs to be done for childs paperwork.

Goodluck with the birth:)

Blue Cat Jun 24th 2009 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by ado.machung (Post 7694749)
Thanks Blue Cat.
I'll be flying there shortly. What kind of bill should i be expecting ? Can't she be admitted to a public hospital ?
Also,will the hospitals issue birth certificate etc regardless of here visa status ?
Is there a fine for over-staying the 3 month visa, because she definitely wont be able to travel before it expires. Unless there's a way of extending it.
Sorry - whole lot of questions !!

you get given an arabic birth certificate then you take it the British Embassy and they issue a British one. You say she is here for three months? I thought visit visas to the UAE were one month? I am sure she can deliver at Al Wasl which is government but tell her to go and register with them now and explain her situation. The bill will be in the region of a thousand quid, maybe less if it is a straight forward birth. Good luck.

Hello.Kitty Jun 24th 2009 2:40 pm

there's a section in the Wiki called "giving birth in the UAE" that has lots of info that you'll hopefully find helpful. It has contact numbers, proceedures and stuff in it.

Some airlines will allow your wife to travel up to 35 weeks with a doctors' certificate saying she's fit to travel and not about to pop. Past that, yeah, no. Also, airlines won't take babies under 3 weeks old onboard unless for medical reasons... many recommend not taking them on a plane until they are a couple of months old.

The Dean Jun 24th 2009 4:59 pm

Congratulations!

I think we can assure you that this will be a worthy nominee for the "Best Thread Title Of The Year" award................

:huh:

Hello.Kitty Jun 25th 2009 9:46 am

I've been thinking about this and I'm actually a tad concerned (not that it's any of my business, ofc, but hey!).

The OP obviously wasn't aware of travel restrictions on airlines which kick in at 28 weeks - so it's likely that the wife has been in Dubai since before that time - so lets say 4-6 weeks already. Does that mean that she's had no proper antenatal care (apart from her "Doctor") during that time?! Final trimester care is kind of important...

So basically, the OP's situation is as follows:

Through an astonishing lack of forward planning, his heavily pregnant wife is stranded in a very foreign country with no idea what to do, no support and little relevant medical care.

Nice.

I'd be sh*tting bricks in her place... and then I'd b*tchslap hubby's balls off.

Anyhow, one last bit of constructive advice to the OP - don't forget to take your marriage certificate with you - without it, your wife will be facing a jail term and deportation.

Hmm, and as for cost, yes, government hospitals are cheaper, as Blue Cat indicated... private hospitals vary from 15k-25k AED. Couldn't say whether the standard of care varies in proportion.

Blue Cat Jun 25th 2009 9:48 am

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty (Post 7698057)
I've been thinking about this and I'm actually a tad concerned (not that it's any of my business, ofc, but hey!).

The OP obviously wasn't aware of travel restrictions on airlines which kick in at 28 weeks - so it's likely that the wife has been in Dubai since before that time - so lets say 4-6 weeks already. Does that mean that she's had no proper antenatal care (apart from her "Doctor") during that time?! Final trimester care is kind of important...

So basically, the OP's situation is as follows:

Through an astonishing lack of forward planning, his heavily pregnant wife is stranded in a very foreign country with no idea what to do, no support and little relevant medical care.

Nice.

I'd be sh*tting bricks in her place... and then I'd b*tchslap hubby's balls off.

Anyhow, one last bit of constructive advice to the OP - don't forget to take your marriage certificate with you - without it, your wife will be facing a jail term and deportation.

Hmm, and as for cost, yes, government hospitals are cheaper, as Blue Cat indicated... private hospitals vary from 15k-25k AED. Couldn't say whether the standard of care varies in proportion.

the Al Wasl is as good if not better than some of the private hospitals :)

spartans53 Jun 25th 2009 10:28 am

Care at Al Wasl is great for the medical stuff bedside manner leaves a bit to catch up on. Also trying to get a single room can be fun. American is much better on the surface but not sure how much better the actual doctoring is? They will however make you feel much better. Also the husband is allowed in for much longer and more of tthe procedure in the American. Had one at each and was not allowed to be at the actual birth for either. One was vacuum pump at Al Wasl and I was thrown out, the second was at AH and was a CS with full anestetic which meant I was thrown out again. Mrs Spartans was not happy about the first one but was asleep for the second.

Mike

Roadking Jun 25th 2009 11:14 am

Wouldn't a Tourist Visa be an awfully small target? :unsure:

I'd have though a bed would be better but then, I'm a man!

954RR Jun 25th 2009 11:20 am

:rofl:

spartans53 Jun 25th 2009 11:50 am

That has made me laugh out loud for real not just a lol