Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

This is getting bloody ridiculous........

This is getting bloody ridiculous........

Old Jan 30th 2008, 4:10 pm
  #1  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 13,553
The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default This is getting bloody ridiculous........

......... I've lost count of the number of completely new threads we keep getting which ask the same old 'expat package info please' questions.

No offence, though......... but..........

Since a number of you were kind enough to say that my 'what Saudi is like' thread was "great" (Meow), "excellent" (LH), "why the f--- did you go to all that trouble, you prat?" (loads of you), etc, etc..........

......... I am prepared to take on the role of Consultant Editor to the ultimate thread which answers all questions about packages, perks, allowances, etc.

Obviously loads of you know more about your own experiences than I do (and I'm aware that different cities will have different circumstances) so........

....... if any of you can be bothered, send me a PM with all relevant details in and I'll try to compile some sort of coherent posting out of it.

Obviously different salaries in different fields make that particular angle of attack irrelevant, but I'll compile some sort of 'the least your package must include' list if it would help.......

Any volunteers?

Or shall I just crawl back under my rock?
The Dean is offline  
Old Jan 30th 2008, 5:00 pm
  #2  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4
IrishColleen is just really niceIrishColleen is just really niceIrishColleen is just really niceIrishColleen is just really niceIrishColleen is just really niceIrishColleen is just really niceIrishColleen is just really niceIrishColleen is just really niceIrishColleen is just really niceIrishColleen is just really niceIrishColleen is just really nice
Default Re: This is getting bloody ridiculous........

Hi Dean - Thanks for this offer, as I am new I can't PM you until I have made a few more posts but I will when I can. I appreciate your offer for help.
IrishColleen is offline  
Old Jan 30th 2008, 6:32 pm
  #3  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Madam Medusa's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 18,187
Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: This is getting bloody ridiculous........

Originally Posted by The Dean View Post
......... I've lost count of the number of completely new threads we keep getting which ask the same old 'expat package info please' questions.

No offence, though......... but..........

Since a number of you were kind enough to say that my 'what Saudi is like' thread was "great" (Meow), "excellent" (LH), "why the f--- did you go to all that trouble, you prat?" (loads of you), etc, etc..........

......... I am prepared to take on the role of Consultant Editor to the ultimate thread which answers all questions about packages, perks, allowances, etc.

Obviously loads of you know more about your own experiences than I do (and I'm aware that different cities will have different circumstances) so........

....... if any of you can be bothered, send me a PM with all relevant details in and I'll try to compile some sort of coherent posting out of it.

Obviously different salaries in different fields make that particular angle of attack irrelevant, but I'll compile some sort of 'the least your package must include' list if it would help.......

Any volunteers?

Or shall I just crawl back under my rock?
please do take this all on your own back the dean...cos me for one is getting peed off by the newbies coming on and asking loads of questions...getting loads of advice...then never even having the common decency to say thank you, despite the fact that they lurk constantly...that's just weird...

MM, xx
Madam Medusa is offline  
Old Jan 30th 2008, 6:59 pm
  #4  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 13,553
The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: This is getting bloody ridiculous........

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa View Post
please do take this all on your own back the dean...cos me for one is getting peed off by the newbies coming on and asking loads of questions...getting loads of advice...then never even having the common decency to say thank you, despite the fact that they lurk constantly...that's just weird...

MM, xx
Thanks for the endorsement - but it occurs to me that even an all-purpose thread like the one I was suggesting might not stop all the other posts still coming in.......... there's always going to be someone who says 'yes, but I have a particular concern.....'

........ maybe we all need to rehearse a one-liner reply - or get bumping.....
The Dean is offline  
Old Jan 30th 2008, 7:00 pm
  #5  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Madam Medusa's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 18,187
Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: This is getting bloody ridiculous........

Originally Posted by The Dean View Post
Thanks for the endorsement - but it occurs to me that even an all-purpose thread like the one I was suggesting might not stop all the other posts still coming in.......... there's always going to be someone who says 'yes, but I have a particular concern.....'

........ maybe we all need to rehearse a one-liner reply - or get bumping.....
oh we'll never stop them...and i don't mind the ones who say thank you...it's the ignorant buggers who take and don't give that pee me off, lol...

MM, xx
Madam Medusa is offline  
Old Jan 30th 2008, 7:09 pm
  #6  
Sue
BE Co-Founder
 
Sue's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2000
Location: Florida
Posts: 25,928
Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: This is getting bloody ridiculous........

Add stuff to the wiki, it was added to the site especially for situations such as this, then if a new member asks the same sort of questions that have been asked before they can be directed to the wiki.
Sue is offline  
Old Jan 30th 2008, 7:53 pm
  #7  
A bubbly-jock...
 
MacScot's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Teneriffe
Posts: 6,262
MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: This is getting bloody ridiculous........

Originally Posted by Sue View Post
Add stuff to the wiki, it was added to the site especially for situations such as this, then if a new member asks the same sort of questions that have been asked before they can be directed to the wiki.
I agree with Sue - put generic stuff on wiki and redirect inquirers accordingly, but....

probably, the wiki would need a range of likely scenarios, such as single person, married couple, unmarried couple, couple with children, as well as typical salary packages and benefits for different professions. But, then it might get too complex - so one might have to give some advice (from the usual philanthropic posters on this forum and/or those with good local experience) to their specific questions.
MacScot is offline  
Old Jan 30th 2008, 8:05 pm
  #8  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4
IrishColleen is just really niceIrishColleen is just really niceIrishColleen is just really niceIrishColleen is just really niceIrishColleen is just really niceIrishColleen is just really niceIrishColleen is just really niceIrishColleen is just really niceIrishColleen is just really niceIrishColleen is just really niceIrishColleen is just really nice
Default Re: This is getting bloody ridiculous........

Hi All- I understand it must be so frustrating to get new posts asking similar questions, I guess each person has different queries. I appreciate the help I have gotten here, and if I do make the move I will post my experience on here for further viewers who are in similar position as me. If all the newbies who make the move did this it would ease the pressure on the regulars

Thanks again all
IrishColleen is offline  
Old Jan 31st 2008, 2:45 am
  #9  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Madam Medusa's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 18,187
Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: This is getting bloody ridiculous........

Originally Posted by IrishColleen View Post
Hi All- I understand it must be so frustrating to get new posts asking similar questions, I guess each person has different queries. I appreciate the help I have gotten here, and if I do make the move I will post my experience on here for further viewers who are in similar position as me. If all the newbies who make the move did this it would ease the pressure on the regulars

Thanks again all
irish colleen...welcome, and ignore, this wasn't directed at you...!!

MM, xx
Madam Medusa is offline  
Old Jan 31st 2008, 8:49 am
  #10  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 44
t19hlr will become famous soon enought19hlr will become famous soon enough
Default Re: This is getting bloody ridiculous........

Great idea Dean. I've been looking for information myself and have been able to find most of the answers in previous threads, but having all information collated would be very helpful. I think many people can't be bothered to search through the threads and just ask repeated questions.

Also, it seems most members in this forum are from Dubai, would be good if members from other countries can do the same (especially Bahrain as I'll be moving there in a few weeks).
t19hlr is offline  
Old Jan 31st 2008, 8:53 am
  #11  
BE Forum Addict
 
Paidtoplease's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: dubai
Posts: 2,674
Paidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: This is getting bloody ridiculous........

Originally Posted by t19hlr View Post
Great idea Dean. I've been looking for information myself and have been able to find most of the answers in previous threads, but having all information collated would be very helpful. I think many people can't be bothered to search through the threads and just ask repeated questions.

Also, it seems most members in this forum are from Dubai, would be good if members from other countries can do the same (especially Bahrain as I'll be moving there in a few weeks).
I think a lot of people who pose questions on here think that they are in a unique situation and although they may have searched the thread they still feel that they need to ask the question, just to be on the safe side....

Anything that the Dean can develope would be great..
Paidtoplease is offline  
Old Jan 31st 2008, 9:10 am
  #12  
Concierge
 
Blue Cat's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 29,625
Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: This is getting bloody ridiculous........

I think we should do one thread and have it made into a sticky with approx costs for rents, different areas etc, approximate school fees - with this link ... http://www.bsme.org.uk/schools/ - takes you straight to list of all schools here. Then a bit about grocery shopping/cost of living etc. I am pretty sure that most people don't bother with the wiki
Blue Cat is offline  
Old Jan 31st 2008, 11:16 am
  #13  
Sue
BE Co-Founder
 
Sue's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2000
Location: Florida
Posts: 25,928
Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: This is getting bloody ridiculous........

Originally Posted by Blue Cat View Post
I think we should do one thread and have it made into a sticky with approx costs for rents, different areas etc, approximate school fees - with this link ... http://www.bsme.org.uk/schools/ - takes you straight to list of all schools here. Then a bit about grocery shopping/cost of living etc. I am pretty sure that most people don't bother with the wiki
No not a thread, put it in the wiki, that way anyone can add or edit stuff.
Sue is offline  
Old Jan 31st 2008, 4:23 pm
  #14  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 13,553
The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: This is getting bloody ridiculous........

Originally Posted by Sue View Post
No not a thread, put it in the wiki, that way anyone can add or edit stuff.
Just do it then - I have NO interest in writing something for the 'wiki' (crazy name, crazy facility...!!!)....... my ego insists on being top of the bill.

Sue - Does that mean ANYONE can edit/alter/etc the thing I spent a whole weekend writing about life in Saudi?
The Dean is offline  
Old Jan 31st 2008, 4:34 pm
  #15  
Bob
BE Site Lead
 
Bob's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: MA, USA
Posts: 91,798
Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: This is getting bloody ridiculous........

Originally Posted by Sue View Post
Add stuff to the wiki, it was added to the site especially for situations such as this, then if a new member asks the same sort of questions that have been asked before they can be directed to the wiki.
It has been, to an extent, just needs updating for inflation and the like...and people still ask the same questions, perhaps if they were directed to the wiki after registration....
Bob is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.