Reload this Page >

Garnada Village Compound, Riyadh

Garnada Village Compound, Riyadh

Old Sep 28th 2011, 7:59 am
Forum Regular

mcmonkiez is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Garnada Village Compound, Riyadh

Hello!

anybody living in garnada village, riyadh?

just recently moved in and looks good however I dont know anybody and would be really helpful if somebody guide me about the city as well as activites within garnada village as well as within british embassy?

Thanks
Old Sep 28th 2011, 11:09 am
Forum Regular

khitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nice
Default Re: Garnada Village Compound, Riyadh

Do you mean Granada? If you've got into Granada you're a very lucky SOB. If you're in a compound it should take long for you to get up to speed with all the goings on. As for the rest of the city let me know what you're after and I'll do my best to answer.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

mcmonkiez is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Granada Village Compound, Riyadh

Originally Posted by khitan004
Do you mean Granada? If you've got into Granada you're a very lucky SOB. If you're in a compound it should take long for you to get up to speed with all the goings on. As for the rest of the city let me know what you're after and I'll do my best to answer.
Correct: Granada (thanks)

Got it via Employer and have to admit it's a nice compound..

Can I get rent a car using my UK driving Licience? if yes I dont have my Ikama as for yet... should be able to collect from HR by end of next week.. insh'Allah not sure what are the rules getting and riving rent a car in Saudi also
Anyways.. not sure howmy 1st week gone so quick...glad it's a weekend and like to explore this city in more detail....and if you can pls give me some guide/safe places to visit ... would be really great help?

Last edited by mcmonkiez; Sep 28th 2011 at 1:33 pm.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 2:37 pm
Some say, he adores KSA

iamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by mcmonkiez
Can I get rent a car using my UK driving Licience? if yes I dont have my Ikama as for yet... should be able to collect from HR by end of next week.. insh'Allah not sure what are the rules getting and riving rent a car in Saudi also
Anyways.. not sure howmy 1st week gone so quick...glad it's a weekend and like to explore this city in more detail....and if you can pls give me some guide/safe places to visit ... would be really great help?
You can only rent a hire car with an international driving licence I'm afraid, and if you don't have one it's too late as you have to apply 3 months in advance.

Iquama in a week? Don't hold your breath... Took four weeks after entry with a work visa for me. Had your medical yet? Don't bother with the stool sample, I didn't and had no problems.

Once you have your iquama you can start the process of getting a Saudi licence, your employer should help. Translations (SAR30), blood test (SAR50), licence fee (depends on how long you want it for, and you have to pay some one to make the payment for you, there's a guy hanging around the ATM, another SAR25), eye test then drive 20m round a bollard, job done. Takes a morning, go as early as you can, and be prepared for plenty of queuing.

There is a wealth of info on here, just pop Riyadh in the search box, but don't get too disappointed when you find there is not an awful lot to do or see. As a compound dweller (lucky b...), there will be plenty going on to keep you occupied I'm sure.

Last edited by iamthestig; Sep 28th 2011 at 2:41 pm.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

khitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nice

Yeah, who the hell do you work for?

I've not been all around the city but driving through it looks pretty similar. Have walked up Olaya Street before from Faisaliyah Mall (the tower with the ball) to Kingdom Mall (The one with the big hole) and that whole street is pretty nice, but all there is are shops. Since you're on a compound there sould be compound drivers. They should know where the big souqs (markets) are. I've been to the 2nd hand souq and the gold souq.

Both are huge and you can spend a fair few hours wondering around both. I've never felt unsafe even wondering down sidestreets but I guess it's how you are in yourself really. The second hand souq is amazing and spralls for miles. You can get pretty much anything you need and have brought back amazing dresses for the missus before, they just need dry cleaning to get rid of the stench of desert out of them.

Be prepared to haggle and barter though. I have never been comfortable with it before but I tried it and have to admit I love it. You just have to go in with a set figure in mind (fairly low) and play the game and nobody gets offended because everybody knows it's a game. Don't be a afraid to pull the walking away gambit to get your final offer, if not, never mind, the next stall has exactly the same stuff!

The gold souq is incredible too. Still quite pricey so don't expect massive discounts but you can go in with pictures of jewellery and they custom make it for you. Haven't done this and don't know whether the saudi tradition of taking your money and then asking for more once it's completed would apply. They can be quite shady businessmen.

If you can get a car then just have a drive round, without getting into and accident, which is more difficult than it should be. There really isn't too much to do other than malls to be honest.

Get to know your fellow compound residents, someone will know what is going down in the DQ (diplomatic quarter) where all the embassies are. They regularly have soirees of some kind or another and are fairly cheap if you know who to get tickets from.

I'm also looking to get out into the desert for walks/runs. This is called a 'hash' and there are several groups of which you can find on the internet.

If you want to go around the city, wait for prayer time. Roads are usually empty.

Think that about exhausts my knowledge.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 7:26 pm
Forum Regular

Fahd will become famous soon enoughFahd will become famous soon enough

if you love golf there is a golf club north of riyadh .

if know how to ride a horse there is also a club in Malaz .

if you love desert (and you will ) there are many places .

but first maybe you would like know a little bet about Saudi history you can start with Al Masmak palace it is in the middle of riyadh it is really nice place i suggest to you visiting it tomorrow morning the gate of the palace opens 9:00 AM . you will see many westerners their .

http://www.stockpodium.com/stock-pho...city-image.jpg
Old Sep 28th 2011, 8:02 pm
Some say, he adores KSA

iamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Fahd
but first maybe you would like know a little bet about Saudi history you can start with Al Masmak palace it is in the middle of riyadh it is really nice place i suggest to you visiting it tomorrow morning the gate of the palace opens 9:00 AM . you will see many westerners their .

[url]
Can I take my camera or will I get stopped by the police like last time I went out with it?

Also, will it be open to single guys at other times as many of us have to work on Thursdays.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 2:49 am
Forum Regular

Fahd will become famous soon enoughFahd will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by iamthestig
Can I take my camera or will I get stopped by the police like last time I went out with it?

Also, will it be open to single guys at other times as many of us have to work on Thursdays.
last time when I visited that place I took my camera with me and nobody say nothing .it is a historical place and having a camera is obvious .

for singles you can go Sat,Mon,Wed . and it opens 8-12 Am and 4-9 Pm .
Old Sep 29th 2011, 1:05 pm
Just Joined

sterobbo2k is just really nicesterobbo2k is just really nicesterobbo2k is just really nicesterobbo2k is just really nicesterobbo2k is just really nicesterobbo2k is just really nicesterobbo2k is just really nicesterobbo2k is just really nicesterobbo2k is just really nice

Hi,
I am in Granada Village, if theres anything you like to know drop my a pm and I will do my best to help out. Who is it you will be working for?
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 6:47 am
Forum Regular

Stealth Otter has a spectacular aura aboutStealth Otter has a spectacular aura aboutStealth Otter has a spectacular aura about

You can only rent a hire car with an international driving licence I'm afraid, and if you don't have one it's too late as you have to apply 3 months in advance.

Iquama in a week? Don't hold your breath... Took four weeks after entry with a work visa for me. Had your medical yet? Don't bother with the stool sample, I didn't and had no problems.

Once you have your iquama you can start the process of getting a Saudi licence, your employer should help. Translations (SAR30), blood test (SAR50), licence fee (depends on how long you want it for, and you have to pay some one to make the payment for you, there's a guy hanging around the ATM, another SAR25), eye test then drive 20m round a bollard, job done. Takes a morning, go as early as you can, and be prepared for plenty of queuing.

There is a wealth of info on here, just pop Riyadh in the search box, but don't get too disappointed when you find there is not an awful lot to do or see. As a compound dweller (lucky b...), there will be plenty going on to keep you occupied I'm sure.
You can rent a car with a UK driving licence, it doesn't have to be an international one.
Make sure as soon as you get your Iqama you get yourself a Saudi licence as you won't be insured by the rental company.
For the licence, you don't need a blood test, you just need to know your blood group as they put it on the licence.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 4:41 pm
Just Joined

sladepa is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi. Looks like we will be moving into Granada in the new year. Does anyone know if dogs are allowed (dog will masquerade as a guard dog for custom purposes!!) Regards Paul
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 12:42 pm
Just Joined

alihaider is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you know what are the rentals for Granada Compound for 3BR villa and if there is any availability?
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 6:00 pm
Banned

Desert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to behold

I started renting on a Bahraini license which was three weeks from expiring and continued on the Irish license.

I got my IQAMA in 4 days and the driving license in day 5. After the medical it takes less than a day and the medical should take no more than 2 days for results to come through.
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 7:52 pm
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Desert Dubliner
I started renting on a Bahraini license which was three weeks from expiring and continued on the Irish license.
In my experience the local companies care rather less than the international chains.
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 7:54 pm
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

Think you've got the wrong end of the stick here. You can get the IDP immediately from a post office, but it can only start up to three months after you get it (i.e. if you get it April 1 it can start any date between April 1 and July 1, and is valid for 12 months).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.