Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Geant job offer in Riyadh

Geant job offer in Riyadh

Old Jul 23rd 2007, 10:42 am
patience...is a virtue!!!

reecefam has a brilliant futurereecefam has a brilliant futurereecefam has a brilliant futurereecefam has a brilliant futurereecefam has a brilliant futurereecefam has a brilliant future
Default Geant job offer in Riyadh

Hi,

Can you guys give me the good bits and bad bits of live in Riyadh.
Have got a job offer, paying £60k but with that i have to pay for housing, school for my two girls etc.
Is this going to be enough money?
What is family life like?
How serious are the security risks over there?
Sorry for so many questions but just need an insight!
Thanks.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 10:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Geant job offer in Riyadh

There have been lots of responses to similar questions on here, do a search then ask any specifics...must warn you, most of it ain't positive...

MM, xx
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 11:55 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ghlight=riyadh

if my memory serves me right this one of the better discussions on Riyadh.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 1:05 pm
Forum Regular

maranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to all

Lived there a few years back. You have to adjust your life but it is good. Im trying to get back there myself so it cant be all that bad. Money wise you will have to check what accomodation costs are at the moment. Mine was paid.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 2:40 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

There is a pretty active expat community life and the compunds are okay so give it a shot. Not a good place for women though (no driving, jobs or clubbing opportunities). Why not go on a bachelor basis and travel home as often as possible? I lived in Jeddah for 8 years and should have tried that.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 7:52 pm
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
Why not go on a bachelor basis and travel home as often as possible?
Because if you love your family, that's a truly horrible situation to be in? It's also notorious for being a marriage-wrecker.

Personally, I wouldn't even contemplate taking a job in another country if my wife and daughter weren't coming too. No amount of money could ever compensate me for not having my wife there and for missing seeing my daughter grow up.

Mind you, I also think no amount of money is worth moving to Saudi for
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

maranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to all

Originally Posted by GarethR
Because if you love your family, that's a truly horrible situation to be in? It's also notorious for being a marriage-wrecker.

Personally, I wouldn't even contemplate taking a job in another country if my wife and daughter weren't coming too. No amount of money could ever compensate me for not having my wife there and for missing seeing my daughter grow up.
Same here. I go back to London every weekend to be with my family. Its worth more than money.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 9:21 pm

reecefam has a brilliant futurereecefam has a brilliant futurereecefam has a brilliant futurereecefam has a brilliant futurereecefam has a brilliant futurereecefam has a brilliant future

Thanks a lot for your help...does not sound like people are too positive about Saudi!
I would not leave my family behind...if it was for 3 months then i would put up for it...but i could not be settled without them...no money could make me do that!
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by reecefam
Thanks a lot for your help...does not sound like people are too positive about Saudi!
I would not leave my family behind...if it was for 3 months then i would put up for it...but i could not be settled without them...no money could make me do that!
Dont let people put you off. Might not be as good as Dubai, but life in Saudi is as good as you make it. You need to adjust, and yes your wife cant drive there. But me and the mrs used to spend more time together over there than I did in London or now since all social stuff is done together. Besides each month when the paycheck comes through the problems fade into the background!
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 10:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by maranelloman
Dont let people put you off. Might not be as good as Dubai, but life in Saudi is as good as you make it. You need to adjust, and yes your wife cant drive there. But me and the mrs used to spend more time together over there than I did in London or now since all social stuff is done together. Besides each month when the paycheck comes through the problems fade into the background!
That's debatable in any of these situations. Some women can do it, some can't. That is not a criticism of either btw!

All you can do is be honest with your family about what they are likely to face then make a decision with your wife over whether any increased income is worth it. If the financials look good .. putting time limits on it can help. You dont have to stick to them but, counting down the months whilst counting up the bank balance seems more bearable than the unknown
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 10:24 pm

Is it really that bad then???
Why do people do it, if it is like that?
Can money really be worth it?
Are there no positives at all???
Thanks
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 10:44 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by reecefam
Hi,

Can you guys give me the good bits and bad bits of live in Riyadh.
Have got a job offer, paying £60k but with that i have to pay for housing, school for my two girls etc.
Is this going to be enough money?
What is family life like?
How serious are the security risks over there?
Sorry for so many questions but just need an insight!
Thanks.
Eh? I thought you were almost on your way here to New Zealand.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 10:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Amazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond repute

My husband and I worked in Saudi Arabia in a little place called Khamis Mushayt which was high up in the mountains in the southern region. There was one supermarket Al Gohneims. We worked in a hospital and lived on a western compound. Our social life was very good and a lot of it had to do with the local Khamis Quinns rugby club which was based in the BAe compound. We also had get togethers and parties and bbqs in our compound and we even celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary where we had over 160 guests as we basically invited everyone on our compound and a few good fellas from the BAe and rugby club. Life in Riyadh or Jeddah would be much better than this although still very restricted particularly for women but it helps if your wife could work. We left just before 9/11 so it wasnt so bad and was definitely what you made of it. It will be not so easy now so think long and hard and find out everything you can and speak to people who have been there and then make your decision. Our time in Saudi Arabia was good as we made the best of a bad deal but you have to be the right kind of person who can put up with all the restrictions. Good Luck
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 10:55 pm

Hi Bev...Saudi me 6 months ago but could not offer the money i wanted, thought i would ask them for silly money just for the hell of it, when they turned me down, i jumped for NZ and have applied for PR....BUT now Saudi have come back and have matched my salary request, so i am in a dilemma...lovely lifestyle in NZ but no money...or bad lifestyle and loads of dosh...still heading Auckland way i think...but money is tempting!!!
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 11:19 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

What a wonderful dilemma in a way. You have choice!

If you take up PR in NZ you can only be out of the country for so many days in each of the first two years.
When you come to apply for re-newed RRVs you will have to state how much time you have spent outside of NZ. You prove this through an IR form if you worked outside of NZ.
Something to think about as it may be possible to take a short term contract. Who knows

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.