British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Get m'cycle licence in KSA - how? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/get-mcycle-licence-ksa-how-832303/)

magnification Apr 26th 2014 7:19 pm

Get m'cycle licence in KSA - how?

I have a KSA car licence, but no Motorcycle licence. To get one, must I just borrow a small m'cycle for a 5 minute run around their 'car park' circuit and then say thanks?!
I could then use it for big bikes inside or preferably outside KSA
eg GCC or Europe.
Any advice please?

scot47 Apr 27th 2014 10:52 am

Re: Get m'cycle licence in KSA - how?

Only use a motorcycle in KSA if you have a serious death wish !

FaeLLe Apr 27th 2014 8:48 pm

This sounds like a joke but why would you want a bike in KSA?

weasel decentral Apr 28th 2014 4:23 am

Originally Posted by magnification (Post 11235502)
I have a KSA car licence, but no Motorcycle licence. To get one, must I just borrow a small m'cycle for a 5 minute run around their 'car park' circuit and then say thanks?!
I could then use it for big bikes inside or preferably outside KSA
eg GCC or Europe.
Any advice please?

For what it's worth, if you do not have a licence for a motorcycle from outside KSA and you are trying to get one here as your first licence I would suggest you wait until you can do the test in Europe/UK or wherever.
Especially if you have the idea that you will shortcut the normal licensing system where you have to have start with a smaller bike then progress to a larger one.
If you have no real road experience on a bike, it is really a deathwish in KSA and not that much safer for a novice on a big bike outside of KSA.

Beakersful Apr 28th 2014 8:10 am

Op sounds like he's looking for a shortcut to getting on big bikes in other, safer countries.

Training here is usually done in arabic surely? If you don't read the language I'd imagine that'd be insurmountable in most cases. I'm not sure but the likelihood of you being able to take a translator in must be small to nowt.

Gus Honeybun Apr 28th 2014 8:29 am

Visit the HD showroom on the north ring road. They will actually assist and advise re your bike DL and bike road craft. At the w/e you can meet other bikers. And the coffee is free.

weasel decentral Apr 28th 2014 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by Beakersful (Post 11237213)
Op sounds like he's looking for a shortcut to getting on big bikes in other, safer countries.

That's what I thought, it's not a great idea imo. Bad things happen very quickly on big bikes if you have no experience, (and even if you do have experience). Hence the restrictions on licences or intensive direct access courses being the norm.

magnification Apr 28th 2014 1:28 pm

Interesting feedback.
I had a M'cycle licence 20 years ago from a developing country (which was stolen). Can't easily prove anything now (admin records etc) but would like one when biking in a sunny developing country eg holiday.
Have no links (address) in UK except the passport - very officious there now. Also have to do the theory test there I believe.
Comments?

weasel decentral Apr 28th 2014 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by magnification (Post 11237536)
Interesting feedback.
I had a M'cycle licence 20 years ago from a developing country (which was stolen). Can't easily prove anything now (admin records etc) but would like one when biking in a sunny developing country eg holiday.
Have no links (address) in UK except the passport - very officious there now. Also have to do the theory test there I believe.
Comments?

I was commenting from the staying alive point of view, rather than the logistics side of it. Being into biking myself I just get worried when people pile on to the latest rocket ship with little or no recent experience; big modern bikes are extremely fast and unforgiving.

With regard to the licence in KSA, I had one for a car and possibly a bike (it was in Arabic so who knows) they just transferred over my own one which already had the categories.

However from my experience with licensing officialdom, 50 riyals in the right hands will obtain whatever licence you need. If you have a Saudi PRO in your company or whoever did it for you before, explain the situation and it should be as simple as that. No test required I would imagine.

magnification Apr 28th 2014 1:48 pm

Sounds good Mr Weasel. Tks.

weasel decentral Apr 28th 2014 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by magnification (Post 11237569)
Sounds good Mr Weasel. Tks.

Hope it works out, and please do take as much instruction or back to biking lessons as you can before deciding to tear up the roads. :thumbup: