British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   This is getting bloody ridiculous........ (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/getting-bloody-ridiculous-510354/)

The Dean Jan 30th 2008 4:10 pm

This is getting bloody ridiculous........

......... I've lost count of the number of completely new threads we keep getting which ask the same old 'expat package info please' questions.

No offence, though......... but..........

Since a number of you were kind enough to say that my 'what Saudi is like' thread was "great" (Meow), "excellent" (LH), "why the f--- did you go to all that trouble, you prat?" (loads of you), etc, etc..........

......... I am prepared to take on the role of Consultant Editor to the ultimate thread which answers all questions about packages, perks, allowances, etc.

Obviously loads of you know more about your own experiences than I do (and I'm aware that different cities will have different circumstances) so........

....... if any of you can be bothered, send me a PM with all relevant details in and I'll try to compile some sort of coherent posting out of it.

Obviously different salaries in different fields make that particular angle of attack irrelevant, but I'll compile some sort of 'the least your package must include' list if it would help.......

Any volunteers?

Or shall I just crawl back under my rock? :confused:

IrishColleen Jan 30th 2008 5:00 pm

Re: This is getting bloody ridiculous........

Hi Dean - Thanks for this offer, as I am new I can't PM you until I have made a few more posts but I will when I can. I appreciate your offer for help.

Madam Medusa Jan 30th 2008 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 5859382)
......... I've lost count of the number of completely new threads we keep getting which ask the same old 'expat package info please' questions.

No offence, though......... but..........

Since a number of you were kind enough to say that my 'what Saudi is like' thread was "great" (Meow), "excellent" (LH), "why the f--- did you go to all that trouble, you prat?" (loads of you), etc, etc..........

......... I am prepared to take on the role of Consultant Editor to the ultimate thread which answers all questions about packages, perks, allowances, etc.

Obviously loads of you know more about your own experiences than I do (and I'm aware that different cities will have different circumstances) so........

....... if any of you can be bothered, send me a PM with all relevant details in and I'll try to compile some sort of coherent posting out of it.

Obviously different salaries in different fields make that particular angle of attack irrelevant, but I'll compile some sort of 'the least your package must include' list if it would help.......

Any volunteers?

Or shall I just crawl back under my rock? :confused:

please do take this all on your own back the dean...cos me for one is getting peed off by the newbies coming on and asking loads of questions...getting loads of advice...then never even having the common decency to say thank you, despite the fact that they lurk constantly...that's just weird...

MM, xx

The Dean Jan 30th 2008 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 5859898)
please do take this all on your own back the dean...cos me for one is getting peed off by the newbies coming on and asking loads of questions...getting loads of advice...then never even having the common decency to say thank you, despite the fact that they lurk constantly...that's just weird...

MM, xx

Thanks for the endorsement - but it occurs to me that even an all-purpose thread like the one I was suggesting might not stop all the other posts still coming in.......... there's always going to be someone who says 'yes, but I have a particular concern.....'

........ maybe we all need to rehearse a one-liner reply - or get bumping.....

Madam Medusa Jan 30th 2008 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 5860019)
Thanks for the endorsement - but it occurs to me that even an all-purpose thread like the one I was suggesting might not stop all the other posts still coming in.......... there's always going to be someone who says 'yes, but I have a particular concern.....'

........ maybe we all need to rehearse a one-liner reply - or get bumping.....

oh we'll never stop them...and i don't mind the ones who say thank you...it's the ignorant buggers who take and don't give that pee me off, lol...

MM, xx

Sue Jan 30th 2008 7:09 pm

Add stuff to the wiki, it was added to the site especially for situations such as this, then if a new member asks the same sort of questions that have been asked before they can be directed to the wiki.

MacScot Jan 30th 2008 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by Sue (Post 5860073)
Add stuff to the wiki, it was added to the site especially for situations such as this, then if a new member asks the same sort of questions that have been asked before they can be directed to the wiki.

I agree with Sue - put generic stuff on wiki and redirect inquirers accordingly, but....

probably, the wiki would need a range of likely scenarios, such as single person, married couple, unmarried couple, couple with children, as well as typical salary packages and benefits for different professions. But, then it might get too complex - so one might have to give some advice (from the usual philanthropic posters on this forum and/or those with good local experience) to their specific questions.

IrishColleen Jan 30th 2008 8:05 pm

Hi All- I understand it must be so frustrating to get new posts asking similar questions, I guess each person has different queries. I appreciate the help I have gotten here, and if I do make the move I will post my experience on here for further viewers who are in similar position as me. If all the newbies who make the move did this it would ease the pressure on the regulars

Thanks again all

Madam Medusa Jan 31st 2008 2:45 am

Originally Posted by IrishColleen (Post 5860328)
Hi All- I understand it must be so frustrating to get new posts asking similar questions, I guess each person has different queries. I appreciate the help I have gotten here, and if I do make the move I will post my experience on here for further viewers who are in similar position as me. If all the newbies who make the move did this it would ease the pressure on the regulars

Thanks again all

irish colleen...welcome, and ignore, this wasn't directed at you...!!

MM, xx

t19hlr Jan 31st 2008 8:49 am

Great idea Dean. I've been looking for information myself and have been able to find most of the answers in previous threads, but having all information collated would be very helpful. I think many people can't be bothered to search through the threads and just ask repeated questions.

Also, it seems most members in this forum are from Dubai, would be good if members from other countries can do the same (especially Bahrain as I'll be moving there in a few weeks).

Paidtoplease Jan 31st 2008 8:53 am

Originally Posted by t19hlr (Post 5862893)
Great idea Dean. I've been looking for information myself and have been able to find most of the answers in previous threads, but having all information collated would be very helpful. I think many people can't be bothered to search through the threads and just ask repeated questions.

Also, it seems most members in this forum are from Dubai, would be good if members from other countries can do the same (especially Bahrain as I'll be moving there in a few weeks).

I think a lot of people who pose questions on here think that they are in a unique situation and although they may have searched the thread they still feel that they need to ask the question, just to be on the safe side....

Anything that the Dean can develope would be great..

Blue Cat Jan 31st 2008 9:10 am

I think we should do one thread and have it made into a sticky with approx costs for rents, different areas etc, approximate school fees - with this link ... http://www.bsme.org.uk/schools/ - takes you straight to list of all schools here. Then a bit about grocery shopping/cost of living etc. I am pretty sure that most people don't bother with the wiki :(

Sue Jan 31st 2008 11:16 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 5862990)
I think we should do one thread and have it made into a sticky with approx costs for rents, different areas etc, approximate school fees - with this link ... http://www.bsme.org.uk/schools/ - takes you straight to list of all schools here. Then a bit about grocery shopping/cost of living etc. I am pretty sure that most people don't bother with the wiki :(

No not a thread, put it in the wiki, that way anyone can add or edit stuff. :)

The Dean Jan 31st 2008 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by Sue (Post 5863488)
No not a thread, put it in the wiki, that way anyone can add or edit stuff. :)

Just do it then - I have NO interest in writing something for the 'wiki' (crazy name, crazy facility...!!!)....... my ego insists on being top of the bill.

Sue - Does that mean ANYONE can edit/alter/etc the thing I spent a whole weekend writing about life in Saudi?

Bob Jan 31st 2008 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by Sue (Post 5860073)

It has been, to an extent, just needs updating for inflation and the like...and people still ask the same questions, perhaps if they were directed to the wiki after registration.... :lol: