Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Foreigners Seeking Work in Dubai

Foreigners Seeking Work in Dubai

Old Apr 19th 2005, 5:07 pm
Just Joined

kael is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Foreigners Seeking Work in Dubai

While I've seen similar threads throughout the forum, most appear to be closed.

What I'm seeking is feedback by those people who sought out a recruiter for work in Dubai, while living in their home country. Myself, I'm in Vancouver, Canada, highly qualified, but trying to filter out a good recruiter company from the sea of the available ones. I had been looking at http://www.****************/ , but I noticed someone advised against it - any reasons why?

My question is,

1. Do many companies in Dubai hire professionals who are stilll in their home land. How does this process work? If the company is interested, do the fly you out to meet them, or is a case of you have to be in the dubai to even stand a chance?
From what I've read, on a professional level there are companies in Dubai willing to go through the process of relocating a foreigner to Dubai for the job.

2. Can someone who went through this process outline the pro's and con's of their experience and what they would do different?

3. Are the many, if any, Canadians working abroad in Dubai?

Thanks all. Much appreciated

(yes - I'm not British, I'm Canadian)

[email protected]
Old Apr 19th 2005, 7:50 pm
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Foreigners Seeking Work in Dubai

Originally Posted by kael

What I'm seeking is feedback by those people who sought out a recruiter for work in Dubai, while living in their home country. Myself, I'm in Vancouver, Canada, highly qualified, but trying to filter out a good recruiter company from the sea of the available ones. I had been looking at http://www.****************/ , but I noticed someone advised against it - any reasons why?

My question is,

1. Do many companies in Dubai hire professionals who are stilll in their home land. How does this process work? If the company is interested, do the fly you out to meet them, or is a case of you have to be in the dubai to even stand a chance?
From what I've read, on a professional level there are companies in Dubai willing to go through the process of relocating a foreigner to Dubai for the job.

2. Can someone who went through this process outline the pro's and con's of their experience and what they would do different?

3. Are the many, if any, Canadians working abroad in Dubai?

Thanks all. Much appreciated

(yes - I'm not British, I'm Canadian)

[email protected]
hello kael.

welcome to the forum.

1) you have read correctly...... some companies relocate u, some hire u in dubai, some get u through agencies.

2) cant help u there..... am an MSc. student, so i am technically unemployed, but not for much longer, i hope! LOL

3) Yeah, course there are! its dubai!

Hope u enjoy the forum! Feel free to send me a PM (private message) or an e-mail if u have any specific q's. Do also look through the FAQ's and feel free to post any more questions u have.

Oracle out. LOL
Old Apr 20th 2005, 1:35 am
Forum Regular

jagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of light

Hey, What is that "Oracle out"

Originally Posted by Face81
hello kael.

welcome to the forum.

1) you have read correctly...... some companies relocate u, some hire u in dubai, some get u through agencies.

2) cant help u there..... am an MSc. student, so i am technically unemployed, but not for much longer, i hope! LOL

3) Yeah, course there are! its dubai!

Hope u enjoy the forum! Feel free to send me a PM (private message) or an e-mail if u have any specific q's. Do also look through the FAQ's and feel free to post any more questions u have.

Oracle out. LOL
Old Apr 20th 2005, 2:35 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Well if you've read the faq's, you know why that agency is a bad idea...and a quick search here will show you more stories as to why not to use it.

But with anything, just reading peoples stories, it's not the employee's market anymore, there's a wealth of people already there, loads from asia that are highly qualified and work for peanuts.
You can get hired from out of country just like with any place, but your chances are greater if they know your serious and are able to be seen in person....but as more people head over for a holiday, this too becomes difficult, so basically you have to offer something special to the employer such as exceptional skills and experiences, or even better, a client list that you could bring to them.
As for Canadians out there, there were a couple from this forum that were looking into it and heading over.
Old Apr 20th 2005, 6:35 am
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jagz
Hey, What is that "Oracle out"
hello jagz. Dont believe we have met before. welcome to the forum.

All that means is that I was terminating my statement........ sort of like what u do on walkie talkies........ was in a bit of a strange mood. heh heh
Old Apr 20th 2005, 4:28 pm
Just Joined

kael is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your reply. Where are those FAQ's as I don't see them. There is a FAQ link in the top navigation bar, but it's general FAQ on the site in general. (http://britishexpats.com/forum/faq.php) or am I missing something?

Thanks

Kael

Originally Posted by Bob
Well if you've read the faq's, you know why that agency is a bad idea...and a quick search here will show you more stories as to why not to use it.

But with anything, just reading peoples stories, it's not the employee's market anymore, there's a wealth of people already there, loads from asia that are highly qualified and work for peanuts.
You can get hired from out of country just like with any place, but your chances are greater if they know your serious and are able to be seen in person....but as more people head over for a holiday, this too becomes difficult, so basically you have to offer something special to the employer such as exceptional skills and experiences, or even better, a client list that you could bring to them.
As for Canadians out there, there were a couple from this forum that were looking into it and heading over.
Old Apr 20th 2005, 4:30 pm
Its all good

Fairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your reply. Where are those FAQ's as I don't see them. There is a FAQ link in the top navigation bar, but it's general FAQ on the site in general. (http://britishexpats.com/forum/faq.php?) or am I missing something?

Thanks

Kael
Hi Kael, you need to go to Middle East Forum first and there is two threads at the top of the list of FAQ specifically for Dubai
Old Apr 20th 2005, 4:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Palm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nice

Thanks for your reply. Where are those FAQ's as I don't see them. There is a FAQ link in the top navigation bar, but it's general FAQ on the site in general. (http://britishexpats.com/forum/faq.php?) or am I missing something?

Thanks

Kael

Sorry, yes you are missing something. The first two lines amongst the threads highlighted in RED READ ME are the once you need to look at.
Old Apr 20th 2005, 4:31 pm
Its all good

Fairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Palm Tree
Sorry, yes you are missing something. The first two lines amongst the threads highlighted in RED READ ME are the once you need to look at.
Great minds think alike .......... eh PT
Old Apr 20th 2005, 4:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Palm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nice

Originally Posted by Fairydust
Great minds think alike .......... eh PT
I feel honoured having my mind compared to yours. Yes, what a coincidence.
Old Apr 20th 2005, 4:54 pm
Its all good

He he
Old Apr 20th 2005, 4:59 pm
Trust Your Instincts.....

sassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to behold

:scared: :scared: :scared:
Old Apr 20th 2005, 5:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sassy
:scared: :scared: :scared:
Hi !

What's with the scary faces. Something I should know?
Old Apr 20th 2005, 5:03 pm
Its all good

Hi !

What's with the scary faces. Something I should know?
Nothing its just get at Angela day