Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Found work but is it completely illegal!?!

Found work but is it completely illegal!?!

Old Jul 28th 2008, 5:40 am
BE Enthusiast

MrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond repute
Default Found work but is it completely illegal!?!

Signed the contract, looking forward to working for an international company......

I ask, my visa is still with immigration due to the new changes... what will happen regarding my working visa/labour card?

Im told, you are on your husbands visa, you are here as a spouce, dont worry about it we will just keep it like that. We are in the freezone so its not really important and if we know we are due a visit from immigration then you will get the day off.

There are a few of our employees are in the same boat.

I say, okay?

I can only gather it is totally illegal..... which means my husband cant tell his work i have found work.... but also means if i want to leave i dont have to give them the three months notice they want as in effect i actually dont work for them.....

Oh and does anyone know how easy it is to fly stuff over on cargo baring in mind the original airway bill is in the UK! How do you collect from customs?

Ta muchy
Old Jul 28th 2008, 5:50 am
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Found work but is it completely illegal!?!

what if you have an accident at your work? or if they totally rip you off...i would tread carefully..
Old Jul 28th 2008, 6:58 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

If you are on your husband's visa, you can still work legally provided he has written a no objection letter and the employer provides a Labour Card. Without that you are illegal.
Old Jul 28th 2008, 7:03 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
If you are on your husband's visa, you can still work legally provided he has written a no objection letter and the employer provides a Labour Card. Without that you are illegal.
was told exactly that 4 yrs ago by the ministry of labour. Although god alone knows what the rules are now
Old Jul 28th 2008, 9:12 am
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

You still need a Labour Card which the Co should provide.It only costs 1200Dhs for s'one on spouse's visa.See link below in particular : Housewives working.
As regards Period of Notice'???- of no consequence. In the scenario you describe, there cannot possibly be a legal contract in force which binds you anyway .i.e. working w.o Labour card would rescind any purported Contract.

I agree with AA here: 'Medical Cover' .......???

Also, in the worst scenario, your husband could land in bother if he provides Co with an NOC; an implied term of which is that he has given his permission for you to work 'legally' on his Sponsorship.The assumption is he has checked the conditions of employ you have been offered.

hth.
http://www.gulfnews.com/uaessentials...ide/index.html