British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Furniture Shopping (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/furniture-shopping-572409/)

alexalexa Nov 11th 2008 4:54 am

Furniture Shopping

Hi,

I am looking for furniture (desks, bathroom furniture), nothing special since we are just renting here and not planning to take the stuff with us when we move. My husband will be away on business next week and i want to get the furniture before I start working, so I am looking for a place that delivers, carries the stuff up and assembles the parts together if necessary. I'd like a quick and reasonably priced delivery... Any ideas where I should go?

Thank you.

Ethos83 Nov 11th 2008 4:59 am

Re: Furniture Shopping

Do what most expats in Dubai do:

Have a nice car, a nice flat/villa, and cheap furniture from Ikea.

Ikea in Festival City will have everything you need. By the way, don't even bother looking for a few nice Arabic/Persian rugs as they are vastly overpriced in this country.

Originally Posted by alexalexa (Post 6960945)
Hi,

I am looking for furniture (desks, bathroom furniture), nothing special since we are just renting here and not planning to take the stuff with us when we move. My husband will be away on business next week and i want to get the furniture before I start working, so I am looking for a place that delivers, carries the stuff up and assembles the parts together if necessary. I'd like a quick and reasonably priced delivery... Any ideas where I should go?

Thank you.

Shadya Nov 11th 2008 5:01 am

It might help if you had indicated where you are...Abu Dhabi, Rhiyadh, Doha, Muscat, Dubai? If the latter, maybe Sharjah is the place to go. Ask Spugsy.

alexalexa Nov 11th 2008 5:08 am

sorry, stupid me. I am in Dubai. My first thought was Ikea too, i was told by somebody that they don't deliver for 6 weeks though. There is no phone number to call, so I wrote them an email about their delivery dates and still waiting for replies.

Kim67 Nov 11th 2008 5:20 am

Originally Posted by alexalexa (Post 6960966)
sorry, stupid me. I am in Dubai. My first thought was Ikea too, i was told by somebody that they don't deliver for 6 weeks though. There is no phone number to call, so I wrote them an email about their delivery dates and still waiting for replies.

I went and got some office furniture from them the other day. I was in and out of there within an hour. I just wrote down the numbers of the stuff I wanted and took it to the self serve area. One of the Ikea staff grabbed a trolley and threw on what i wanted, wheeled it to the counter, another guy took it to my car and loaded it in for me, no dramas at all. The stuff was in flat packs but must have been very simple to put together because my husband had it done before I got home from school (and believe me he's no handyman). So maybe you can get the basics in flat packs and wait for delivery of the bulkier items. Home Centre at the Mall of the Emirates is also good for shower curtains/rods, curtains/rods, cheap beds etc.

Hello.Kitty Nov 11th 2008 5:22 am

Originally Posted by alexalexa (Post 6960966)

we found that Ikea isn't all that cheap - or rather the likes of Homecentre and TepeHome (both in MotE) are just as cheap - and both deliver and assemble and *take away the packaging*!

The stuff in those two are generally pretty cheap'n'cheerful, but you can get solid rubberwood instead of MDF and quite frankly, the Ikea stuff looks far cheaper than I remembered from back home!

Spugsy Nov 11th 2008 6:09 am

Originally Posted by Kim67 (Post 6960983)
I went and got some office furniture from them the other day. I was in and out of there within an hour. I just wrote down the numbers of the stuff I wanted and took it to the self serve area. One of the Ikea staff grabbed a trolley and threw on what i wanted, wheeled it to the counter, another guy took it to my car and loaded it in for me, no dramas at all. The stuff was in flat packs but must have been very simple to put together because my husband had it done before I got home from school (and believe me he's no handyman). So maybe you can get the basics in flat packs and wait for delivery of the bulkier items. Home Centre at the Mall of the Emirates is also good for shower curtains/rods, curtains/rods, cheap beds etc.

Ikea's rubbishthough to be honest, yeah its handy and you can get load sof stuff but it doesn't last, we got a sofa for AED 3,500 and to honest its crap, falling apart after 5 months, wish we'd gone the whole hig and bought something really nice,

Go to luckies in Sharjah for lovely (and pretty cheap) wooden furniture. Why live somewhere with crap furniture? Even if its for a few years? You still have to live there.

Kim67 Nov 11th 2008 6:34 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 6961044)
Ikea's rubbishthough to be honest, yeah its handy and you can get load sof stuff but it doesn't last, we got a sofa for AED 3,500 and to honest its crap, falling apart after 5 months, wish we'd gone the whole hig and bought something really nice,

Go to luckies in Sharjah for lovely (and pretty cheap) wooden furniture. Why live somewhere with crap furniture? Even if its for a few years? You still have to live there.

We bought a 40 foot container with us so we only needed the cheap crappy office stuff for my husband's co-worker. The only other time I bought Ikea stuff was probably 20 years ago when I moved into my first house as a youngster. Also cheap curtains and stuff for the new villa don't need to last long, we won't be taking them with us when we leave (and if they don't unblock my toilets permanently soon, that'll be next week!!)

I'm off to Sharjah for the first time on Friday for my son's aussie rules footy match so I might check out your Luckies while I'm there. Anything else worth seeing?

Bambi in Abu Dhabi Nov 11th 2008 6:36 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 6961044)

I agree, Spugsy. I find the idea of a house full of Ikea utterly soul destroying. Luckies has nice stuff, as does The One, neither of which are that expensive.

Spugsy Nov 11th 2008 7:17 am

Originally Posted by Bambi in Abu Dhabi (Post 6961078)
I agree, Spugsy. I find the idea of a house full of Ikea utterly soul destroying. Luckies has nice stuff, as does The One, neither of which are that expensive.

yeah top floor at MoE, we bought the most bloody gorgeous bed from there, cost AED7000 which wasn't too bad at all, we got blackout blinds and a few bits and pieces, plates and stuff from IKEA, but that sofa is going in the bin after christmas when we buy a lovely distressed leather sofa and chair we saw at MoE, expensive but if we're here for another 2 years at least it'll br worth it.

Spugsy Nov 11th 2008 7:19 am

Originally Posted by Kim67 (Post 6961076)
We bought a 40 foot container with us so we only needed the cheap crappy office stuff for my husband's co-worker. The only other time I bought Ikea stuff was probably 20 years ago when I moved into my first house as a youngster. Also cheap curtains and stuff for the new villa don't need to last long, we won't be taking them with us when we leave (and if they don't unblock my toilets permanently soon, that'll be next week!!)

I'm off to Sharjah for the first time on Friday for my son's aussie rules footy match so I might check out your Luckies while I'm there. Anything else worth seeing?

definately go to luckies, deffo.

Not much else I think, Sharjah is awful, just a sandy mess..

Spugsy Nov 11th 2008 7:22 am

Originally Posted by Kim67 (Post 6961076)

Bambi in Abu Dhabi Nov 11th 2008 7:26 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 6961128)
when we buy a lovely distressed leather sofa and chair we saw at MoE, expensive but if we're here for another 2 years at least it'll br worth it.

...and you can always take it with you when you leave.

alexalexa Nov 11th 2008 7:55 am

thanks for all the advice.

Kim67 Nov 11th 2008 8:02 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 6961130)

Thanks - Luckies and footy and we're out of there then.

I know the lounges you mean, we have a brown natuzzi in the old worn leather look, we've had it for almost ten years and three kids now and still going strong. Just have to treat the leather occasionally. We've seen similar at MOE upstairs and at the Madinat and wouldn't mind buying some more pieces to match. My kids love those brown and cow hide leather bean bags at MOE - I think my husband better start making some dirhams if they're on their christmas list this year.