Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Girlfriend visiting Riyadh

Girlfriend visiting Riyadh

Old Nov 23rd 2010, 1:52 pm
Forum Regular

pranabdc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Girlfriend visiting Riyadh

not so seriously maybe get a new girlfriend here, most women are liberated enough now to accept that men need other girlfriends when they are abroad.
just ease it into the conversation one evening see how she reacts.
Experience always sells!!
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

NaimTakieddin will become famous soon enoughNaimTakieddin will become famous soon enough

All points are valid, nevetheless it is much more practicle to have her an IQAMA here in KSA then you can have better SOCIAL ENTOURAGE ...

think about asking your sponsor in King Saud uni about what VISAS are available for British !! commonly, visas for females could vary by description from secretary -which requires no high credentials- to manager or supervisor ...

I firmly believe your sponsor would help you in this issue.....

REMEMBER TO NEVER MENTIONING YOU ARE IN RELATION WITH HER....OTHERWISE COMPLICATIONS WILL TAKE PLACE IMMEDIATELY

So, why bothering for temporary visa when you can afford to re-unite with her permanently in this country ....
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 3:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

You would have more fun in Bahrain anyway.

1 - Your GF doesn't have to go everywhere in the abbaya.
2 - The shops don't all close for payer, so you don't have to plan your day around that
3 - If you drink - then of course you can get it legally
4 - Nightclubs , bars and cinema's are all there.
5 - Generally, a more 'livelier' place.

Would you fly or drive there? We drove over a couple of weeks ago, but if you have a company / rental car, it's a bit tricky.

As Naim says though, would probably be better for the long term to get her get her out here permanently. Easiest way to do that, is to get married.

What line of work is she in?
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

NaimTakieddin will become famous soon enoughNaimTakieddin will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by nottmbantam
You would have more fun in Bahrain anyway.

1 - Your GF doesn't have to go everywhere in the abbaya.
2 - The shops don't all close for payer, so you don't have to plan your day around that
3 - If you drink - then of course you can get it legally
4 - Nightclubs , bars and cinema's are all there.
5 - Generally, a more 'livelier' place.

Would you fly or drive there? We drove over a couple of weeks ago, but if you have a company / rental car, it's a bit tricky.

As Naim says though, would probably be better for the long term to get her get her out here permanently. Easiest way to do that, is to get married.

What line of work is she in?

The shops don't all close for payer

And also you want to tie him up in marriage bond ....you re cruel buddy
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 4:26 pm
Forum Regular

pranabdc is an unknown quantity at this point

Man ......what I get is like..

Blue balls is the most infectious disease in Riyadh.

Does anyone have any cure??
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 6:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sterobbo2k
Hi Guys and Girls,

Just a bit of advice, but what is the possibility of my girlfriend visiting Riyadh over the Christmas holidays?

We have been together 3 years and we have a house back in Wales, I came out here at the start of this month but obviously as we are not married and with Joanne having a good job back in the UK I am going it alone for a while to see how it goes. Eventually I may get the opportunity to go over to the east coast, that way Joanne will join me in Bahrain and I will then travel over the causeway like the guys on the eastcoast do.

Without sounding too soppy, but it is probably the hardest thing I have done leaving her behind but hey we both know it's a great opportunity to have a better life than what we were having back in the UK, SCRAPPING BY day by day!

Anyway, she is asking to come over at Christmas, I am hoping to be in Bahrain as I believe the guys on site here may head over there to celebrate, but it is up to the boss so I am waiting to here. If this happens then great, because there wouldn't be a problem, but if he says no and we have to work (boo) what is the alternative, can she come see me here?

I have not been here long so I am a bit weary about rocking the boat before I have found my feet with the company so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

That way I can stop stringing her along saying 'I will find out'. No doubt I will be in the doghouse either way!

Cheers

Ste
When you are away from your girlfriend for a long time, is it hard?
Old Nov 24th 2010, 4:32 am
Account Closed

weasel central is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pranabdc
Man ......what I get is like..

Blue balls is the most infectious disease in Riyadh.

Does anyone have any cure??
jeez man i gave you some good tips bar i give you my gf's phone number you are going to have to get out and do some work yourself
Old Nov 24th 2010, 4:36 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by NaimTakieddin
The shops don't all close for payer
I have never seen one shop in Riyadh open during prayer, unless you mean the market stalls in Batha or something like that.
in the malls the security guards go around telling the shops to close, even if they are in the middle of serving someone
Old Nov 24th 2010, 4:41 am
Just Joined

sterobbo2k is just really nicesterobbo2k is just really nicesterobbo2k is just really nicesterobbo2k is just really nicesterobbo2k is just really nicesterobbo2k is just really nicesterobbo2k is just really nicesterobbo2k is just really nicesterobbo2k is just really nice

The plan is for me to get to Bahrain next year and travel over the causeway, that all depends on work, but if it happens then Jo will come over and join me then.

Shes works for Social Services as an Occupational Therapist Assistant which basically means she goes out and does assessments on people to issue them things like grab rails, ramps, bathing equipment and parking bays, all depending on circumstance and if they meet critera. All aimed at keeping them independant in there own homes. But she has done a bit of everything like kid's rep and wedding co-ordinator abroad for Thomas Cook, trolly dollying on Ryanair, care home assistant and Childline volenteer, but she has no degree which is often a stumbling block I guess.

and yes it is hard in every sense of the word haha! like what you done there!

For the time being we will just go on how we are and see how it goes, she will be coming to Bahrain twice next year anyhow with the two holidays we have here I will go and meet her. That plus the 6 weeks leave I get things should be ok for the time being at least.
Old Nov 24th 2010, 4:55 am
Account Closed

Shes works for Social Services as an Occupational Therapist Assistant which basically means she goes out and does assessments on people to issue them things like grab rails, ramps, bathing equipment and parking bays, all depending on circumstance and if they meet critera. All aimed at keeping them independant in there own homes. But she has done a bit of everything like kid's rep and wedding co-ordinator abroad for Thomas Cook, trolly dollying on Ryanair, care home assistant and Childline volenteer, but she has no degree which is often a stumbling block I guess.
what might be a bigger stumbling block is that in riyadh, there is absolutely no consideration given to wheelchair access or anything like that. Some of the stuff i worked on i would ask the architect about a ramp or handrail or anything like that and i'd get a blank stare
i think on one project, out of over 300 or more toilets there may have been 2 or 3 disabled ones. its not given any thought as far as i see
Old Nov 24th 2010, 4:56 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

The plan is for me to get to Bahrain next year and travel over the causeway, that all depends on work, but if it happens then Jo will come over and join me then.

For the time being we will just go on how we are and see how it goes, she will be coming to Bahrain twice next year anyhow with the two holidays we have here I will go and meet her. That plus the 6 weeks leave I get things should be ok for the time being at least.
Just get married mate ....you can have xmas dinner every day then...
Old Nov 24th 2010, 7:19 am
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, now if you're gonna drive over the Causeway, it's easier if you have your own personal car.

If it's a company car - you will need written consent from them, stating that you taking it into Bahrain. You will also need this letter if it is rental car. Rental companies are a bit more reluctant to do this, probably easier if you get a company car, but leave at last two weeks to get this 'permission letter'.

In terms of your future wife (!) working here, for women, the most common types of work are in two main sectors - education and health.

Education - many jobs going as teachers, teaching assistants etc. If you can, get your GF to take a TEFL course, as there isa huge demand for teaching English as a second language, although to be honest, in Riyadh, as it so common, it's not particularly well paid.

Health - mainly work available in nursing, and working at the various hospitals - there *may* be work as an OT.

Good luck.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 9:52 am
Just Joined

Abdul is an unknown quantity at this point

the visa can be possibly issued. It all depends on the mood of the Saudi embassy in the UK. Would it be possible for your girlfriend, or a friend of yours to call them in order to see how possible that is. I've heard from a Saudi friend of mine that his expat friend who works in the same company; could bring his girlfriend onetime for a short visit.

I will keep my fingers crossed.
Old Nov 26th 2010, 2:19 pm
Just Joined

Mr Edward is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear Sterrobo,

Unless you know someone pretty high ranking at the Saudi Embassy in London l would say it would be pretty difficult to get a visa for your girlfriend to visit, l have actually overcome this problem 10 years ago, l brought my girlfriend from Tunisia on a business visa, as l was the MD of the company l worked for, l did not have to much difficulty, plus the fact my girlfriend knew the Saudi Ambassador in Tunisia. My girlfriend was a supplier to my company so l could show a business link. Do you know a prince ? in this instance, its often who you know not what you know, best of luck, Edward
Old Nov 29th 2010, 12:41 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you have very high-up contacts your chances of getting her into the country are frankly zip.

Can some of the more 'experienced' members take this young blade in hand and point out some of the er...other temporary options available in Riyadh for him ?