Reload this Page >

Getting some tax back

Getting some tax back

Old Mar 24th 2013, 5:32 pm
Forum Regular

Razo75 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Getting some tax back

Evening

I came to the UAE 29th aug 2012, initially for 5 weeks but ended up staying, and have not been back to the uk, thus being out the uk for7 months of the current tax year, I sent off a p85 last month, will I be entitled to any tax back?

Cheers
Old Mar 24th 2013, 6:16 pm
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting some tax back

Probably, due to the way the PAYE system allocates your Personal Allowance on a monthly basis. All you need do is write a letter to HMRC explaining your change in circumstances and ask for a tax rebate.

Also, you have an opportunity before 5th April to open a private pension, e.g. an online SIPP and make a contribution to receive an tax rebate from HMRC at your highest marginal tax rate (20% automatic and the balance by letter or tax return).

As an expat, you can contribute £2,880 to your pension each year for 5 years and receive £720 free each year from HMRC, automatically. Worth having.

Remember that to become UK non-resident for tax purposes, you need to work full-time under an employment contract for a full tax year overseas and limit your visits to the UK (See HMRC6 Section 8.5), in your case until 6th April 2014 (Backdated under the split-year concession to the day after you left the UK). Otherwise you remain UK resident and will have to pay full UK Income Tax and NI on all your UK and overseas earnings, including allowances.

Hope this helps.
Old Mar 27th 2013, 5:54 pm
Forum Regular

Razo75 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Getting some tax back

That's great cheers for the reply