Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Get Cape, Wear Cape, Fly

Get Cape, Wear Cape, Fly

Old Aug 5th 2007, 5:47 am
W10

Default Get Cape, Wear Cape, Fly

Only in Dubai could an up and coming indie star fly over here to play a gig, and be heckled by people wanting the DJ to come back and play some Killers or something.

I dispair of the people who live here.

Complain that no decent music comes, and when it does...pay Dh75 to treat it as a social event, chat amongst yourselves and heckle.

Old Aug 5th 2007, 5:49 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Get Cape, Wear Cape, Fly

Originally Posted by W10
Only in Dubai could an up and coming indie star fly over here to play a gig, and be heckled by people wanting the DJ to come back and play some Killers or something.

Complain that no decent music comes, and when it does...pay Dh75 to treat it as a social event, chat amongst yourselves and heckle.
that is why most events in this country are a waste of time, even going to the movies can be a rather unpleasant experience. People talking all the time etc! When I went to see Jamiroqui the fella in front of us was holding a business meeting with colleagues etc. Ignoring the show completely!!!
Old Aug 5th 2007, 5:55 am
W10

The selfish 'me, me, me' attitude really gets to me in this place.

Yes...the cinema too, or the way people complain there is no culture and then you go to art exhibitions and plays and see them half empty all the time.

You get the city you deserve I guess.

What I find really frustrating is that this guy isn't a has-been earning easy money. He's a rising (ish) star. Just played Glastonbury, playing the Radio One big weekend tour, nominated for an NME award this year.

These people don't play in Dubai...ever...so he'll be going back to the UK and telling other musicians not to bother.

Quality anti-Dubai rant at the end of his gig though!!

Old Aug 5th 2007, 6:05 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

you can't blame alot of performers for not wanting to come here, because of exactly what we are saying here. People don't want to listen, people won't attend and then people MOAN!! Before I had my little one if I had been invited to the opening of an envelope I would have gone, it is the only way to support people/organisers who are working their butts off to put on events and then no one turns up!! The theatre group at that is based at the Crowne Plaza is threatened with doom and gloom due to lack of attendances. The guy that runs that is so passionate and was appealing on the radio for support from all of us. I did contact him and suggest a more accesible venue.

The Comedy Festival - another one that fell flat due to attendance, locations were also an issue here though.

Shame
Old Aug 5th 2007, 6:07 am
W10

I thought the acts were the problem at the comedy festival.

Jim Davidson!!!

Perfect for Dubai though I'd have thought...

But seriously...while that doesn't appeal to me. There should be enough people to whom it did appeal to keep it going. A lot of people won't go to something unless it is free though...

Last edited by W10; Aug 5th 2007 at 6:17 am. Reason: making serious point...

Old Aug 5th 2007, 6:29 am
Concierge

agreed alot of the acts were 'older' and didn't get the audiences. However every single show they put on the Club in Abu Dhabi sold out. It seems the abu dhabi folk appreciate the effort others put into organising these events. All my events are at DCC - works well as there is alot of parking and all the taxi drivers know where it is. Where will I go when it closes?? find me one location that is accessible to all, with plenty of parking that isn't extortionately expensive, that also offers a closed room for a private event. I reckon all my events will come to an end. People will no longer put themselves out.
Old Aug 5th 2007, 7:08 am
BE Forum Addict

jvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=W10;5149937]I thought the acts were the problem at the comedy festival.

Jim Davidson!!!

Perfect for Dubai though I'd have thought...

QUOTE]

what a shame Manning is no more

What was the anti-Dubai rant?
Old Aug 5th 2007, 7:23 am
W10

At the end he was just having a go at the way Dubai treats foreign labour workers.

Saying 'I've been here for four days and I can see it, if you've been here for four years you must see it too...doesn't it bother you?'

Old Aug 5th 2007, 7:28 am
BE Forum Addict

jvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10
At the end he was just having a go at the way Dubai treats foreign labour workers.

Saying 'I've been here for four days and I can see it, if you've been here for four years you must see it too...doesn't it bother you?'
who is this guy?

I remember seeing some publicity for it - now i wish i had got my act together and gone! I'm one of the guilty for bemoaning the lack of culture here and when a live set comes along I manage not to go!
Old Aug 5th 2007, 8:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10

omg, i can't believe they did that, the peasants...

MM, xx
Old Aug 5th 2007, 8:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
agreed alot of the acts were 'older' and didn't get the audiences. However every single show they put on the Club in Abu Dhabi sold out. It seems the abu dhabi folk appreciate the effort others put into organising these events.
oh "older" is the nice term, BC...it was a load of old shite...the comedy store nights every month are always packed, so it's not fair to say people won't turn out for things...

MM, xx
Old Aug 5th 2007, 9:22 am
W10

Originally Posted by jvr20
who is this guy?

I remember seeing some publicity for it - now i wish i had got my act together and gone! I'm one of the guilty for bemoaning the lack of culture here and when a live set comes along I manage not to go!
Plays a kind of angsty politico semi-accoustic indie pop.

Signed to Atlantic last year, played Glastonbury this year...not going to be mega-famous but plays nice melodic music.

Old Aug 5th 2007, 9:49 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
oh "older" is the nice term, BC...it was a load of old shite...the comedy store nights every month are always packed, so it's not fair to say people won't turn out for things...

MM, xx
Bobby Davro were brilliant! I had a right laugh! I didn't see the younger crowd that Jim pulled in but I heard recordings of some of them and they were well funny. I just don't think the aviation club was the right location.
Old Aug 5th 2007, 9:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
Bobby Davro were brilliant! I had a right laugh! I didn't see the younger crowd that Jim pulled in but I heard recordings of some of them and they were well funny. I just don't think the aviation club was the right location.
think we'll have to agree to disagree BC...a night out with Bobby Davro and Jim Davidson for me would be worse than one with Diabolico...!!

MM, xx
Old Aug 5th 2007, 9:53 am

Welivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
think we'll have to agree to disagree BC...a night out with Bobby Davro and Jim Davidson for me would be worse than one with Diabolico...!! MM, xx
Ditto - Would rather gargle wasps....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.