Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Foreign (car) driving licence for KSA?

Foreign (car) driving licence for KSA?

Old Jan 15th 2014, 4:34 am
Forum Regular

magnification is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Foreign (car) driving licence for KSA?

My UK licence became invalid (expired) so I got a document from DVLC to prove I had passed the Driving test. This then gave me the right, whilst in Belgium, to claim a Belgian licence immediately.
In Saudi, rather than do the KSA test, can I use an updated DVLC document and swap it for a Saudi licence?
I have no formal links to UK or Belgium now.
Old Jan 15th 2014, 6:53 am
Forum Regular

Backinthesand has a brilliant futureBackinthesand has a brilliant futureBackinthesand has a brilliant futureBackinthesand has a brilliant futureBackinthesand has a brilliant futureBackinthesand has a brilliant futureBackinthesand has a brilliant future
Default Re: Foreign (car) driving licence for KSA?

Originally Posted by magnification
My UK licence became invalid (expired) so I got a document from DVLC to prove I had passed the Driving test. This then gave me the right, whilst in Belgium, to claim a Belgian licence immediately.
In Saudi, rather than do the KSA test, can I use an updated DVLC document and swap it for a Saudi licence?
I have no formal links to UK or Belgium now.
Not a chance I don't think, a friend could not use his old paper style driving licence to switch for a KSA one, had to take a test in Saudi. However, if you have a photo licence (British) then the validity is good until you're 70 the only expiry date is hidden by the hologram you may possibly get away with that?
Old Jan 15th 2014, 7:18 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

If you still have a copy of the licence and a friendly saudi PRO or guy who looks after licences for expats in your company then have a word with him. A hundred riyals placed by him in the right hands at the licence department will get you a Saudi licence with no issues.
Old Jan 15th 2014, 8:18 am
Forum Regular

OK. I'll try my old photocopy of my UK licence.
Thanks.
Guess I'll still need a translation of it into Arabic, (if the official procedure
is followed).
Old Jan 15th 2014, 10:06 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

OK. I'll try my old photocopy of my UK licence.
Thanks.
Guess I'll still need a translation of it into Arabic, (if the official procedure
is followed).
You can get the translation done in the centre itself, well at least in Riyadh anyhow. All you need is your own licence usually, they will do the photos, translation etc.
You will need a Saudi with you to get this to work, otherwise prepare to face the 'efficiency' of the KSA civil service.
Old Jan 15th 2014, 11:00 am
Forum Regular

Backinthesand has a brilliant futureBackinthesand has a brilliant futureBackinthesand has a brilliant futureBackinthesand has a brilliant futureBackinthesand has a brilliant futureBackinthesand has a brilliant futureBackinthesand has a brilliant future

Do you still have your Belgian licence? Should not be a problem if you do.
Old Jan 15th 2014, 12:56 pm
Forum Regular

Still got Belgian licence but I think one site mentioned that German, USA & UK licences were more advantageous as you merely swap for a KSA licence.

All EU licences should be equally accepted. But...
??
Old Jan 16th 2014, 4:59 am
Off Topic

northbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nice

Still got Belgian licence but I think one site mentioned that German, USA & UK licences were more advantageous as you merely swap for a KSA licence.

All EU licences should be equally accepted. But...
??
They do if they are credit-card style
Old Jan 16th 2014, 11:15 am
Forum Regular

bodieanddoyle is an unknown quantity at this point

Nope, you don't just swap. But you could get away with just paying SR100... At most, you'll have to sit in a car with 3 other people whilst the learner driver goes forward then backwards 100 feet. End. Honestly, you don't need driving skills out here. A sense of adventure, experience of dodgems and eyes in the back and the sides of your head is all you need. Plus a very good sense of humour and a lack of courtesy for any other driver. Job done!