Getting a cat

Old Apr 22nd 2008, 4:53 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Getting a cat

Well a kitten actually,

me and mrs spugsy loves cats, I used to have one, he was the business, but then he got ran over and killed, and it was all very sad,

Anyway a girl I know out here, her cat has just had 6 kittens and we'd love to get one, I mean really love to, but we're not sure,

basically we're at work all day, so we'd have to leave the cat in the house, although we have a maids quarters and oddly enough a large kennel outside, I could easily put stuff in there for it, but then again its probably too hot, can you leave them in the house?

Also what happens when we go back to the UK in a few years? How do I get the little fella home? does it have to go in quarantine or do I get a pet passport???

Any advice then, we want one but don't want to be unfair on the cat.

Old Apr 22nd 2008, 5:58 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting a cat

Originally Posted by Spugsy
Well a kitten actually,

me and mrs spugsy loves cats, I used to have one, he was the business, but then he got ran over and killed, and it was all very sad,

Anyway a girl I know out here, her cat has just had 6 kittens and we'd love to get one, I mean really love to, but we're not sure,

basically we're at work all day, so we'd have to leave the cat in the house, although we have a maids quarters and oddly enough a large kennel outside, I could easily put stuff in there for it, but then again its probably too hot, can you leave them in the house?

Also what happens when we go back to the UK in a few years? How do I get the little fella home? does it have to go in quarantine or do I get a pet passport???

Cats are fine left in during day - we have 2, let them out on evening/weekends, they just sleep during day.

Get a pet passport and vaccinations, after a month they should have all clear to travel (need annual boosters).

You also need to get a municipality tag for the cat(s), without these they can be classed as strays and whacked. The vets can advise you on all of this.

Not sure if it is compulsory to get them chipped, we had ours done anyway.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 6:03 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
Cats are fine left in during day - we have 2, let them out on evening/weekends, they just sleep during day.

Get a pet passport and vaccinations, after a month they should have all clear to travel (need annual boosters).

You also need to get a municipality tag for the cat(s), without these they can be classed as strays and whacked. The vets can advise you on all of this.

Not sure if it is compulsory to get them chipped, we had ours done anyway.
ace, we really want one but were't so sure.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 6:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

MH can supply you with a nice little kitten!
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 6:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond repute

Dont know if dogs are different as far as the passport goes,but I had to go through alsorts to get her out here.Its not just the rabies they need to have.took me ages.they do need chipping before they have the rabies.everything has to be spot on or it will end up in quarantine in the UK.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 6:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Well a kitten actually,

a lot of people here have house cats. which never go outside. one of my housemates has one and P2P has 2.

think if you let them out they are going to have trouble with the strays which are everywhere in Dubai.

should be no problem in that palace like villa you have!
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 7:01 am
why ayeeeee man!

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
a lot of people here have house cats. which never go outside. one of my housemates has one and P2P has 2.

think if you let them out they are going to have trouble with the strays which are everywhere in Dubai.

should be no problem in that palace like villa you have!
aye there's enough room for it, mrs spugsy is worried about the furniture getting ripped and torn but bollocks, I'm not that bothered.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 7:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Border Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in the process of shipping a rather cute Flame Point Himalayan back to the UK (looks a bit like a white Persian but with red points on his ears and tail. Looks better than I have just made him sound anyway....).

Dubai Kennels and Cattery can help you out with what needs to be done, as can a good vet, but basically you need to have vaccinations up to date, chip, and a blood test. The blood test can't be done too soon (or too long) after the vaccinations, and it is only valid for a certain length of time- it also costs about 800Dhs and is stressful for the cat so you need to plan ahead- about six months before you actually want the animal on an aeroplane should do it if you are starting from scratch.

There is no problem leaving cats indoors all the time, many cats here live in apartments (mine included) and are quite happy. The only problem you might have is if you take a cat which has been used to the great outdoors and try to keep it inside. If you are starting with a kitten you will be fine.

There are lots of pet sitters and catterys which will look after you little bundle of joy when you go on holiday, but with varying levels of competence. As ever, personal recommendation is the way to go.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 7:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Border Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond repute

If you have a cat or especially a kitten in the house then sooner or later something is going to get broken, but is is worth it. The secret with the furniture is to give them something better to sharpen their claws on, like a scratching post. You can also buy sprays to discourage cats from areas you don't want them getting too close to.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 7:12 am
why ayeeeee man!

Originally Posted by Border Reiver
I'm in the process of shipping a rather cute Flame Point Himalayan back to the UK (looks a bit like a white Persian but with red points on his ears and tail. Looks better than I have just made him sound anyway....).

Dubai Kennels and Cattery can help you out with what needs to be done, as can a good vet, but basically you need to have vaccinations up to date, chip, and a blood test. The blood test can't be done too soon (or too long) after the vaccinations, and it is only valid for a certain length of time- it also costs about 800Dhs and is stressful for the cat so you need to plan ahead- about six months before you actually want the animal on an aeroplane should do it if you are starting from scratch.

There is no problem leaving cats indoors all the time, many cats here live in apartments (mine included) and are quite happy. The only problem you might have is if you take a cat which has been used to the great outdoors and try to keep it inside. If you are starting with a kitten you will be fine.

There are lots of pet sitters and catterys which will look after you little bundle of joy when you go on holiday, but with varying levels of competence. As ever, personal recommendation is the way to go.
thats great, thanks loads, I'll forward that to mrs spugsy and hopefully she'll agree.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 7:14 am
Hammer for Life

BangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond repute

aye there's enough room for it, mrs spugsy is worried about the furniture getting ripped and torn but bollocks, I'm not that bothered.
Stick your giant Toon flag over the furniture, that should be enough to put the little fella off going near your stuff
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 7:22 am
Just Joined

charlie03 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
I would suggest getting 2 cats. I have 2 Burmese (chocolate and lilac), they keep each other company and don't wreck the house as much.

I wouldn't go for 2 males though as they can be very territorial.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 7:22 am
why ayeeeee man!

Originally Posted by BangleMan
Stick your giant Toon flag over the furniture, that should be enough to put the little fella off going near your stuff
shut it you
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 7:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

the likeness is uncanny...

MM, xx
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 7:26 am
why ayeeeee man!

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
the likeness is uncanny...

MM, xx
Aye, almost eerily so.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.