Freedom Of Speech

Old Feb 26th 2006, 12:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Singlemom is a glorious beacon of lightSinglemom is a glorious beacon of lightSinglemom is a glorious beacon of lightSinglemom is a glorious beacon of lightSinglemom is a glorious beacon of lightSinglemom is a glorious beacon of lightSinglemom is a glorious beacon of lightSinglemom is a glorious beacon of lightSinglemom is a glorious beacon of lightSinglemom is a glorious beacon of lightSinglemom is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Freedom Of Speech

Censorship by US Gov.

http://www.newswithviews.com/NWVexcl...exclusive1.htm
Old Feb 26th 2006, 1:09 pm
Banned

CasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarethR
And I have to say, the fact that you yourself were foolish enough to believe the myth does rather point up how little you know about Europeans, and Scandinavians in particular.

I don't know; I dont know who to believe and who not to believe.

But i trust my instinct/common sense thats its not Banned!

Actually I knew that its not banned. The reason i argued with you is that simply becoz I dont want someone debunk my post.

Now that i revealed what is inside me;

BUT i want to be in the mainstream just to be like everyone else, Ignorant, dumb and stupid!

so i will come back again with more links to say that its BANNED.
Old Feb 26th 2006, 1:33 pm
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CasaNova
Actually I knew that its not banned. The reason i argued with you is that simply becoz I dont want someone debunk my post.
Of course. It all makes sense now...
Old Feb 26th 2006, 1:42 pm
W10

So to sum up this ridiculous argument.

In the Middle East - very little freedom of speech

In the USA - Plenty of freedom of speech but it is not total

(insert various ideological and philosophical musings and quotations as to why true freedom of expression is impossible in a modern society)

Or in other words - one society which has (in theory) a free media, is perfectly entitled to criticise another society which has a completely restricted media. If the only recourse is to point to isolated incidents which barely disprove the point then there is no real argument.

There are a billion valid things which arabs/leftists (I see myself as left leaning social democrat by the way) etc can criticise America for. Freedom of expression is pretty much a non-starter though.

Old Feb 27th 2006, 5:02 am
TA5
Banned (Always Correct)

TA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond repute

Here you Go:

Below is a link if anyone buys any controversial books in USA the address and the details of the buyer will have to be reported to the Police, read the link there are more appaling laws and bla bla bla!

Reporting of Book Buyers

Hmmmmm

As the Clinton Administration's second term ended in 2000, evidence of its domestic human rights legacy was scant. The country made little progress in embracing international human rights standards at home. ... As in previous years, serious human rights violations were ... human rights violations also included violations of workers' rights, discrimination ...

Dont get me wrong i am not trying to say that Middle east is a champion in it! - but you dont try to tell me that USA is a saint.
Ummm...if you read the first one right, it actually upholds the privacy of people who buy controversial books. Thanks for the backup though.

Don't see what he last paragraph has anything to do with freedom of speech.
Old Feb 27th 2006, 5:05 am
TA5
Banned (Always Correct)

TA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10
So to sum up this ridiculous argument.

In the Middle East - very little freedom of speech

In the USA - Plenty of freedom of speech but it is not total

(insert various ideological and philosophical musings and quotations as to why true freedom of expression is impossible in a modern society)

Or in other words - one society which has (in theory) a free media, is perfectly entitled to criticise another society which has a completely restricted media. If the only recourse is to point to isolated incidents which barely disprove the point then there is no real argument.

There are a billion valid things which arabs/leftists (I see myself as left leaning social democrat by the way) etc can criticise America for. Freedom of expression is pretty much a non-starter though.

Great post. Right on the nail, it's pretty hard to have 100% bulletproof freedom of speech, as the UK learned when that cleric abu hamza was preaching hate sermons on London Streets. There are a few, very few, instances where absolute freedom of speech goes against the greater good of a country's interests.
Old Feb 27th 2006, 5:36 am
Banned

CasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TA5
Don't see what he last paragraph has anything to do with freedom of speech.

human rights violation=violation of freedom
Old Feb 27th 2006, 5:45 am
W10

human rights violation=violation of freedom
No human rights violations going on here either then guv'nor...

This particular strand of the argument is a lot like listening to Hitler telling Stalin that he's a nasty piece of work.

Old Feb 27th 2006, 5:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Calgarian is just really niceCalgarian is just really niceCalgarian is just really niceCalgarian is just really niceCalgarian is just really niceCalgarian is just really niceCalgarian is just really niceCalgarian is just really niceCalgarian is just really niceCalgarian is just really niceCalgarian is just really nice

Holy cr*p,

All I asked was do u know any books that were banned and I had to read 2 pages...come I am at work here

Khan
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 8:54 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

From the Arab Times early last month:

An American professor at Dubai’s Zayed University was fired after she distributed cartoons depicting Prophet Mohammed out of “respect” for freedom of expression, the local press reported Wednesday. The United Arab Emirates Minister of Education, Sheikh Nahyan bin Mubarak Al-Nahyan, also chancellor of the university, sacked Claudi Keepoz, saying her behaviour “has nothing to do with the freedom of expression.” Keepoz had reportedly told her female students on Saturday that “we should respect this freedom,” as she distributed the cartoons, which have caused an uproar among world’s Muslims.

A text message spread the news of her act. “She accused Muslims of being narrow-minded and intolerant of others’ opinions,” it said. “Could you believe this to be happening in the United Arab Emirates?” “How long are we going to continue to glorify expatriates?” the message asked, referring to the hundreds of thousands of foreign workers who have provided the backbone for economic development in the Gulf state. One student’s mother expressed satisfaction over the sacking. “I was about to go to the university myself to punish her... It is halal (permitted in Islam) to kill her,” she told AFP, requesting anonymity.

At least one Emirati mother thinks it fine to murder people for showing irreverent cartoons. If she can say it fine to murder for cartoons imagine how pissed off she would be if someone does't cut her up in traffic...
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 1:45 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
From the Arab Times early last month:

At least one Emirati mother thinks it fine to murder people for showing irreverent cartoons. If she can say it fine to murder for cartoons imagine how pissed off she would be if someone does't cut her up in traffic...

I just cant believe it that she was fired from Job!!! **** she should have been fired by a Gun.
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 2:31 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

I just cant believe it that she was fired from Job!!! **** she should have been fired by a Gun.

Interesting...calling for the murder of someone because they have a different opinion.

Cave ab homine unius libri - Beware of anyone who has just one book.