British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Getting a visa for Yemen in the UAE (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/getting-visa-yemen-uae-690945/)

haloola Oct 25th 2010 4:29 pm

Getting a visa for Yemen in the UAE

I need a visa for Yemen and can't get any response from the embassy - emails unanswered and standard answerphone message. Has anyone had to get one since they changed the rules so you can no longer just buy them at the airport? I don't fancy a trip to Dubai or AD from Al Ain only to find the office closed. I'm getting a bit pushed for time.

vastmassive Oct 31st 2010 8:00 am

Re: Getting a visa for Yemen in the UAE

I can imagine that it is the same as the Saudi visa Process, in this case the embassy is not interested untill you apply with a typing center we provide the services for Saudi visa's and I can find out about yemeni visa's if you are still looking

haloola Oct 31st 2010 8:01 am

Originally Posted by vastmassive (Post 8952683)
I can imagine that it is the same as the Saudi visa Process, in this case the embassy is not interested untill you apply with a typing center we provide the services for Saudi visa's and I can find out about yemeni visa's if you are still looking

Yes please!

Autonomy Oct 31st 2010 9:37 am

Originally Posted by haloola (Post 8941278)
I need a visa for Yemen and can't get any response from the embassy - emails unanswered and standard answerphone message. Has anyone had to get one since they changed the rules so you can no longer just buy them at the airport? I don't fancy a trip to Dubai or AD from Al Ain only to find the office closed. I'm getting a bit pushed for time.

Did they change it? 2 years ago they were issued on arrival for British Passports...

Roadking Oct 31st 2010 9:38 am

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 8952783)
Did they change it? 2 years ago they were issued on arrival for British Passports...

Same, same last year. Got it on arrival.

haloola Oct 31st 2010 9:45 am

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 8952783)

They did - since the attempted bombing at Christmas was traced to Anwar al-Awlaki. They want to stop would-be western extremists from entering so any european/American visitors have to get their visas in advance with a supporting letter.

weasel central Oct 31st 2010 9:55 am

its changed since jan 2010, pre organised visa required. you get the actual visa in the airport but you must have the visa letter from issued to present to them.

weasel central Oct 31st 2010 9:58 am

Originally Posted by haloola (Post 8952793)
They did - since the attempted bombing at Christmas was traced to Anwar al-Awlaki. They want to stop would-be western extremists from entering so any european/American visitors have to get their visas in advance with a supporting letter.

so still no luck? things have probably gotten a little tighter since the UPS stuff this weekend.

haloola Oct 31st 2010 10:01 am

Originally Posted by weasel central (Post 8952809)
so still no luck? things have probably gotten a little tighter since the UPS stuff this weekend.

No - but I'm still waiting for my sponsor in Socotra to fax my supporting letter anyway. They're sooooo slooooooooooow :)

Didn't know you could collect the visa in the airport though - I'll check it out, might save me hassle.

Things still going well over there?

weasel central Oct 31st 2010 10:08 am

Originally Posted by haloola (Post 8952815)
No - but I'm still waiting for my sponsor in Socotra to fax my supporting letter anyway. They're sooooo slooooooooooow :)

Didn't know you could collect the visa in the airport though - I'll check it out, might save me hassle.

what you get is an A4 sheet emailed to you with the visa details etc, so when you get to the airport you give this to the guy in a booth before passport control and he attaches the visa to your passport.. you need this A4 sheet to present it for the visa.

yeah so far so good, i like the place despite their tendency to want to shoot foreigners or bomb cargo planes!

Autonomy Oct 31st 2010 10:20 am

Originally Posted by haloola (Post 8952815)

Are you going to Socotra? Man that place looks amazing...

Would love to visit there sometime - although anywhere outside of Sana'a worries me a bit...

haloola Oct 31st 2010 10:22 am

Originally Posted by weasel central (Post 8952823)
what you get is an A4 sheet emailed to you with the visa details etc, so when you get to the airport you give this to the guy in a booth before passport control and he attaches the visa to your passport.. you need this A4 sheet to present it for the visa.

yeah so far so good, i like the place despite their tendency to want to shoot foreigners or bomb cargo planes!

Ah OK. And you get the A4 sheet from the embassy after giving them your sponsorship letter and fees? Actually, I'm not sure I trust the organisation of Yemen that much - would rather have it pritt-sticked to my passport before getting on the plane!!

haloola Oct 31st 2010 10:28 am

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 8952836)
Are you going to Socotra? Man that place looks amazing...

Would love to visit there sometime - although anywhere outside of Sana'a worries me a bit...

I am! I have a few projects over there - this'll be my fifth visit. It is amazing but not quite as pristine as everyone makes out (we scientists don't like to encourage tourism, we want it all to ourselves, hehehe)!!

Socotra is absolutely completely 100% safe. They don't even allow guns on the island (only the soldiers). The thing that worry's me most is the overnight stay in Sana'a, although I've never had any problems there either. If you want to go, you literally land in Sana'a, taxi straight to the airport and come back early the next morning for the flight to Socotra. Friendliest people of anywhere I've ever been - both Socotra and Sana'a.

weasel central Oct 31st 2010 10:42 am

Originally Posted by haloola (Post 8952837)
Ah OK. And you get the A4 sheet from the embassy after giving them your sponsorship letter and fees? Actually, I'm not sure I trust the organisation of Yemen that much - would rather have it pritt-sticked to my passport before getting on the plane!!

yeah well its sort of an official looking document, it appears just like the embassy or whoever apply online and it is mailed to them to print and give to you.
I dont think you'll get the visa because they want to make sure you are actually there before its pasted into your passport. if there is no one in the booth, it will be the guy in the hall having a smoke.

haloola Oct 31st 2010 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by weasel central (Post 8952856)
yeah well its sort of an official looking document, it appears just like the embassy or whoever apply online and it is mailed to them to print and give to you.
I dont think you'll get the visa because they want to make sure you are actually there before its pasted into your passport. if there is no one in the booth, it will be the guy in the hall having a smoke.

Thanks for the info. When I went in Feb I got the visa no prob from the embassy in london. Should have got a year's visa before i came to the UAE. Still these things usually work out in the end.

lol, yeah- and chewing qat!