Reload this Page >

Getting a UAE driving licence with UK endorsements

Getting a UAE driving licence with UK endorsements

Old Jun 19th 2008, 11:44 am
Just Joined

Brandy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting a UAE driving licence with UK endorsements

Hello,

My cousin is moving to Dubai to join me soon but is worried about getting a UAE licence because his UK licence has been endorsed with a drink-drive conviction. I know they (absolutely rightly) take this very seriously out here and he couldn't be more ashamed but will this stop him getting a UAE licence?

Thanks.
Old Jun 19th 2008, 11:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Chris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting a UAE driving licence with UK endorsements

Originally Posted by Brandy View Post
Hello,

My cousin is moving to Dubai to join me soon but is worried about getting a UAE licence because his UK licence has been endorsed with a drink-drive conviction. I know they (absolutely rightly) take this very seriously out here and he couldn't be more ashamed but will this stop him getting a UAE licence?

Thanks.
I have 9 points on my UK licence or speeding. They never even looked at my UK licence as I just gave them my International Driving Permit. Maybe it would be a good idea for him to get one of them. You can get them in most big post offices in the UK.
I'm hoping by the time i get back to the UK my points will be ready to come off
Old Jun 19th 2008, 11:52 am
Just Joined

Brandy is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh right, thanks, I will tell him.
Old Jun 19th 2008, 11:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brandy View Post
Oh right, thanks, I will tell him.
Yep, I had 6 points on mine and got a UAE one without an eyelid batting.

Does your cousin just have points, or does it have words on the license to the effect of "drink-driving imbecile"?
Old Jun 19th 2008, 11:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Chris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie View Post
Yep, I had 6 points on mine and got a UAE one without an eyelid batting.

Does your cousin just have points, or does it have words on the license to the effect of "drink-driving imbecile"?
Thats a bit harsh Mr SYB.
I've a funny feeling that I will still be over the limit tomorrow morning driving back to Abu Dhabi. I need to find a good greasy spoon, tell your sis I want a full English breakfast please
Old Jun 19th 2008, 12:00 pm
100% British Beef

Bison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond repute

You don't need an international driving permit to get a UAE licence, but you will need one to hire a car before getting a UAE licence.

It is a simple process, you go to the RTA (Road Traffic Authority) and have an eye test, they fill out a form and you pay about 150 chips for the privelage of getting a UAE licence issued.

I only showed them my Photocard Licence, they do not ask to see the paper counterpart which will have the points on it.

Bison
Old Jun 19th 2008, 12:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond repute

Truth is that if we had to take another test in the UAE we would all fail !!!!!

We would not be able to drive erratically enough to pass !
Old Jun 21st 2008, 3:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

beware that they do ask for both the card and paper version of your licence usually, but they wont even look at the english writing on it!
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 1:55 pm

Coxy the Bear is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by busybee2 View Post
beware that they do ask for both the card and paper version of your licence usually, but they wont even look at the english writing on it!
Beg to differ, they didn't ask for the paper part of mine or any other Brits I know here. I actually offered mine and they gave it straight back.

Last edited by Coxy the Bear; Jun 22nd 2008 at 1:56 pm. Reason: missed a bit....
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 2:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

well they did the ones that i know, so as always, it depends on the mood of the people on the day.