British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   This is getting bloody ridiculous........ (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/getting-bloody-ridiculous-510354/)

The Dean Jan 30th 2008 4:10 pm

This is getting bloody ridiculous........

......... I've lost count of the number of completely new threads we keep getting which ask the same old 'expat package info please' questions.

No offence, though......... but..........

Since a number of you were kind enough to say that my 'what Saudi is like' thread was "great" (Meow), "excellent" (LH), "why the f--- did you go to all that trouble, you prat?" (loads of you), etc, etc..........

......... I am prepared to take on the role of Consultant Editor to the ultimate thread which answers all questions about packages, perks, allowances, etc.

Obviously loads of you know more about your own experiences than I do (and I'm aware that different cities will have different circumstances) so........

....... if any of you can be bothered, send me a PM with all relevant details in and I'll try to compile some sort of coherent posting out of it.

Obviously different salaries in different fields make that particular angle of attack irrelevant, but I'll compile some sort of 'the least your package must include' list if it would help.......

Any volunteers?

Or shall I just crawl back under my rock? :confused:

IrishColleen Jan 30th 2008 5:00 pm

Re: This is getting bloody ridiculous........

Hi Dean - Thanks for this offer, as I am new I can't PM you until I have made a few more posts but I will when I can. I appreciate your offer for help.

Madam Medusa Jan 30th 2008 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 5859382)
......... I've lost count of the number of completely new threads we keep getting which ask the same old 'expat package info please' questions.

No offence, though......... but..........

Since a number of you were kind enough to say that my 'what Saudi is like' thread was "great" (Meow), "excellent" (LH), "why the f--- did you go to all that trouble, you prat?" (loads of you), etc, etc..........

......... I am prepared to take on the role of Consultant Editor to the ultimate thread which answers all questions about packages, perks, allowances, etc.

Obviously loads of you know more about your own experiences than I do (and I'm aware that different cities will have different circumstances) so........

....... if any of you can be bothered, send me a PM with all relevant details in and I'll try to compile some sort of coherent posting out of it.

Obviously different salaries in different fields make that particular angle of attack irrelevant, but I'll compile some sort of 'the least your package must include' list if it would help.......

Any volunteers?

Or shall I just crawl back under my rock? :confused:

please do take this all on your own back the dean...cos me for one is getting peed off by the newbies coming on and asking loads of questions...getting loads of advice...then never even having the common decency to say thank you, despite the fact that they lurk constantly...that's just weird...

MM, xx

The Dean Jan 30th 2008 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 5859898)
please do take this all on your own back the dean...cos me for one is getting peed off by the newbies coming on and asking loads of questions...getting loads of advice...then never even having the common decency to say thank you, despite the fact that they lurk constantly...that's just weird...

MM, xx

Thanks for the endorsement - but it occurs to me that even an all-purpose thread like the one I was suggesting might not stop all the other posts still coming in.......... there's always going to be someone who says 'yes, but I have a particular concern.....'

........ maybe we all need to rehearse a one-liner reply - or get bumping.....

Madam Medusa Jan 30th 2008 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 5860019)
Thanks for the endorsement - but it occurs to me that even an all-purpose thread like the one I was suggesting might not stop all the other posts still coming in.......... there's always going to be someone who says 'yes, but I have a particular concern.....'

........ maybe we all need to rehearse a one-liner reply - or get bumping.....

oh we'll never stop them...and i don't mind the ones who say thank you...it's the ignorant buggers who take and don't give that pee me off, lol...

MM, xx

Sue Jan 30th 2008 7:09 pm

Add stuff to the wiki, it was added to the site especially for situations such as this, then if a new member asks the same sort of questions that have been asked before they can be directed to the wiki.

MacScot Jan 30th 2008 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by Sue (Post 5860073)
Add stuff to the wiki, it was added to the site especially for situations such as this, then if a new member asks the same sort of questions that have been asked before they can be directed to the wiki.

I agree with Sue - put generic stuff on wiki and redirect inquirers accordingly, but....

probably, the wiki would need a range of likely scenarios, such as single person, married couple, unmarried couple, couple with children, as well as typical salary packages and benefits for different professions. But, then it might get too complex - so one might have to give some advice (from the usual philanthropic posters on this forum and/or those with good local experience) to their specific questions.

IrishColleen Jan 30th 2008 8:05 pm

Hi All- I understand it must be so frustrating to get new posts asking similar questions, I guess each person has different queries. I appreciate the help I have gotten here, and if I do make the move I will post my experience on here for further viewers who are in similar position as me. If all the newbies who make the move did this it would ease the pressure on the regulars

Thanks again all

Madam Medusa Jan 31st 2008 2:45 am

Originally Posted by IrishColleen (Post 5860328)
Hi All- I understand it must be so frustrating to get new posts asking similar questions, I guess each person has different queries. I appreciate the help I have gotten here, and if I do make the move I will post my experience on here for further viewers who are in similar position as me. If all the newbies who make the move did this it would ease the pressure on the regulars

Thanks again all

irish colleen...welcome, and ignore, this wasn't directed at you...!!

MM, xx

t19hlr Jan 31st 2008 8:49 am

Great idea Dean. I've been looking for information myself and have been able to find most of the answers in previous threads, but having all information collated would be very helpful. I think many people can't be bothered to search through the threads and just ask repeated questions.

Also, it seems most members in this forum are from Dubai, would be good if members from other countries can do the same (especially Bahrain as I'll be moving there in a few weeks).

Paidtoplease Jan 31st 2008 8:53 am

Originally Posted by t19hlr (Post 5862893)
Great idea Dean. I've been looking for information myself and have been able to find most of the answers in previous threads, but having all information collated would be very helpful. I think many people can't be bothered to search through the threads and just ask repeated questions.

Also, it seems most members in this forum are from Dubai, would be good if members from other countries can do the same (especially Bahrain as I'll be moving there in a few weeks).

I think a lot of people who pose questions on here think that they are in a unique situation and although they may have searched the thread they still feel that they need to ask the question, just to be on the safe side....

Anything that the Dean can develope would be great..

Blue Cat Jan 31st 2008 9:10 am

I think we should do one thread and have it made into a sticky with approx costs for rents, different areas etc, approximate school fees - with this link ... http://www.bsme.org.uk/schools/ - takes you straight to list of all schools here. Then a bit about grocery shopping/cost of living etc. I am pretty sure that most people don't bother with the wiki :(

Sue Jan 31st 2008 11:16 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 5862990)
I think we should do one thread and have it made into a sticky with approx costs for rents, different areas etc, approximate school fees - with this link ... http://www.bsme.org.uk/schools/ - takes you straight to list of all schools here. Then a bit about grocery shopping/cost of living etc. I am pretty sure that most people don't bother with the wiki :(

No not a thread, put it in the wiki, that way anyone can add or edit stuff. :)

The Dean Jan 31st 2008 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by Sue (Post 5863488)
No not a thread, put it in the wiki, that way anyone can add or edit stuff. :)

Just do it then - I have NO interest in writing something for the 'wiki' (crazy name, crazy facility...!!!)....... my ego insists on being top of the bill.

Sue - Does that mean ANYONE can edit/alter/etc the thing I spent a whole weekend writing about life in Saudi?

Bob Jan 31st 2008 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by Sue (Post 5860073)

It has been, to an extent, just needs updating for inflation and the like...and people still ask the same questions, perhaps if they were directed to the wiki after registration.... :lol:

Bob Jan 31st 2008 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 5862990)

aye, but the schools thing is already listed in the wiki...people just need a good kicking :lol:

Bob Jan 31st 2008 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 5864906)

Sue - Does that mean ANYONE can edit/alter/etc the thing I spent a whole weekend writing about life in Saudi?

in the wiki, yes, but it can easily be reverted.

The Dean Jan 31st 2008 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 5864976)

Bob,

Thanks for that.

Don't worry - I didn't get much response anyway - just the 3 or 4 from Page 1 of this thread..........

Forget I mentioned it.

Sue Jan 31st 2008 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 5864906)
Just do it then - I have NO interest in writing something for the 'wiki' (crazy name, crazy facility...!!!)....... my ego insists on being top of the bill.

Yes, thats the whole point of it. People can add or edit a current page or create new pages.

Sue Jan 31st 2008 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 5864976)

Bob, is correct. If anyone came along and did something drastic to it we could revert back to the original

t19hlr Feb 1st 2008 9:05 am

Why not create a sub-forum for topics related to specific "moving abroad" questions? That way people can't edit something Dean or anyone else will write, and it will be easier for people to search previous postings.

Sue Feb 1st 2008 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by t19hlr (Post 5868414)
Why not create a sub-forum for topics related to specific "moving abroad" questions? That way people can't edit something Dean or anyone else will write, and it will be easier for people to search previous postings.

We already have one

Blue Cat Feb 1st 2008 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by Sue (Post 5869435)
We already have one

:rofl::rofl: we know Sue but the newbies don't and when we say check the wiki it sounds like we aren't interested in helping them :(:(:(

Bob Feb 1st 2008 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 5869793)
:rofl::rofl: we know Sue but the newbies don't and when we say check the wiki it sounds like we aren't interested in helping them :(:(:(

We need a big slap icon don't we :lol:

shiftdelete Feb 1st 2008 6:20 pm

Most newbies are really just looking for comfort- if you just direct them to a table full of data, they'll probably come back and ask exactly the same questions.

Its one on one they want :wub:

but not saying it won't help- maybe they can't post until they've acknowledged the wiki/ faq

after the faq they can one on one?

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 5864958)
perhaps if they were directed to the wiki after registration.... :lol:

Bob Feb 1st 2008 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by shiftdelete (Post 5870742)
Most newbies are really just looking for comfort- if you just direct them to a table full of data, they'll probably come back and ask exactly the same questions.

Its one on one they want :wub:

but not saying it won't help- maybe they can't post until they've acknowledged the wiki/ faq

after the faq they can one on one?

true, but a simple look at the wiki and a search of the past threads often answer a lot of new questions, which just fustrate a lot of posters, nothing wrong with asking to confirm extra stuff or to clarify info after doing a bit of digging otherwise it comes across as just lazy :)

NickJudith Jun 4th 2008 10:12 pm

Hello all, from a 'newbie's' perspective the threads are the best source of info rather than the wiki unless you're going to live in Dubai and, to a lesser extent Abu Dhabi. I admit to having lazily skimmed through an important thread to me until Bob re-directed me back to it having posted my own request for info and discovered after a few hours of reading that it answered majority of my questions surrounding Al Ain. But a lot of threads like that are hidden quite well, would it be possible to put links to the threads containing lots of info that newbies would find useful in the wiki?

Nick

Minna Jun 4th 2008 10:20 pm

Just chll out

Bob Jun 4th 2008 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by NickJudith (Post 6435226)
...would it be possible to put links to the threads containing lots of info that newbies would find useful in the wiki?

It would be better if people could put the useful information they find in the wiki directly, it's what the wiki is for and allows the info to be updated...

The Dean Jun 5th 2008 3:40 am

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 6435423)
It would be better if people could put the useful information they find in the wiki directly, it's what the wiki is for and allows the info to be updated...

Could I just pop in here to say "Welcome Back!" to this thread.......?

Thank you.

W10 Jun 5th 2008 4:17 am

It's only annoying when you get the 'I want to move to Dubai, how much money should I be asking for and what is the cost of living' type queries. Very specific queries are easier to cope with. It at least shows they've done a modicum of research first.

Slingshot Jun 5th 2008 8:20 am

I regularly chat to people away from the board whether it be about salaries, career opportunites, putting them in touch with relevant contacts and so on. if you don’t want to help a newbie you don’t have to – just ignore the thread. I just read about 30-40% of the posts on here. Shift Delete summed it up – some people just want that personal touch. some just want to chat to someone in the same industry and know what it is like and so on. I have met up with a few very nice people from here and have only ever felt that one in particular took advantage of my knowledge base

TBird Jun 5th 2008 8:25 am

As a newbie I would like to thank all of you very much for all the input and I'm sorry at times a bit boring but the information for us personally as a family has be extremely helpful....and to all the "newbies" out there I agree use your pleases and thanks as no one earns a dollar for for putting the useful information on, also "newbies" I have put the information that I have learnt to the 'wiki' as some of the headings had no information ie Abu Dhabi Schools....Dean I promise I won't add to your articles as they are always so complete and a great read being they are a wealth of information and a good laugh!

PS When do you graduate from being a Newbie...?

Bob Jun 6th 2008 1:10 am

Originally Posted by Slingshot (Post 6436436)
I regularly chat to people away from the board whether it be about salaries, career opportunites, putting them in touch with relevant contacts and so on. if you don’t want to help a newbie you don’t have to – just ignore the thread. I just read about 30-40% of the posts on here. Shift Delete summed it up – some people just want that personal touch. some just want to chat to someone in the same industry and know what it is like and so on. I have met up with a few very nice people from here and have only ever felt that one in particular took advantage of my knowledge base

I don't think people mind helping people out, but it does get annoying when someone is planning a life changing move and can't even be arsed to search the forum for some basic info first, especially when you don't even have to go past page one for a lot of the queries.

If someone then wants to know something a bit more specific or whatever that has been posted, it goes a long way to show they've bothered, because why should someone else bother help when the person asking questions couldn't in the first place?

It's why there was a faq, which became the wiki and why so much of the info has been put together for people.

Bijilo123 Jun 6th 2008 1:22 am

I'm new and my impression is that people who have been on a while are not grateful if I offer information and don't think that their attitude is always helpful either. Sometimes it can appear arrogant and rude and could repel people who as was said earlier are seeking one to one assistance - not rejection.

And of course there are people who do help!

Just what I see!!

still.unsure Jun 6th 2008 8:00 am

can anyone help with these two threads? please let me know if the questions are;
- too stupid
- too specific
- too obscure

am really keen on getting some answers to them

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=536177
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=535037

thx,

still.unsure

madferrit Jun 6th 2008 8:59 am

Why can't we have a sticky as the top topic in the ME forum which answers all those annoying questions. The wiki, although good is a little obscure. As most forums of this format work with "Stickys" it would just make sense to work in the same way.

Example:
Sticky is titled "FAQ's about moving to the UAE"
Inside you can have a link to the Wiki, and any other relevant and informative threads or articles.

There is a wealth of information here, and most people really don't bother with the search function.

Bob Jun 7th 2008 12:06 am

Originally Posted by madferrit (Post 6440146)
Why can't we have a sticky as the top topic in the ME forum which answers all those annoying questions. The wiki, although good is a little obscure. As most forums of this format work with "Stickys" it would just make sense to work in the same way.

Example:
Sticky is titled "FAQ's about moving to the UAE"
Inside you can have a link to the Wiki, and any other relevant and informative threads or articles.

There is a wealth of information here, and most people really don't bother with the search function.

Because we did that, and the site was filled with stickies.

It's what the wiki is for, but no one else has really bothered to maintain or add information to it and I'm a little to busy, I've done my best with it so far though.

Problems with linking to threads, they get out of date and irrelevant, in a wiki, they can be updated and easier to search.

And people not bothering with the search function pisses a lot of people off, why bother help someone out who can't be arsed to take the initiative and all that. It's not like it's hard to find some of the info, it's not even pages deep for a lot of the basics.

IndieG Jun 7th 2008 5:18 am

ok - have updated the cost of living link.......

Spugsy Jun 7th 2008 6:15 am

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 6439515)
I don't think people mind helping people out, but it does get annoying when someone is planning a life changing move and can't even be arsed to search the forum for some basic info first, especially when you don't even have to go past page one for a lot of the queries.

If someone then wants to know something a bit more specific or whatever that has been posted, it goes a long way to show they've bothered, because why should someone else bother help when the person asking questions couldn't in the first place?

It's why there was a faq, which became the wiki and why so much of the info has been put together for people.

people come on and ask, they don't search, they like the personal touch, thats what I did and got LOADS of help, and in fact still do, it's the only way to do it I believe, I understand some of the same questions are asked again and again and some very stupid questions are asked - I'm guilty of all of this, but you either help people or don't, or as the mods have mentioned and just point them in the direction of wiki.

Whatever that is...