Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Get m'cycle licence in KSA - how?

Get m'cycle licence in KSA - how?

Old Apr 26th 2014, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

magnification is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Get m'cycle licence in KSA - how?

I have a KSA car licence, but no Motorcycle licence. To get one, must I just borrow a small m'cycle for a 5 minute run around their 'car park' circuit and then say thanks?!
I could then use it for big bikes inside or preferably outside KSA
eg GCC or Europe.
Any advice please?
Old Apr 27th 2014, 10:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Get m'cycle licence in KSA - how?

Only use a motorcycle in KSA if you have a serious death wish !
Old Apr 27th 2014, 8:48 pm
Just Joined

FaeLLe is an unknown quantity at this point

This sounds like a joke but why would you want a bike in KSA?
Old Apr 28th 2014, 4:23 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnification View Post
I have a KSA car licence, but no Motorcycle licence. To get one, must I just borrow a small m'cycle for a 5 minute run around their 'car park' circuit and then say thanks?!
I could then use it for big bikes inside or preferably outside KSA
eg GCC or Europe.
Any advice please?
For what it's worth, if you do not have a licence for a motorcycle from outside KSA and you are trying to get one here as your first licence I would suggest you wait until you can do the test in Europe/UK or wherever.
Especially if you have the idea that you will shortcut the normal licensing system where you have to have start with a smaller bike then progress to a larger one.
If you have no real road experience on a bike, it is really a deathwish in KSA and not that much safer for a novice on a big bike outside of KSA.
Old Apr 28th 2014, 8:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Beakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to behold

Op sounds like he's looking for a shortcut to getting on big bikes in other, safer countries.

Training here is usually done in arabic surely? If you don't read the language I'd imagine that'd be insurmountable in most cases. I'm not sure but the likelihood of you being able to take a translator in must be small to nowt.
Old Apr 28th 2014, 8:29 am
Forum Regular

Gus Honeybun is an unknown quantity at this point

Visit the HD showroom on the north ring road. They will actually assist and advise re your bike DL and bike road craft. At the w/e you can meet other bikers. And the coffee is free.
Old Apr 28th 2014, 12:24 pm
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beakersful View Post
Op sounds like he's looking for a shortcut to getting on big bikes in other, safer countries.
That's what I thought, it's not a great idea imo. Bad things happen very quickly on big bikes if you have no experience, (and even if you do have experience). Hence the restrictions on licences or intensive direct access courses being the norm.
Old Apr 28th 2014, 1:28 pm
Forum Regular

Interesting feedback.
I had a M'cycle licence 20 years ago from a developing country (which was stolen). Can't easily prove anything now (admin records etc) but would like one when biking in a sunny developing country eg holiday.
Have no links (address) in UK except the passport - very officious there now. Also have to do the theory test there I believe.
Comments?
Old Apr 28th 2014, 1:44 pm
Knee deep and rising

Interesting feedback.
I had a M'cycle licence 20 years ago from a developing country (which was stolen). Can't easily prove anything now (admin records etc) but would like one when biking in a sunny developing country eg holiday.
Have no links (address) in UK except the passport - very officious there now. Also have to do the theory test there I believe.
Comments?
I was commenting from the staying alive point of view, rather than the logistics side of it. Being into biking myself I just get worried when people pile on to the latest rocket ship with little or no recent experience; big modern bikes are extremely fast and unforgiving.

With regard to the licence in KSA, I had one for a car and possibly a bike (it was in Arabic so who knows) they just transferred over my own one which already had the categories.

However from my experience with licensing officialdom, 50 riyals in the right hands will obtain whatever licence you need. If you have a Saudi PRO in your company or whoever did it for you before, explain the situation and it should be as simple as that. No test required I would imagine.
Old Apr 28th 2014, 1:48 pm
Forum Regular

Sounds good Mr Weasel. Tks.
Old Apr 28th 2014, 2:13 pm
Knee deep and rising

Sounds good Mr Weasel. Tks.
Hope it works out, and please do take as much instruction or back to biking lessons as you can before deciding to tear up the roads.