Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

G'bye Dubai - Whats your exit strategy??

G'bye Dubai - Whats your exit strategy??

Old Feb 14th 2009, 7:51 pm
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute
Default G'bye Dubai - Whats your exit strategy??

Obviously with the market the way it is, alot of people have been planning their exit strategy should things go pear shaped.

I have alot of friends in real estate,and they are heading off to Goa, Thailand to ride out the storm as the markets globally are shafted.

Do you guys have an exit strategy or defining moment when you will call it a day here in the land of sand???
Old Feb 15th 2009, 12:49 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: G'bye Dubai - Whats your exit strategy??

Have no real debts here, so I guess if my company and I got divorced then I'd put our furnature into storage and either live in UAE with friends until I got another job in UAE or elsewhere.

Luckily our daughter is not school age so that is a massive issue that doesn't need factoring.

I guess its the people in debt up to their eyeballs with hugh car and rent loans and credit card debts that need to plan this very carefully.

When you look at the nuts and bolts of it, the UAE is a shocker of a place to be when the good times stop rolling..

Last edited by commander; Feb 15th 2009 at 12:57 am.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 3:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jammy_Dodgers
Obviously with the market the way it is, alot of people have been planning their exit strategy should things go pear shaped.

I have alot of friends in real estate,and they are heading off to Goa, Thailand to ride out the storm as the markets globally are shafted.

Do you guys have an exit strategy or defining moment when you will call it a day here in the land of sand???
Goa and Thailand doing OK then?

Or are they just great places to relax for a while until the clouds blow away.............??
Old Feb 15th 2009, 4:24 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Easy-peasy... Go back to the field position that I had before taking this cushtie office job... Id make more money and work less.... Kept the house in Scotland so simply give the guy a couple of months notice...
Old Feb 15th 2009, 4:39 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

We've got one... Phase 1 of implementation starts in, er... 7 weeks. Actually, no, that's Phase 2. Phase 3 being dependant on Mr Kitty's company.

For us the defining moment has already come. We're expecting another baby in June and simply can't run the risk of being made redundant (no more medical insurance, having to get out, having to pack the house, etc, etc, etc) in the 2 month window surrounding the birth. Well, that's when we're physically not allowed to fly, but then again, who wants the stress of potentially losing your job and having to move countries with a newborn and a toddler?!

We need a bit more stability and security than Dubai can offer right now.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 6:51 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

With or without job, we exit when it is closer the time when my eldest has to start preparing for Uni (years 10;11 and 12) and we head for Aus. So another 2 years left for us.

I am glad we've managed a rather long innings in Dubai

Oh yeah, my exit strategy also included learning how to cook and I've done it!!! My kids and hubby think I'm better than my cook, think I managed to kill their taste buds
Old Feb 15th 2009, 7:40 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

you thinking of leaving JD
Old Feb 15th 2009, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

Desert Rat is just really niceDesert Rat is just really niceDesert Rat is just really niceDesert Rat is just really niceDesert Rat is just really niceDesert Rat is just really niceDesert Rat is just really niceDesert Rat is just really nice

The worst is yet to come, most of the expats I know are leaving in March or June latest.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 10:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Our plan has never been to be here for a long time, or even a good time. My husband and his partners have a plan in place and that plan was one or two years for us in Dubai. We'll knuckle down and get stuck in for a year or two and then be off on the next phase of our journey.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 11:47 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

no real plan, not particularly indebted to anyone here, shit hits fan get on plane and leave pretty much sums up my plan.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 1:30 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like I made the right move going to Abu Dhabi a year ago...!

N.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 1:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

AnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of light

Plan? Yeah, abandon my stuff and run home before Im arrested for missing a cheque payment... duh.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 2:33 pm
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Still have a job, about 65% of that job lasting through the end of the year.

But first strategy is to sell the car now. Anyone interested in a four month old Mitsubishi Pajero 3.0? Blue. Excellent shape, excellent drive. Offers above 70,000 considered.

Second strategy is to look for a job elsewhere. Already sending out resumes within the UAE and elsewhere.

Though I still have a job with some degree of security, that security is declining each day and the last I want is a car loan on my shoulders. Several good friends have left already, and as time goes on, Dubai is less and less the place I want to be.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 2:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethos83
Still have a job, about 65% of that job lasting through the end of the year.

But first strategy is to sell the car now. Anyone interested in a four month old Mitsubishi Pajero 3.0? Blue. Excellent shape, excellent drive. Offers above 70,000 considered.

Second strategy is to look for a job elsewhere. Already sending out resumes within the UAE and elsewhere.

Though I still have a job with some degree of security, that security is declining each day and the last I want is a car loan on my shoulders. Several good friends have left already, and as time goes on, Dubai is less and less the place I want to be.
30,000 for the car.

OK?
Old Feb 15th 2009, 2:40 pm
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Pajero's are pretty pants, so ill take it off you for 31K.
Its better than my epica

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.