British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   getting my iqama (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/getting-my-iqama-689017/)

yrsammit Oct 10th 2010 9:02 pm

getting my iqama

So I've been here in Riyadh a week and a half, and I need to get my iqama. My (American) employer told us to get 6 passport photos and get a medical exam, and turn both into our boss. They didn't tell us where to get the exam or what to ask for or where we get the paperwork or anything. Can anyone suggest where to go, and how to get there (like, would a taxi know where it's at), do I need to make an appointment, etc? Or are there any other tips/tricks for completing the iqama process? Where should I go to get the passport photos? (yeah, I'm really new here)

Thanks! :)

arc en ciel Oct 10th 2010 9:16 pm

Re: getting my iqama

It's your employer's responsibility, go back to them and tell them to stop p1ssing you about, it's down to them not you.

lionheart Oct 11th 2010 8:45 am

If you are unable to find out where to get passport photos, I dread to think what will happen when things get really complicated. Try one of the umpteen photo studios around the city.

yrsammit Oct 11th 2010 9:53 am

Geez, thanks for the support guys... I'm still really new here and learning my way around, just thought I could ask for some advice. There's nothing obvious about this city for me. Neither my Saudi nor American employers have been very helpful so far in providing us with information, so I'm trying to take some initiative myself. I guess I should ask elsewhere.

lionheart Oct 11th 2010 10:58 am

You're welcome. Feel free to ask for help when you encounter a serious problem, like trying to open an off-shore banking account for example.

coffindodger Oct 11th 2010 11:04 am

Originally Posted by yrsammit (Post 8910594)
Geez, thanks for the support guys... I'm still really new here and learning my way around, just thought I could ask for some advice. There's nothing obvious about this city for me. Neither my Saudi nor American employers have been very helpful so far in providing us with information, so I'm trying to take some initiative myself. I guess I should ask elsewhere.

Ok It is up to your employer who ever they there, you should have a PRO a Mr Fixit type person.
It is up to him to sort out all these types of problems
Try any small picture / photo shops, shame where you are there are not many around that part of town, but he malls side streets etc.
Make sure the passport picture are on a white back ground and try to get them on a memory chip,or when he prints them off do not let him cut them up.
Scan them into your computer and hey ho they are there for next time
saving you time and money and hassle.

Your company should have a local yokel as your sponser , he should provide your Mr Fixit.
Simple really
give me a nudge if i can be any more help

Mackers 69 Oct 12th 2010 3:41 pm

Feeling your pain mate!
I Had this website recommended to me before i moved out & the first time i came on too check it out i was literally gobsmacked by how rude some people are on here.
Good luck with everything , i hope it all works out for you.:)

yrsammit Oct 12th 2010 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by Mackers 69 (Post 8913531)
Feeling your pain mate!
I Had this website recommended to me before i moved out & the first time i came on too check it out i was literally gobsmacked by how rude some people are on here.
Good luck with everything , i hope it all works out for you.:)

Thanks bud. Yeah, I feel like getting my iqama is a pretty serious issue, since I don't want to be kicked out of the country before completing my contract, and I'd like to open a bank account so I can get paid. I guess that's not a "serious" enough issue to ask about.

I ended up hailing a taxi, showing him an old photo, and miming taking a photograph. He took me around the corner to a studio, only 25 riyals for 8 photos, blatantly photoshopped so I looked like a porcelain doll, haha.

Someone recommended Al-Woroud Medical Center to me, so I looked up the number online and the Al-Woroud district on my map, and I called the number and had them speak to a taxi driver to get there. I wish someone had told me I was in for yet another stool test, luckily I was able to perform :p

coffindodger Oct 13th 2010 4:52 am

Please remember this is your sponsers problem.!!!
It could be a waste of time you going to any clinic for the medical tests
These have to be completed by certain licensed and on the list of centres for this type of medical.
Other wise you could have wasted a lot of time and i hope not your money.

This is once again this is your sponsers problem.
Re your salary you cannot do any thing untill you have your iquama,
Some companies only deal with xyz bank.
I understand your problems i have been there many time before.
But this is up to your sponser to sort this out.

Please dont get me wrong i am not having a go at you here ok.

Pm me if you want to meet up on Thursday evening.

Originally Posted by yrsammit (Post 8914004)
Thanks bud. Yeah, I feel like getting my iqama is a pretty serious issue, since I don't want to be kicked out of the country before completing my contract, and I'd like to open a bank account so I can get paid. I guess that's not a "serious" enough issue to ask about.

I ended up hailing a taxi, showing him an old photo, and miming taking a photograph. He took me around the corner to a studio, only 25 riyals for 8 photos, blatantly photoshopped so I looked like a porcelain doll, haha.

Someone recommended Al-Woroud Medical Center to me, so I looked up the number online and the Al-Woroud district on my map, and I called the number and had them speak to a taxi driver to get there. I wish someone had told me I was in for yet another stool test, luckily I was able to perform :p

ShawJ Oct 13th 2010 7:06 pm

I agree with coffindodger, your sponsor should sort most of what you need for your Iqama application, though getting your own photo's should be no big deal.

It is possible to get a temporary bank account so you can pay in cheques, transfer money etc while your Iqama is being processed but you only get limited time before they will close the account...you will need a letter from your sponsor though...

Who is your sponsor?

Jason

prwatts Oct 15th 2010 11:07 am

Hi, this is my recent experience and yes, no-one tells you what the process is, which is amazing because everyone has to do it. And people use different terms - below I use the Terms of the Saudi Gvt Website

1. You are in your home country and you get the job
2. Co. usually brings you into KSA on a Business Visa, arranged in your home country. This is valid for 1, 3 or 6 months.
3. In my case, 3 months probation, have to get out KSA every 30 days to re-stamp Business Visa - this is the so-called visa run.
4. After 3 months probation successful, Co. sends me back to home country to apply for a Work Visa. In my case, UK, I go to London, do a detailed Medical in Harley Street and the Visa Agent I use then runs around and gets the Work Visa.
5. Come back to KSA - the Work Visa is valid 90 days.
6. At Airport the Immigration Guy takes a picture and electronic scan of fingerprints (Biometrics) and puts into the Computer.
7. Come to work and my Co. (Saudi Co) then must apply for a Work Permit within those 90 Days. Another Medical, this time I have, for the first time in my life, to sh_t into a little bottle. Bluddy hell I'm 55, it was a struggle. All the data somehow goes into Skynet.
8. Then the Co. Driver takes me to the Biometrics place to register my photo and fingerprints - they check the ones done at the airport, they were ok. Quickly, I'm outta there.
9. 2 days later the driver dude turns up with my passport with a Work Permit card stapled into it.
10. Now I have to get the Residence Permit = Iqama. That's tomorrow.
It is impossible to do this unless you are a Saudi and can speak Arabic = the Co. has to do it for you - anyway it is their obligation - they are the ones asking the Gvt to grant them.
11. The Driver's licence - 2-3 days
12. THEN I can buy the damed motorcycle I have been eyeing for 3 months...

And that's my story, so far. I am into Month 5 in The Kingdom.

As a friend said 'It's a lesson in patience' he's been here 10 years.....

Peter

yrsammit Oct 15th 2010 11:44 am

Originally Posted by prwatts (Post 8919952)
1. You are in your home country and you get the job
2. Co. usually brings you into KSA on a Business Visa, arranged in your home country. This is valid for 1, 3 or 6 months.
3. In my case, 3 months probation, have to get out KSA every 30 days to re-stamp Business Visa - this is the so-called visa run.
4. After 3 months probation successful, Co. sends me back to home country to apply for a Work Visa. In my case, UK, I go to London, do a detailed Medical in Harley Street and the Visa Agent I use then runs around and gets the Work Visa.
5. Come back to KSA - the Work Visa is valid 90 days.
6. At Airport the Immigration Guy takes a picture and electronic scan of fingerprints (Biometrics) and puts into the Computer.
7. Come to work and my Co. (Saudi Co) then must apply for a Work Permit within those 90 Days. Another Medical, this time I have, for the first time in my life, to sh_t into a little bottle. Bluddy hell I'm 55, it was a struggle. All the data somehow goes into Skynet.
8. Then the Co. Driver takes me to the Biometrics place to register my photo and fingerprints - they check the ones done at the airport, they were ok. Quickly, I'm outta there.
9. 2 days later the driver dude turns up with my passport with a Work Permit card stapled into it.
10. Now I have to get the Residence Permit = Iqama. That's tomorrow.
It is impossible to do this unless you are a Saudi and can speak Arabic = the Co. has to do it for you - anyway it is their obligation - they are the ones asking the Gvt to grant them.
11. The Driver's licence - 2-3 days
12. THEN I can buy the damed motorcycle I have been eyeing for 3 months...
Peter

Thanks for this, it's nice to know a little about the actual process that's occurring above my head. I had the very elaborate medical exam in the states and I'm here with a 90 day work visa. They did fingerprint me at the airport, fortunately. I guess I'm currently at step 8.

To clarify, I was told to visit the Al-Woroud center from a colleague, who heard from a higher up. I can see now that it was rash to try to take care things myself, but fortunately I found out afterwards that that center was where I was supposed to go.

Now we're supposed to turn in our photos and medical form to our boss, who turns them in to his boss (these are all Americans), who then does I-don't-know-what with them. But she's waiting until she has all of them to process/submit them, so I really hope it's done in time to get us paid and especially in time for the Hajj holiday.

Thanks again for the help everyone. Hopefully this thread will be helpful for anyone in the future seeking this information.

prwatts Oct 15th 2010 12:09 pm

As Mr Coffindodger said, the local company has to do it.
My company arranged my medical at the Dallah Hospital.
When I arrived the paperwork was ready and it was quite quick, except for my embarrasing stool sample. I hope you can 'cr@p on demand' - well now you are pre-warned so it should be ok :thumbup:

Then I left and the company collected the medical report a few days later.
I would say it is impossible for a foreigner or foreign company to do it - your sponsor has to do it - that is your US company's agent/local partner/local entity.

Fugative Oct 15th 2010 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by prwatts (Post 8920033)
As Mr Coffindodger said, the local company has to do it.
My company arranged my medical at the Dallah Hospital.
When I arrived the paperwork was ready and it was quite quick, except for my embarrasing stool sample. I hope you can 'cr@p on demand' - well now you are pre-warned so it should be ok :thumbup:

Then I left and the company collected the medical report a few days later.
I would say it is impossible for a foreigner or foreign company to do it - your sponsor has to do it - that is your US company's agent/local partner/local entity.

Alas the magic kingdom
I did 3 months probation, no medical in UK
had to have 2 medical attempts 1st 80S/R no stool sample but requested ammr letter so had to find different one 100s/r no letter but this gave me the pleasure of providing stool sample, with customery no paper supplied,lol
3photos and job done.
Papers past to company should take 6 days inchala still waiting after 2 weeks.
No bank account and use office boys western union card to transfer money every month, just keep what u need.
Photos there is always shop near hospital or polyclinic
good luck

Dubai GRO Oct 16th 2010 4:49 am

Originally Posted by yrsammit (Post 8909482)
So I've been here in Riyadh a week and a half, and I need to get my iqama. My (American) employer told us to get 6 passport photos and get a medical exam, and turn both into our boss. They didn't tell us where to get the exam or what to ask for or where we get the paperwork or anything. Can anyone suggest where to go, and how to get there (like, would a taxi know where it's at), do I need to make an appointment, etc? Or are there any other tips/tricks for completing the iqama process? Where should I go to get the passport photos? (yeah, I'm really new here)

Thanks! :)

OMG.. do they make you do the job in Saudi :blink: ... In UAE, you have a PRO or GRO to do that for ya.... yuppyyyyy!