Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Gas - losing the will etc...

Gas - losing the will etc...

Old Feb 1st 2011, 8:27 am
Perky but sarky

lullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Gas - losing the will etc...

Just moved from Abu Dhabi to Dubai. Have lootah gas in the new apartment. Apparently can't use old (read five months old) cooker without having new nozzles fitted as different type of gas..

Lootah guy can't help.

Concierge can't help - guy he knew only works in Sharjah.

Lootah HQ can't help.

Went into same brand supermarket we bought cooker from and they hadno idea what we were talking about.

After having a mini meltdown in the kitchen which included screaming, kicking the cooker and throwing bits of paper around I am pleading for advice. Surely this must be quite common or was my building in AD the only one with special gas connections? Or is it that lootah have special gas connections? It needs different nozzles for the burners... Oh ye gods.

Why is nothing simple here? It's such a stupid little thing but it's floored me because no-one seems to know anything. Including me.

And I hadn't had a full scale meltdown since September...

Any advice or numbers of clever gas men gratefully received.
Old Feb 1st 2011, 8:43 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Gas - losing the will etc...

I can't help you but my solution would be to flog the cooker on Dubizzle and buy a slightly used, nearly brand new cooker from a departing expat. Problem solved.

Originally Posted by lullabelle
Just moved from Abu Dhabi to Dubai. Have lootah gas in the new apartment. Apparently can't use old (read five months old) cooker without having new nozzles fitted as different type of gas..

Lootah guy can't help.

Concierge can't help - guy he knew only works in Sharjah.

Lootah HQ can't help.

Went into same brand supermarket we bought cooker from and they hadno idea what we were talking about.

After having a mini meltdown in the kitchen which included screaming, kicking the cooker and throwing bits of paper around I am pleading for advice. Surely this must be quite common or was my building in AD the only one with special gas connections? Or is it that lootah have special gas connections? It needs different nozzles for the burners... Oh ye gods.

Why is nothing simple here? It's such a stupid little thing but it's floored me because no-one seems to know anything. Including me.

And I hadn't had a full scale meltdown since September...

Any advice or numbers of clever gas men gratefully received.
Old Feb 1st 2011, 8:58 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Lootah?
Old Feb 1st 2011, 9:16 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

Presumably your cooker is designed to work off LPG (bottled gas)? The new apartment has piped gas which will have a different mixture of methane, propane and butane. If you don't fix the nozzles, you risk incomplete combustion of the gas, meaning in the best case smoke, and in the worst case lots of carbon monoxide which is definitely not a good thing.
Old Feb 1st 2011, 9:23 am
Account Closed

In other words, it's much safer to flog the cooker and get a new one.

Originally Posted by csdf
Presumably your cooker is designed to work off LPG (bottled gas)? The new apartment has piped gas which will have a different mixture of methane, propane and butane. If you don't fix the nozzles, you risk incomplete combustion of the gas, meaning in the best case smoke, and in the worst case lots of carbon monoxide which is definitely not a good thing.
Old Feb 1st 2011, 10:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by csdf
is that actually true though? I thought that the buildings here use LNG too... just it's stored on the roof.
Old Feb 1st 2011, 10:44 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

we have mains gas (allegedly), Emirates Gas come and fill up a tank in the basement (freaks me out), we paid 500 dhs when we moved in and that is for the entire time we are, good value for money really
Old Feb 1st 2011, 11:06 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

We've had the same cooker that we had when we lived in The Ranches - used bottled gas. Now in Shoreline, uses mains gas and never had to do anything special to get cooker onto mains gas.
I think Shoreline has just moved from Royal Gas to Lootah (and when we moved in Royal Gas took over from some other company), so maybe it is the usual Dubai trick of charging you for something you don't need?
Old Feb 1st 2011, 11:25 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
We've had the same cooker that we had when we lived in The Ranches - used bottled gas. Now in Shoreline, uses mains gas and never had to do anything special to get cooker onto mains gas.
I think Shoreline has just moved from Royal Gas to Lootah (and when we moved in Royal Gas took over from some other company), so maybe it is the usual Dubai trick of charging you for something you don't need?
you know at Jumeirah Village it is 500 dhs for a gas bottle, no other companies are allowed to deliver
Old Feb 1st 2011, 11:37 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Although it cooks better than electicity, I personally hate gas. Stick with an electric cooker, much safer, especially over here.
Old Feb 1st 2011, 12:00 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by lionheart
Although it cooks better than electicity, I personally hate gas. Stick with an electric cooker, much safer, especially over here.
totally agree with you on that
Old Feb 1st 2011, 12:02 pm
Account Closed

Whoa, how can that be? Can the developers actually control what the residents purchase? They might as well declare Ikea banned and only Home Centre allowed.

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
you know at Jumeirah Village it is 500 dhs for a gas bottle, no other companies are allowed to deliver
Old Feb 1st 2011, 12:04 pm
Account Closed

I am told by many a knowledgeable expert that gas is better for the stove top and electricity is better for the oven as it distributes heat more evenly, which is important in baking and roasting.

We always had gas when growing up. Not an explosion! My issue with the electric cooker is when I turn off the switch heat still emits from the hobs and it takes a few minutes to cool down. The cat burned his paws once....

Though, mind you, he learned a valuable lesson.

Originally Posted by lionheart
Old Feb 1st 2011, 12:09 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Ethos83
Whoa, how can that be? Can the developers actually control what the residents purchase? They might as well declare Ikea banned and only Home Centre allowed.
yes the developers are controlling it, it's a disgrace, and no one is told when they are at the signing leases part of renting
Old Feb 1st 2011, 1:09 pm
Perky but sarky

lullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Re: Gas - losing the will etc...

Lootah is the gas supplier to the apartment.

I'd understand if I was running the cooker off bottled gas before but it was piped gas to the apartment in abu dhabi.

And I have no intention of touching it myself, I would always use a professional when it comes to gas.

Its the knowledge vacuum that gets me. You'd think I'd just emigrated from outer mongolia and not another emirate.

Its been a bad week, forgive me. I don't normally throw tantrums over gas but it was the last in a whole line of shite things...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.