Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Girlfriend visiting Riyadh

Girlfriend visiting Riyadh

Old Nov 23rd 2010, 8:33 am
Just Joined

sterobbo2k is just really nicesterobbo2k is just really nicesterobbo2k is just really nicesterobbo2k is just really nicesterobbo2k is just really nicesterobbo2k is just really nicesterobbo2k is just really nicesterobbo2k is just really nicesterobbo2k is just really nice
Default Girlfriend visiting Riyadh

Hi Guys and Girls,

Just a bit of advice, but what is the possibility of my girlfriend visiting Riyadh over the Christmas holidays?

We have been together 3 years and we have a house back in Wales, I came out here at the start of this month but obviously as we are not married and with Joanne having a good job back in the UK I am going it alone for a while to see how it goes. Eventually I may get the opportunity to go over to the east coast, that way Joanne will join me in Bahrain and I will then travel over the causeway like the guys on the eastcoast do.

Without sounding too soppy, but it is probably the hardest thing I have done leaving her behind but hey we both know it's a great opportunity to have a better life than what we were having back in the UK, SCRAPPING BY day by day!

Anyway, she is asking to come over at Christmas, I am hoping to be in Bahrain as I believe the guys on site here may head over there to celebrate, but it is up to the boss so I am waiting to here. If this happens then great, because there wouldn't be a problem, but if he says no and we have to work (boo) what is the alternative, can she come see me here?

I have not been here long so I am a bit weary about rocking the boat before I have found my feet with the company so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

That way I can stop stringing her along saying 'I will find out'. No doubt I will be in the doghouse either way!

Cheers

Ste
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 9:20 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Girlfriend visiting Riyadh

I am not in Saudi but I am guessing this is a no no. Cohabitating is illegal for starters and how would get her a visa to get in? I don't think it would be much of a holiday for even if she was getting to spend time with you. I think the Bahrain option is definately the better of the two.
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 9:26 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Or meet in Cairo instead.
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 9:30 am
Forum Regular

miuser2 is a jewel in the roughmiuser2 is a jewel in the roughmiuser2 is a jewel in the roughmiuser2 is a jewel in the rough

I don't know how you would be able to get a visa for her, perhaps your company would consider sponsoring her for a business visit visa? Cohabiting is illegal but in practice is unlikely to be a problem for a short visit (especially if you're in a compound). I suspect meeting outside the country is going to be easier.
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 9:42 am
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

In order to get an entry visa - and you must have one BEFORE travellling to Saudi - you need someone to sponsor you. Visit visa / business visa etc etc. Unlike other Gulf countries, you can't get a visa on arrival.

In the case of married couples, the employer sponsors the husband, then the company uses the husbands Iqama to sponsor the wife's visit - or residency.

THis is the only option. Your employer will not sponsor your GF's visit as you're not married. She will not be able to get a visa either without a sponsor, unless she is offered a job out here. You will not be able to personally sponsor her, as you're not married.

There ARE couple here who are unmarried, but both of them are sponsored separately by their individual respective employers, so they have their own Iqama, employer, residency etc etc.

So , options for you.
1 -Get married.
2 -Have a holiday with her in Bahrain.
3 - Err, that's it.

Good luck.
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 9:43 am
Just Joined

sterobbo2k is just really nicesterobbo2k is just really nicesterobbo2k is just really nicesterobbo2k is just really nicesterobbo2k is just really nicesterobbo2k is just really nicesterobbo2k is just really nicesterobbo2k is just really nicesterobbo2k is just really nice

I understand what you are saying, Im obviously new to the country so I am not fully aware of the do's and dont's. I wasn't too optimistic about her coming here, the only benefit would be having a cooked Christmas dinneron the table when I got in from work! or even if she stayed at a nice hotel or something I don't know?

The company did mention in the interview about the visiting visa they could do but I imagine that this is at a cost to them and I haven't been here that long to start asking the question.

So fingers crossed for Bahrain then!!! Even if it is for 4 or 5 days!

Cheers

Ste
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 9:47 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sterobbo2k
I understand what you are saying, Im obviously new to the country so I am not fully aware of the do's and dont's. I wasn't too optimistic about her coming here, the only benefit would be having a cooked Christmas dinneron the table when I got in from work! or even if she stayed at a nice hotel or something I don't know?

The company did mention in the interview about the visiting visa they could do but I imagine that this is at a cost to them and I haven't been here that long to start asking the question.

Cheers

Ste
I can't see her getting a visa to enter even as a tourist
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 11:21 am
Account Closed

weasel central is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers

Ste
I like it, so her role is to cook for you?

seriously there is zero chance of her coming to Riyadh.

not so seriously maybe get a new girlfriend here, most women are liberated enough now to accept that men need other girlfriends when they are abroad.
just ease it into the conversation one evening see how she reacts.

thank me later
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 11:35 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers

Ste
I reckon it's a 'meal for one ' xmas day fella...!
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 11:54 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Get yourself a nice Ethiopean housemaid to cook you Xmas dinner.
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

pranabdc is an unknown quantity at this point

not so seriously maybe get a new girlfriend here, most women are liberated enough now to accept that men need other girlfriends when they are abroad.
just ease it into the conversation one evening see how she reacts.
Seriously, how do you arrange a girlfriend in Riyadh??
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 12:42 pm
Just Joined

I thank you for your sympathies haha... ah well looks like it's a Christmas for me by the pool in 25 degree heat then...oh well life can't be bad! I'm joking of course...I guess it's Bahrain or bust then as they say!!! Hopefully my boss will be one for Christmas spirit and not Bah humbug! If he is Mr. Scrooge feel free to donate some presents to me at my compound!!

Thanks for clearing it up for me
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 1:18 pm
Just Joined

Abdul is an unknown quantity at this point

I am not sure about it, but I can ask one of my Saudi friends who deals with visas matters in his company.
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 1:24 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pranabdc
Have you not heard of Facebook?
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 1:41 pm
Account Closed

weasel central is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pranabdc
*arrange* ...hmm you mean meet and develop a relationship i hope

well the main ways seem to be :

join some kind of club (rugby/football etc) and just meet people through that.

various embassy parties, be your sophisticated sauve self.

internet sleazing through the likes of badoo, or facebook etc but be prepared for an onslaught of gay ahmeds and mohammeds trying to be your special friend.

you'll need a compound or access to one really to take it further than groping in a car parked in the desert also there are some restaurants like spazio and some others where the segregation rules are relaxed a bit. once you are not blatantly taking the piss.

dude you are getting some of my hard earned experience here!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.