getting my iqama

Old Oct 16th 2010, 6:14 am
Forum Regular

prwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really nice
Default Re: getting my iqama

Oh the East Chermans would be proud of the bureaucracy here...and it has to be followed, the rules is the rules.
Old Oct 17th 2010, 9:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

MaserMan is an unknown quantity at this point

It really is all down to your company, I have been in kingdom 4weeks, got my iqama on the wednesday of the 3rd week, turned up for work on the Saturday and was taken by one of our Gov. affairs guys to the driving school and had my drivers licence in 30 minutes. Pocket sr400 lighter.

The system here works well, it is just the people administarting it that cause the problems. If you do not have the support system of your company/sponser then it would be a nightmare.

Good luck.
Old Oct 18th 2010, 4:25 am
Forum Regular

prwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really nice

Originally Posted by MaserMan
It really is all down to your company, I have been in kingdom 4weeks, got my iqama on the wednesday of the 3rd week, turned up for work on the Saturday and was taken by one of our Gov. affairs guys to the driving school and had my drivers licence in 30 minutes. Pocket sr400 lighter.

The system here works well, it is just the people administarting it that cause the problems. If you do not have the support system of your company/sponser then it would be a nightmare.

Good luck.
I would not say the system works well. It sucks and so do the clowns running it. I have been here 5 months and EVERYTHING is like bluddy herding cats in a dog kennel. The country and people are nice but the system is rotten. Try and put yourself in the tea-boy's position for a week. The place runs on intrigue and back-stabbing and kick-backs. You are obviously one of the lucky few with a good Mr Fix-it. My CEO has to approve me going home for a break over Eid. He refused my leave for my father's funeral. No, I am anti these guys. The top dogs live well and everyone else eats ---t.
Old Oct 18th 2010, 4:27 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MaserMan

Good luck.
And another thing: are you working for a Gvt Co. or a private co. international? Makes a big difference.
Old Oct 18th 2010, 4:44 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by prwatts
He refused my leave for my father's funeral
that's a new low.
Old Oct 18th 2010, 8:39 am
BE Enthusiast

MaserMan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by prwatts
And another thing: are you working for a Gvt Co. or a private co. international? Makes a big difference.
PLC
Old Apr 17th 2011, 9:44 pm
Just Joined

Stormers is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Temporary Work Visa

I'm in Saudi on a temporary work visa valid for 3 months, the plan is to send me home after 3 months to get my permanent visa. I'm now in the probation period.

I'm in my 2nd month, but this company is terrible. Can I leave before the probation period on my own expense and return without a NOC and work for another company?

Please advise?
Old Apr 17th 2011, 10:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Temporary Work Visa

Originally Posted by Stormers
I'm in Saudi on a temporary work visa valid for 3 months, the plan is to send me home after 3 months to get my permanent visa. I'm now in the probation period.

I'm in my 2nd month, but this company is terrible. Can I leave before the probation period on my own expense and return without a NOC and work for another company?

Please advise?
From my understanding, you don't need a letter of no objection ( NOC ) but more of a Certificate. THe Certificate is more generic and a kind of 'To WHom It May Concern' type. THe NOC would *probably* be more specifically addressed to the new employer / sponsor.

If you leave before the end of the probation, it would be at own expense, but make sure you can get your passport back without a hitch.

Good luck.
Old Apr 18th 2011, 4:59 am
Forum Regular

function_analysis is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm also in Saudi on a temporary work visa as many other colleagues here around. I'm on my second week now BUT I have the passport at hand. As such our probabtion period is something of an 'unforeseen situation', an informal agreement between us and the employer that doesn't fall into the Saudi labor law. At least to the best of my knowledge I don't need NOC to leave the country nor does the Saudi law requires so.

Good luck to all, PM if you might need anything

Originally Posted by Stormers

Please advise?

Last edited by function_analysis; Apr 18th 2011 at 5:02 am.
Old Apr 18th 2011, 7:03 am
Just Joined

Stormers is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nottmbantam
From my understanding, you don't need a letter of no objection ( NOC ) but more of a Certificate. THe Certificate is more generic and a kind of 'To WHom It May Concern' type. THe NOC would *probably* be more specifically addressed to the new employer / sponsor.

If you leave before the end of the probation, it would be at own expense, but make sure you can get your passport back without a hitch.

Good luck.
Thanks a lot, lets hope I can get my passport back without any problems. I'll phone the embassy if needed, but lets see what happens.

I'm definitely going to leave this company. I hate dishonesty.
Old May 25th 2011, 8:06 am
Forum Regular

John7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by yrsammit
So I've been here in Riyadh a week and a half, and I need to get my iqama. My (American) employer told us to get 6 passport photos and get a medical exam, and turn both into our boss. They didn't tell us where to get the exam or what to ask for or where we get the paperwork or anything. Can anyone suggest where to go, and how to get there (like, would a taxi know where it's at), do I need to make an appointment, etc? Or are there any other tips/tricks for completing the iqama process? Where should I go to get the passport photos? (yeah, I'm really new here)

Thanks!
What a nightmare.

In Saudi Arabia all government related applications for Iqama and others must be done through a Saudi PRO. What kind of a company is it that doesn't have a PRO or an HR Department to process such applications

It is the prime responsibility of the Sponsor / Manager to fix these things for you
Old May 26th 2011, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

yrsammit is just really niceyrsammit is just really niceyrsammit is just really niceyrsammit is just really niceyrsammit is just really niceyrsammit is just really niceyrsammit is just really niceyrsammit is just really nice

Originally Posted by John7
What a nightmare.

In Saudi Arabia all government related applications for Iqama and others must be done through a Saudi PRO. What kind of a company is it that doesn't have a PRO or an HR Department to process such applications

It is the prime responsibility of the Sponsor / Manager to fix these things for you
I made this thread back in October. I'm still here, somehow, but our unbelievably awful company is in a world of trouble. They have a huge lawsuit, they're losing their contract and hemorrhaging money left and right, UNESCO and human rights organizations are investigating, etc etc. The phrase "white-collar trafficking" has been thrown around. The iqama issue was the tip of the iceberg for us. Unfortunately, from what I've read and heard, this isn't all that uncommon in Saudi Arabia. Our company was just extra incompetent on top of being deceitful.

What to take away from this: do your research before coming here. Check out the company. Know exactly what promises you can count on and how they will be implemented and in what time frame. If you don't take precautions, you're setting yourself up to be abused without recourse (other than by incurring significant financial loss by the waste of time and money trying to leave when your company basically won't let you).
Old May 27th 2011, 3:54 am
Forum Regular

The phrase "white-collar trafficking" has been thrown around.

..., you're setting yourself up to be abused without recourse (other than by incurring significant financial loss by the waste of time and money trying to leave when your company basically won't let you).

Yes. And another thing: The level of management expertise and business competence here is astonishingly poor. No clue of any form of Business Management and they mostly behave towards foreigners as they did serfs 300 years ago. They believe we are all here because we are so desperate and so will tolerate the same abuse as our Asian counterparts.

The corruption is also amazing.

I take it month-by-month depending on getting (always late) last month's wage.

The best way to be here is still as part of a foreign company.
Old May 28th 2011, 11:08 am
Forum Regular

John7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by yrsammit
I made this thread back in October. I'm still here, somehow, but our unbelievably awful company is in a world of trouble. They have a huge lawsuit, they're losing their contract and hemorrhaging money left and right, UNESCO and human rights organizations are investigating, etc etc. The phrase "white-collar trafficking" has been thrown around. The iqama issue was the tip of the iceberg for us. Unfortunately, from what I've read and heard, this isn't all that uncommon in Saudi Arabia. Our company was just extra incompetent on top of being deceitful.

What to take away from this: do your research before coming here. Check out the company. Know exactly what promises you can count on and how they will be implemented and in what time frame. If you don't take precautions, you're setting yourself up to be abused without recourse (other than by incurring significant financial loss by the waste of time and money trying to leave when your company basically won't let you).
Hope that you will have a better luck next time, although it was not a surprise to know these results about this company
Old May 31st 2011, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

irich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really nice

I would be careful in choosing to work directly for a Saudi company. I would seek separate recommendations from existing ex-pat employees that could attest to the integrity of that company.

Unfortunately the whole Sponsor & Igama system can be abused here, and often is.

Do your homework before comitting to a position here. Western companies operating in the Kingdom are normally OK. Many local companies can also be good employers. However, if you get in with a bad one, you will find yourself in a very difficult situation.