British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   fully furnished rentals doha (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/fully-furnished-rentals-doha-832188/)

Russ_Sarah Apr 24th 2014 11:42 pm

fully furnished rentals doha

can i ask a stupid question…

i am checking out 2 bed fully furnished and part furnished rental properties on line in doha.

i have a set relocation budget offered as part of my packaged and am wondering if there are any items that people out there wish they had brought out with them but didnt.

when i read fully furnished does that mean knives, forks, pots, pans plates tv, dvd player etc…

i read that doha works on the uk style plug. i recently splashed out on a new tv and am wondering if i should bring it out or are electrical items same price(ish) to the uk (or australia if anyone aussies on here as this is where i currently reside).

also, is it worth bringing unlocked mobile phones with us or are they cheap enough out there? and a silly question i know but what about things like christmas decorations, can you buy them out there or should i bring ours out with us?

cheers

Russ

martinbkk Apr 25th 2014 7:32 am

Re: fully furnished rentals doha

Figure the only stupid questions are the ones not asked and even if it's been asked before it's always good to see if there are changes or updates.

I've spent some time looking for a place albeit in a sort of offhand way without much enthusiasm mostly because I've been staying in a very nice hotel where everything is done, 5 minutes to work and though not as cheap as an apartment it's not expensive by Doha standards. That said I've seen a fair few now and of the places I've seen some come with everything right down to a can of mosquito spray and toilet rolls with twice weekly cleaning of the apartment as well. Others call fully furnished little more than a bed, sofa, table and tv. Seems that every possible configuration you can come up with you will find, and then some.

Can't really comment on the electrical stuff other than to say the UK style 13A outlet rules supreme in this part of the world, electric is two hundred and enough volts at 50Hz so everything pretty much works. I do think electrical items cost a bit more than some places and mobile phones (phone only) purchase is also slightly more, circa 10%, than I would expect to pay.

As for the Xmas decos, hmm. Couldn't say.

Oh, just a ps. For every 100 apartments you find online 99 will be either gone, not available, or non existent. Better to just swamp the various agents and hope for some luck or get out and do the legwork on actual places. And yes, like many will tell you, ya gotta be here.

primularossa Apr 26th 2014 2:13 pm

[QUOTE=Russ_Sarah;11233319]can i ask a stupid question…
and a silly question i know but what about things like christmas decorations, can you buy them out there or should i bring ours out with us?

I would not bring them anyway (too bulky) and, in case there it is not possible to find them, I would use my fantasy to make my own ones using ribbons, coloured paper and so on. When I was a kid I have learned how to make snow flakes using a white sheet of paper and scissors.... I'm sure there are a lot of web sites with instructions and suggestions about how to make Xmas decorations....and maybe kids will enjoy to make their ones and will be proud of their own kraftworks!! :-)

Crewegirl Apr 27th 2014 4:12 am

Bring your Christmas decorations.....we have ikea but not always what you want and they do sell them in the supermarkets but they are a step back to the 80's.
If a container is part of your package then fill it and put in a box or two of all your favourite toiletries as you may find some impossible to find here. TV etc are cheaper here than in the UK. You can buy most things here but it's just the odd one or two bits you can't.
Good luck