British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   This is getting bloody ridiculous........ (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/getting-bloody-ridiculous-510354/)

Bob Jan 31st 2008 4:36 pm

Re: This is getting bloody ridiculous........

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 5862990)
I think we should do one thread and have it made into a sticky with approx costs for rents, different areas etc, approximate school fees - with this link ... http://www.bsme.org.uk/schools/ - takes you straight to list of all schools here. Then a bit about grocery shopping/cost of living etc. I am pretty sure that most people don't bother with the wiki :(

aye, but the schools thing is already listed in the wiki...people just need a good kicking :lol:

Bob Jan 31st 2008 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 5864906)

Sue - Does that mean ANYONE can edit/alter/etc the thing I spent a whole weekend writing about life in Saudi?

in the wiki, yes, but it can easily be reverted.

The Dean Jan 31st 2008 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 5864976)

Bob,

Thanks for that.

Don't worry - I didn't get much response anyway - just the 3 or 4 from Page 1 of this thread..........

Forget I mentioned it.

Sue Jan 31st 2008 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 5864906)
Just do it then - I have NO interest in writing something for the 'wiki' (crazy name, crazy facility...!!!)....... my ego insists on being top of the bill.

Sue - Does that mean ANYONE can edit/alter/etc the thing I spent a whole weekend writing about life in Saudi?

Yes, thats the whole point of it. People can add or edit a current page or create new pages.

Sue Jan 31st 2008 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 5864976)

Bob, is correct. If anyone came along and did something drastic to it we could revert back to the original

t19hlr Feb 1st 2008 9:05 am

Why not create a sub-forum for topics related to specific "moving abroad" questions? That way people can't edit something Dean or anyone else will write, and it will be easier for people to search previous postings.

Sue Feb 1st 2008 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by t19hlr (Post 5868414)
Why not create a sub-forum for topics related to specific "moving abroad" questions? That way people can't edit something Dean or anyone else will write, and it will be easier for people to search previous postings.

We already have one

Blue Cat Feb 1st 2008 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by Sue (Post 5869435)
We already have one

:rofl::rofl: we know Sue but the newbies don't and when we say check the wiki it sounds like we aren't interested in helping them :(:(:(

Bob Feb 1st 2008 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 5869793)
:rofl::rofl: we know Sue but the newbies don't and when we say check the wiki it sounds like we aren't interested in helping them :(:(:(

We need a big slap icon don't we :lol:

shiftdelete Feb 1st 2008 6:20 pm

Most newbies are really just looking for comfort- if you just direct them to a table full of data, they'll probably come back and ask exactly the same questions.

Its one on one they want :wub:

but not saying it won't help- maybe they can't post until they've acknowledged the wiki/ faq

after the faq they can one on one?

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 5864958)
perhaps if they were directed to the wiki after registration.... :lol:

Bob Feb 1st 2008 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by shiftdelete (Post 5870742)
Most newbies are really just looking for comfort- if you just direct them to a table full of data, they'll probably come back and ask exactly the same questions.

Its one on one they want :wub:

but not saying it won't help- maybe they can't post until they've acknowledged the wiki/ faq

after the faq they can one on one?

true, but a simple look at the wiki and a search of the past threads often answer a lot of new questions, which just fustrate a lot of posters, nothing wrong with asking to confirm extra stuff or to clarify info after doing a bit of digging otherwise it comes across as just lazy :)

NickJudith Jun 4th 2008 10:12 pm

Hello all, from a 'newbie's' perspective the threads are the best source of info rather than the wiki unless you're going to live in Dubai and, to a lesser extent Abu Dhabi. I admit to having lazily skimmed through an important thread to me until Bob re-directed me back to it having posted my own request for info and discovered after a few hours of reading that it answered majority of my questions surrounding Al Ain. But a lot of threads like that are hidden quite well, would it be possible to put links to the threads containing lots of info that newbies would find useful in the wiki?

Nick

Minna Jun 4th 2008 10:20 pm

Just chll out

Bob Jun 4th 2008 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by NickJudith (Post 6435226)
...would it be possible to put links to the threads containing lots of info that newbies would find useful in the wiki?

It would be better if people could put the useful information they find in the wiki directly, it's what the wiki is for and allows the info to be updated...

The Dean Jun 5th 2008 3:40 am

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 6435423)
It would be better if people could put the useful information they find in the wiki directly, it's what the wiki is for and allows the info to be updated...

Could I just pop in here to say "Welcome Back!" to this thread.......?

Thank you.