GBP1 = 5.3AED

Old Jun 2nd 2010, 10:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: GBP1 = 5.3AED

Hi all,

I've got a sizeable ammount of cash to send home, sadly the exchange rate has drifted back up to 5.4 I'm debating whether to sit on it for a while- anyone any feelings about the exchange rate and whether it will drop again or should I just send it home now?

Cheers for the advice

xxx
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 10:26 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Tricky question.

Whatever you do, don't send it via your bank as you'll get a lousy exchange rates and be charged a fee. I can refer you to a company that will offer you wholesale (i.e. much more competitive) rates without a fee. PM me for info.

-
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 11:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kittycat1
Hi all,

I've got a sizeable ammount of cash to send home, sadly the exchange rate has drifted back up to 5.4 I'm debating whether to sit on it for a while- anyone any feelings about the exchange rate and whether it will drop again or should I just send it home now?

Cheers for the advice

xxx
Well, it's crept up by almost 3% since mid-May, but is still about 10% lower than it was in mid-January. You'll never hit the 'best possible rate' at the 'best possible time'.

Just do it, but use the right agent (as per Meow's suggestion).

I still think it will go lower in the longer term (see earlier post in this thread) but we can't always have the luxury of picking and choosing our timings......
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 11:14 am
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kittycat1
Hi all,

Cheers for the advice

xxx
heh... 5.4 - remembers the horrible years of 7....
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 12:38 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Autonomy
heh... 5.4 - remembers the horrible years of 7....
Depends on which way you are sendig money. I've had a lot of my income paid in Sterling recently. Needless to say, it's staying there for now.

-
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 12:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
Well, it's crept up by almost 3% since mid-May, but is still about 10% lower than it was in mid-January. You'll never hit the 'best possible rate' at the 'best possible time'.

Just do it, but use the right agent (as per Meow's suggestion).

I still think it will go lower in the longer term (see earlier post in this thread) but we can't always have the luxury of picking and choosing our timings......
........ although some people seem to have stronger opinions.......

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/58958...currency-rates
Old Nov 13th 2010, 3:06 pm
Forum Regular

RedRoar75 is an unknown quantity at this point

Unfortunately I didn't transfer when it was 5.3 and unfortunately I didnt listen to EmiratesMilhouse (lesson learnt). The "wholesale prices" of Global Currency Network get whupped by the rates offered by UAE exchange. I know via whom the next batch is going.

On c33K sterling, GCN were about 3-400 quid better than HSBC... but UEN exchange would have been a further 500 quid better (and that's rocking up with a cheque...)

The GCN guys seem to be getting pushed an awful lot by "Independent" Financial advisers.. but they wont be getting any more of my cash (and you wont be getting your % in future Miaow)
Old Nov 13th 2010, 6:23 pm
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

I have found it really depends on the day you ask, and when the various places have moved their rates. There have been times when even Lloyds have beaten GCN, but generally GCN do come out on top.
Old Nov 13th 2010, 11:53 pm
Global Hobo

Norsk-also is an unknown quantity at this point

hah..my old man was at one point paid in ECU...that was $10 000 lost a year at one point. Unlucky.
Old Nov 14th 2010, 10:24 am
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by RedRoar75
Unfortunately I didn't transfer when it was 5.3 and unfortunately I didnt listen to EmiratesMilhouse (lesson learnt). The "wholesale prices" of Global Currency Network get whupped by the rates offered by UAE exchange. I know via whom the next batch is going.

On c33K sterling, GCN were about 3-400 quid better than HSBC... but UEN exchange would have been a further 500 quid better (and that's rocking up with a cheque...)

The GCN guys seem to be getting pushed an awful lot by "Independent" Financial advisers.. but they wont be getting any more of my cash (and you wont be getting your % in future Miaow)
I have always found that they offer decent rates for significant amounts. And they are very clear about the rate that you accept in writing. For the record, I make barely anything out of it.