British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Girlfriend visiting (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/girlfriend-visiting-888994/)

Kakawax Dec 19th 2016 3:43 am

Girlfriend visiting

My girlfriend wants to visit me in Dubai. The law says we shouldn't share an apartment. Obviously that complicates things. A woman travelling alone, coming for two weeks to the UAE, how much interest is that going to create at immigration.?

Advice please.

scrubbedexpat141 Dec 19th 2016 3:57 am

Re: Girlfriend visiting

Originally Posted by Kakawax (Post 12132207)
My girlfriend wants to visit me in Dubai. The law says we shouldn't share an apartment. Obviously that complicates things. A woman travelling alone, coming for two weeks to the UAE, how much interest is that going to create at immigration.?

Advice please.

None.

Unless she's smoking hot. Then they might stare a bit longer.

Kakawax Dec 19th 2016 4:09 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12132215)

Unless she's smoking hot.

Should be ok then :lol:

DXBtoDOH Dec 19th 2016 4:58 am

This is a blink blink moment.

You'll be fine. Enjoy your girlfriend ;)

jam25mack Dec 19th 2016 5:48 am

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12132239)
Enjoy your girlfriend ;)

Ha ha ha ha! :lol::lol::rofl::rofl:

mikelincs Dec 19th 2016 6:35 am

Just walk along the streets holding hands and kissing... oops missed the 'dont' out from that

Kakawax Dec 19th 2016 6:58 am

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12132239)
This is a blink blink moment.
Enjoy your girlfriend ;)

You can possibly hear the sound of that going right over the top of my head :lol:

Just trying to avoid unnecessary/embarrassing complications at immigration if I invite her over.

Kakawax Dec 19th 2016 7:02 am

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 12132275)
Just walk along the streets holding hands and kissing... oops missed the 'dont' out from that

Only need to get her over here... I can handle it after that :thumbsup:

martinbkk Dec 21st 2016 6:00 pm

Not to suggest anything negative but do bear in mind that unfortunately the nationality of your "lady friend" might play a part in her ease of access.
Assuming she has visa free access then I would not give it a second thought.

carcajou Jan 3rd 2017 4:57 am

It is unlikely to create any interest from immigration. Your bigger worry should be neighbours or security guards/staff at your apartment building dobbing you in to the police or your company, which could result in your termination (I do know multiple instances of that happening).

dominoman Jan 3rd 2017 9:44 am

Originally Posted by carcajou (Post 12141453)
It is unlikely to create any interest from immigration. Your bigger worry should be neighbours or security guards/staff at your apartment building dobbing you in to the police or your company, which could result in your termination (I do know multiple instances of that happening).

You know multiple instances of that happening? Really??

DXBtoDOH Jan 3rd 2017 10:27 am

Don't think I ever heard of anyone being arrested / deported due to a visiting girlfriend in all these years of expat whispers.

Given how common prostitution and ladies of the nights are I doubt the police care if a visitor from abroad is staying with you for a few days ;) or a few years :sneaky:

jam25mack Jan 3rd 2017 10:55 am

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12141581)
Don't think I ever heard of anyone being arrested / deported due to a visiting girlfriend in all these years of expat whispers.

Given how common prostitution and ladies of the nights are I doubt the police care if a visitor from abroad is staying with you for a few days ;) or a few years :sneaky:

Totally.

I know loads of folks who cohabit and aren't married. If you're a westerner they don't care.

mission Jan 4th 2017 9:14 am

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 12141594)
Totally.

I know loads of folks who cohabit and aren't married. If you're a westerner they don't care.

yeah the authorise don't care, until you p*ss someone off and get reported as living as an unmarried couple.

carcajou Jan 5th 2017 4:05 am

Mission - exactly . . .

I know of instances where it was reported and nothing happened; instances where it was reported and people got a stern warning and that was all; and instances where it was reported and people were fired and sent home (which is the most severe penalty I've heard of being given to Westerners - I haven't heard of any Westerners being arrested for it).

I also know of people who co-habitated for years without a problem, and I know of a couple who co-habitated for years - right up to the day they were called into the office and sent home because of it.

The police are very unlikely to initiate any action on their own, but they do respond to complaints filed by members of the public (which can be absolutely anyone). What happens after is murky - it seems to depend on whose desk the complaint lands on, and what type of mood they are in that day. However, you will never find out who made the complaint, nor will you even know that this is going on until after the consequence to you has already been decided.

It is a risk - size of the risk varies but it's not miniscule.