Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Gay guy moving from London to Dubai

Gay guy moving from London to Dubai

Old Sep 26th 2007, 11:59 am
Forum Regular

londonguy28 is a name known to alllondonguy28 is a name known to alllondonguy28 is a name known to alllondonguy28 is a name known to alllondonguy28 is a name known to alllondonguy28 is a name known to alllondonguy28 is a name known to alllondonguy28 is a name known to alllondonguy28 is a name known to alllondonguy28 is a name known to alllondonguy28 is a name known to all
Smile Re: Gay guy moving from London to Dubai

Thanks for all your help. Take care
Old Sep 26th 2007, 12:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gay guy moving from London to Dubai

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie
you need to have posted on the forum at least 5 times before you can send a PM. The PM link is in the upper left of your window.

Good luck with everything, mate.
oops. i meant the other left. top right hand corner, next to your "welcome" message...
Old Sep 26th 2007, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

londonguy28 is a name known to alllondonguy28 is a name known to alllondonguy28 is a name known to alllondonguy28 is a name known to alllondonguy28 is a name known to alllondonguy28 is a name known to alllondonguy28 is a name known to alllondonguy28 is a name known to alllondonguy28 is a name known to alllondonguy28 is a name known to alllondonguy28 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie
oops. i meant the other left. top right hand corner, next to your "welcome" message...
LOL no wonder i couldn't find it. Thanks again
Old Sep 26th 2007, 12:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Confucius
There are gay houses in Dubai???Hmmm...Learn something new each day and apply it to my everyday life,then...
I have a friend who cottages,but,he's in Sharjah...And he's 48,and recently had botox on his forehead...You know the type; blooming diva that he is...

Thanks for that, but not into cottages, I enjoy a good night out on the town....lol Oh i might need some Botox in a few years time....

Last edited by londonguy28; Sep 26th 2007 at 12:53 pm.
Old Sep 26th 2007, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Gay guy moving from London to Dubai

Originally Posted by The Dean
Why not go to Iran? According to their nice Mr President at Columbia University yesterday, there aren't any homosexuals there...... you'd be unique, you'd get all the media attention, and the liberal-minded ethos of the place would make you feel most welcome.........

More seriously........... just do it...... as you have already discovered about Dubai, it's a good place to live. I'm in Riyadh, where an openly gay scene is not only tolerated, but positively encouraged. Dubai is a bit more conservative, but you'll be fine.............

By the way.......... just don't mention the gay thing. It's not that it's a problem...... it's just that it's not relevant. You'll mingle mostly with an expat crowd anyway, and in my experience they don't give a toss....... as it were.......
LOL, Oh yeah let me the first person to be stoned to death in Iran, How famous will I be? I wonder what they have done to all the gay men/women there? I really don't wish to go there... Thanks for the offer.

Dubai at the moment is top of my list and I hope I do make it there....
Old Sep 26th 2007, 2:30 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by londonguy28
LOL, Oh yeah let me the first person to be stoned to death in Iran, How famous will I be? I wonder what they have done to all the gay men/women there? I really don't wish to go there... Thanks for the offer.

Dubai at the moment is top of my list and I hope I do make it there....
Officially, I believe that homosexuality is strictly illegal in Saudi and yet its openly rampant there...the same is true in Iran most likely.
Old Sep 26th 2007, 2:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
Officially, I believe that homosexuality is strictly illegal in Saudi and yet its openly rampant there...the same is true in Iran most likely.
Good grief Lionheart - you're at it again..........

Of course there are homosexuals in Saudi. But "openly rampant"?? In what way precisely?? There are sporadic reports of 'gatherings'.... but when nice Mr Saudi Policeman discovers one of them, the reaction is not exactly a modest slap on the wrist............
Old Sep 26th 2007, 3:14 pm
Forum Regular

Of course there are homosexuals in Saudi. But "openly rampant"?? In what way precisely?? There are sporadic reports of 'gatherings'.... but when nice Mr Saudi Policeman discovers one of them, the reaction is not exactly a modest slap on the wrist............
It's never a slap on the wrist, nice Mr Saudi/ Iranian Policeman discovers one, he will make him do all sorts and then straight to jail... charges will be murder... Who wants to go againist the government and say he was gay? So they leave it to that.... That's not the world I come from nor do I want to go to that world.
Old Sep 26th 2007, 3:28 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

You said yourself that the gay scene in Riyadh is actively encouraged...maybe the word "rampant" may have been misinterpreted...it wasn't meant as a bad thing.
Old Sep 26th 2007, 4:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that, but not into cottages, I enjoy a good night out on the town....lol Oh i might need some Botox in a few years time....
When you're my age,you'll definititly need it...
Old Sep 26th 2007, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Confucius
When you're my age,you'll definititly need it...
LOL, I think I need it now, if it's going cheap...
Old Sep 26th 2007, 6:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

LOL, I think I need it now, if it's going cheap...
If you have Bartercard credit points,it can easily be arranged...That's how he did it...
Old Sep 26th 2007, 6:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
You said yourself that the gay scene in Riyadh is actively encouraged...maybe the word "rampant" may have been misinterpreted...it wasn't meant as a bad thing.
Er........ Lionheart......

When I said the gay scene in Riyadh was 'not only tolerated but actively encouraged' I was joking...... didn't you spot that from my observation that "Dubai was MORE conservative than Riyadh"??

Next time I'm making an (admittedly feeble) attempt at humour, I'll write it in capital letters for you..........

Homosexuality in the Magic Kingdom carries the death penalty........ I'm aware that's slightly more draconian than a 'slap on the wrist'.... another point you failed to spot.
Old Sep 26th 2007, 7:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Er........ Lionheart......

When I said the gay scene in Riyadh was 'not only tolerated but actively encouraged' I was joking...... didn't you spot that from my observation that "Dubai was MORE conservative than Riyadh"??

Next time I'm making an (admittedly feeble) attempt at humour, I'll write it in capital letters for you..........

Homosexuality in the Magic Kingdom carries the death penalty........ I'm aware that's slightly more draconian than a 'slap on the wrist'.... another point you failed to spot.
I thought they would cut it off as punishment...
Old Sep 29th 2007, 11:36 am
Diarist

secretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to behold

Having read through this thread, assuming Lionheart is not joking, I strongly recommend he chooses another country or region to work in.

While there are real estate positions here and *some* agents make good money, there are a fkload making fk all. As for call centre management positions, I would hazard a guess they are generally subcon jobs here (ie very low paid). I could be wrong, but I've certainly never met any western call centre people based in Dubai.

If you really want to do something different with your life, I would recommend doing a TESL/EFL/CELTA (or self-studying for one, then claiming you have one) then teaching English overseas somewhere. Try http://www.eslcafe.com/ for job listings and information. Failing that, if you haven't yet backpacked round Australia, do that while you still can (cut off is 30 for the "backpacking visa"). It will transform your life, and you could strike it lucky and fall into a job where an employer might be prepared to sponsor you for a permanent visa.

I just don't think Dubai at this stage is going to be your kind of place. I know there is an impression overseas that it is a hugely exciting, clubbing and nightlife kind of place, but trust me: it is no Ibiza.

Compared to Sharjah it is Ibiza; compared to London it is Swindon.

And seriously speaking, the fact that you chose the username "gay_guy" and wrote this thread about finding gay housemates indicates that being gay is a huge part of your identity and lifestyle. Nothing wrong with that. But Dubai is not currently a good choice for people really into the gay lifestyle, you would find a lot lacking here and be disappointed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.