Gaol

Old Dec 21st 2009, 7:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute
Default Gaol

Hey - if I write a cheque.....and then decide to cancel it....I cancel it at the bank....and I notify the person I gave the cheque to that that cheque is cancelled well in advance to the cheque date (rent cheque)....and give them cash instead (through direct debit - so there's evidence)....can that person threaten to bank the cheque and send me to jail?

Got some guy here trying to be big scary man.
Old Dec 21st 2009, 9:58 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gaol

hmm i have no idea
Old Dec 21st 2009, 10:01 am
BE Enthusiast

spartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of light

The judge will ask you if you signed the cheque and if you say yes then he will ask you if you have the money to pay the cheque if you say no you will go to jail once the case comes to court. You should have got the cheque back once you gave him the cash.

The police might be more helpful and listen to your reasons but if this gets to court it could get nasty.

Mike
Old Dec 21st 2009, 11:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

I am so over this place.

Anyway - bank says it won't bounce if the cheque is cancelled ahead of the date on the cheque (which it is - and was my original question).

The funds isn't the issue...there are funds in the account....I just don't want this f.cuk nut getting my money twice.
Old Dec 21st 2009, 1:43 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jeeper
I am so over this place.

Anyway - bank says it won't bounce if the cheque is cancelled ahead of the date on the cheque (which it is - and was my original question).

The funds isn't the issue...there are funds in the account....I just don't want this f.cuk nut getting my money twice.
Why didn't you get the cheque back when you paid him? Would you do the same in the UK, give someone a cheque and transfer money to their account?

If so, my fadder is a guvenment minster......
Old Dec 21st 2009, 1:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Roadking
Why didn't you get the cheque back when you paid him? Would you do the same in the UK, give someone a cheque and transfer money to their account?

If so, my fadder is a guvenment minster......
I would never live in the UK again for starters....so I guess...NO.
Old Dec 21st 2009, 2:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

I am so over this place.

I didn't think that you could cancel a cheque in the UAE?
Old Dec 21st 2009, 4:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by admon
I didn't think that you could cancel a cheque in the UAE?
You can.

Costs 100chips. F'n rip off.
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 2:52 am
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

You can.

Costs 100chips. F'n rip off.
So lots of people that have done a runner for the cashing of security cheques could have simply paid a hundred chips to have that cheque cancelled.

No cheque bounce = no arrest?
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 3:22 am
BE Forum Addict

So lots of people that have done a runner for the cashing of security cheques could have simply paid a hundred chips to have that cheque cancelled.

No cheque bounce = no arrest?
Security cheques don't tend to be yours to cancel do they? I mean, the ones i've seen (never signed one) are usually generated by the bank. How you cancel a bank's cheque I don't know.

IndieGirl will know the answers....
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 3:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Security cheques don't tend to be yours to cancel do they? I mean, the ones i've seen (never signed one) are usually generated by the bank. How you cancel a bank's cheque I don't know.

IndieGirl will know the answers....
A cheque that is usually used as security is simply a signed, post dated cheque.

As far as I know, no bank would issue a cheque on behalf of a customer without taking the funds from the customers account, before issuing it.
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 3:43 am
BE Forum Addict

A cheque that is usually used as security is simply a signed, post dated cheque.

As far as I know, no bank would issue a cheque on behalf of a customer without taking the funds from the customers account, before issuing it.
I'm not an expert on these matters by any means, but what I meant was....a security cheque isn't usually one from your own cheque book.
Or is it? I'm just trying to think of why people can't cancel them.
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 11:54 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

i think the security cheque is one of your own, because it's counted as your asset, against which you take out the loan.
Cancelling the security cheque without paying the loan would be like giving a mate your house keys as security for a wodge of cash and then changing the locks.
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 12:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty
i think the security cheque is one of your own, because it's counted as your asset, against which you take out the loan.
Cancelling the security cheque without paying the loan would be like giving a mate your house keys as security for a wodge of cash and then changing the locks.
Again...what i meant was....it's not usually out of your own cheque book. I know it would be 'my cheque' in either case.

I know i've been asked to sign security cheques against a credit card (to which i've always refused) - that cheque was not from my own cheque book....it was a bank generated cheque that they asked me to sign.

Get the difference I am refrerring to?

Mybe you can cancel cheques from your own cheque book....but not bank generated security cheques that you have signed. Just a guess.

End of the day....I succeded in canceling a cheque....so I cannot answer the question about why debt runners don't cancel cheques....the above is my best guess.

Last edited by Jeeper; Dec 23rd 2009 at 12:13 pm.
Old Dec 24th 2009, 1:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Hey - if I write a cheque.....and then decide to cancel it....I cancel it at the bank....and I notify the person I gave the cheque to that that cheque is cancelled well in advance to the cheque date (rent cheque)....and give them cash instead (through direct debit - so there's evidence)....can that person threaten to bank the cheque and send me to jail?

Got some guy here trying to be big scary man.
Hi - just logged in today and saw your pm.

Ideally, you should take the cheque back or get a letter confirming that they will destroy the cheque and undertake not to bank the cheque. Some banks do not accept a stop payment without a police report (if you /beneficiary happens to lose the cheque)

Do you have proof that the cash payment was in lieu of that cheque? If so, there shouldn't be any problem. I hope you get this sorted soon.

Good luck and Merry Xmas

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.