Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Gas bottles in apartments

Gas bottles in apartments

Old Dec 4th 2016, 12:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Gas bottles in apartments

Hello,

So I'm moving apartment next weekend. I discovered after signing the lease (annoyingly as I checked literally everything else) - that the building is sans-gas. It is a brand new building and I'm told that there is a now a regulation that all new buildings have to be gas free (in principle - I agree with this policy).

But it means two things:

1) I now have buy a new oven/stove, Nothing beats the a gas hob/electric oven combo and I hate electric hobs but I'm not using a bottle.

2) Does this mean wankers in my building will be using gas bottles? Or is it safe to assume that the rule will be enforced and no gas will be allowed in to the building?

Does anyone want to buy a 18mth old clean gas hob/electric oven?
Old Dec 4th 2016, 12:53 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gas bottles in apartments

Get yourself a cooker with an induction hob and you will never want to go back to gas - it is as controllable as gas, but as easy to keep clean as a smooth "sealed surface" electric hob, or in fact actually even easier as the induction heating system doesn't burn spills and splashes onto the surface.

Induction works by making the pans hot from inside, rather than making heat under the pan and hoping that most of the heat migrates into the pan. If you make a spill or splash on the inductuon surface you can pick the pan up and wipe the surface immediately with a damp cloth because the glass surface is only as hot as the pan sitting on it.

An added benefit to an induction hob is that almost all the heat goes into the pan, so you don't get all the heat coming around the pan and making your kitchen unbearably hot - so your air conditioning doesn't have to work as hard.

Last edited by Pulaski; Dec 4th 2016 at 12:56 pm.
Old Dec 4th 2016, 1:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Get yourself a cooker with an induction hob and you will never want to go back to gas - it is as controllable as gas, but as easy to keep clean as a smooth "sealed surface" electric hob, or in fact actually even easier as the induction heating system doesn't burn spills and splashes onto the surface.

Induction works by making the pans hot from inside, rather than making heat under the pan and hoping that most of the heat migrates into the pan. If you make a spill or splash on the inductuon surface you can pick the pan up and wipe the surface immediately with a damp cloth because the glass surface is only as hot as the pan sitting on it.

An added benefit to an induction hob is that almost all the heat goes into the pan, so you don't get all the heat coming around the pan and making your kitchen unbearably hot - so your air conditioning doesn't have to work as hard.
and replace my pots?!
Old Dec 4th 2016, 1:03 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
and replace my pots?!
Yes, if they're not iron or steel.
Old Dec 5th 2016, 5:33 am
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute

My god, I think I've just stumbled into an expatwoman thread.
Old Dec 5th 2016, 6:57 am
Forum Regular

MAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse

2) Does this mean wankers in my building will be using gas bottles? Or is it safe to assume that the rule will be enforced and no gas will be allowed in to the building?
I think you already know the answer to that question...

The building I'm in has central gas, occasionally there are posters in the lifts and on notice boards to say that gas bottles are not allowed. There are also notices about partitioning not being allowed, yet I had new neighbours move in last month, workmen spent 2 days putting in partitions.
Old Dec 6th 2016, 3:03 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Ask security how to get gas bottles. If they give you loads of info then you can worry if that sort of thing worries you.

If they tell you that you can't then you can relax.