British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   GBP Bank A/cs (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/gbp-bank-cs-598533/)

Fairydust Mar 19th 2009 3:19 am

GBP Bank A/cs

I did a search and see that its possible to open a GBP bank a/c here in Dubai - not interested in an offshore a/c as its for my daughter and she doesn't have the minimum balance. Do these a/cs offer an ATM card or are they purely savings a/cs. Do all banks offer these a/cs? Any help would be great. Thanks

admon Mar 19th 2009 4:00 am

Re: GBP Bank A/cs

Originally Posted by Fairydust (Post 7396151)
I did a search and see that its possible to open a GBP bank a/c here in Dubai - not interested in an offshore a/c as its for my daughter and she doesn't have the minimum balance. Do these a/cs offer an ATM card or are they purely savings a/cs. Do all banks offer these a/cs? Any help would be great. Thanks

sure I'll be corrected..

generally they are savings accounts for transfers only. If you try to put gbp into those accounts, some banks will accept it (grudgingly), some banks will demand that it is put into a dhs account first after being 'exchanged' before being transferred to the gbp account.
I haven't heard of foreign currency account here where you can get cards in that currency, don't think it's possible.

Lloyds and HSBC offer gbp accounts for sure

Fairydust Mar 19th 2009 4:12 am

Originally Posted by admon (Post 7396244)
sure I'll be corrected..

generally they are savings accounts for transfers only. If you try to put gbp into those accounts, some banks will accept it (grudgingly), some banks will demand that it is put into a dhs account first after being 'exchanged' before being transferred to the gbp account.
I haven't heard of foreign currency account here where you can get cards in that currency, don't think it's possible.

Lloyds and HSBC offer gbp accounts for sure

ok so any idea of what other options there are? Shes got about 5k in an offshore a/c but that is now costing GBP 20 per month as under 25k balance, and a small amount in a First Direct a/c but that is also attracting fees as no salary paid in!! Its a bloody nightmare what are you supposed to do with this money!!

admon Mar 19th 2009 4:26 am

Originally Posted by Fairydust (Post 7396273)
ok so any idea of what other options there are? Shes got about 5k in an offshore a/c but that is now costing GBP 20 per month as under 25k balance, and a small amount in a First Direct a/c but that is also attracting fees as no salary paid in!! Its a bloody nightmare what are you supposed to do with this money!!

I think you will face monthly fees here for most accounts if the balance is under aed10k

Mischief Queen Mar 19th 2009 7:46 am

NBAD Ladies Account has no minimum balance. :)