Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Forced to work notice period in Dubai after resigning?? Any ideas

Forced to work notice period in Dubai after resigning?? Any ideas

Old Feb 21st 2009, 4:43 pm
Forum Regular

lofty1 has a spectacular aura aboutlofty1 has a spectacular aura aboutlofty1 has a spectacular aura about
Default Forced to work notice period in Dubai after resigning?? Any ideas

Dear All

I quit my job in Dubai recently and have a good job in the UK to go back to. I expected a concession on my notice period and to be paid my dues without having to sit round doing nothing for 3 months (and suffering Dubai living costs)

They have not taken the same view (perhaps not unsurprisingly). I would like to understand what leverage i have left, especially given the option is skipping is not totally dismissed yet!

I understand the following:

The employer will suffer if the visa isn't properly cancelled
I can be very disruptive during notice period
I can plead desperation etc

Anything else which they may be concerned with that I could tactfully threaten them with??

Any help very much appreciated!!
Old Feb 21st 2009, 6:47 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Forced to work notice period in Dubai after resigning?? Any ideas

er... short of taking it as unpaid holiday, no. That's what a notice period is for - it works both ways. Sorry.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 7:22 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty
er... short of taking it as unpaid holiday, no. That's what a notice period is for - it works both ways. Sorry.
agree totally
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 7:28 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by commander
agree totally
Yes but surely that only applies if the Dubai Employers are playing ball and pay all the terminal benefits due. As such benevolesce is sadly lacking right now, do your worst.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 8:13 am
Account Closed

Tillybean is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lofty1
Dear All

I quit my job in Dubai recently and have a good job in the UK to go back to. I expected a concession on my notice period and to be paid my dues without having to sit round doing nothing for 3 months (and suffering Dubai living costs)

They have not taken the same view (perhaps not unsurprisingly). I would like to understand what leverage i have left, especially given the option is skipping is not totally dismissed yet!

Anything else which they may be concerned with that I could tactfully threaten them with??

Am I missing something? Why would you expect a concession? Was the notice period laid out in your original contract? I dont think you have any leverage unless your current employers wish to release you.

Have you put forward your argument : lack of work, inability to engage on new projects, any costs that they may incur.

Are you in work accommodation? If so (and if not I guess) are they able to recoup any loss if they chose to end the lease early?? If they let you go early, this clearly sets a precedent for everyone else.

And I really dont understand, unless they have acted completely and utterly awfully, why you would want to cause mayhem just because you dont want to work your contracted notice. This surely is unprofessional at best and childish at worst.

Notice is definitely a two-way street.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

ssuh has much to be proud ofssuh has much to be proud ofssuh has much to be proud ofssuh has much to be proud ofssuh has much to be proud ofssuh has much to be proud ofssuh has much to be proud ofssuh has much to be proud ofssuh has much to be proud ofssuh has much to be proud ofssuh has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lofty1
Dear All

I am staggered!

You expected a concession....why?
Threats such as:
Skipping is not out of the question...
The employer will suffer if....
I can be very disruptive....

Employers have been getting a hard time on here lately and in many instances for very good reasons....but, assuming you have no other reason to try and make life as difficult for your employer as you can possibly muster than simply wanting to get outa here as quickly as possible, then your attitude sucks totally.

I am an employer who, like many, is struggling to survive in the current climate....I cannot really voice what I really think of your attitude as this is a public forum... suffice to say let's hope your notice period isn't too long and you bugger off as quickly as possible!
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 1:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ssuh
I am staggered!

You expected a concession....why?
Threats such as:
Skipping is not out of the question...
The employer will suffer if....
I can be very disruptive....

Employers have been getting a hard time on here lately and in many instances for very good reasons....but, assuming you have no other reason to try and make life as difficult for your employer as you can possibly muster than simply wanting to get outa here as quickly as possible, then your attitude sucks totally.

I am an employer who, like many, is struggling to survive in the current climate....I cannot really voice what I really think of your attitude as this is a public forum... suffice to say let's hope your notice period isn't too long and you bugger off as quickly as possible!
yeah, spot on...you do have to wonder at some people...

MM, xx