British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Football in Abu Dhabi (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/football-abu-dhabi-563042/)

Ronnie Biggs Sep 22nd 2008 7:30 pm

Football in Abu Dhabi
 
Quick question for you -- does anyone know of any football teams or regular kickabouts going on in Abu Dhabi? I've been over here for a few months and need a run around before the full "expat spread" materialises and I start fitting in well at 49ers. :huh:

If that draws a blank does anyone know anywhere (in Dubai I guess) where you can learn to surf???

Cheers for any infinite knowledge....

Spugsy Sep 22nd 2008 7:40 pm

Re: Football in Abu Dhabi
 

Originally Posted by Ronnie Biggs (Post 6809234)
Quick question for you -- does anyone know of any football teams or regular kickabouts going on in Abu Dhabi? I've been over here for a few months and need a run around before the full "expat spread" materialises and I start fitting in well at 49ers. :huh:

If that draws a blank does anyone know anywhere (in Dubai I guess) where you can learn to surf???

Cheers for any infinite knowledge....

I know where you can play footy in Dubai, if thats any help?

Ronnie Biggs Sep 22nd 2008 8:26 pm

Re: Football in Abu Dhabi
 

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 6809258)
I know where you can play footy in Dubai, if thats any help?

Yeah it might do mate, I live in Khalifa City and for a bit of what I was used to in the UK (man-time Saturdays) I could definitely cope with the drive. The hoardes of "shopping mall men" carrying thousand yard stares and holding handbags while the missus trys on another pair of jeans scare the shit out of me.....

arbroath_abroad Sep 23rd 2008 4:02 am

Re: Football in Abu Dhabi
 

Originally Posted by Ronnie Biggs (Post 6809419)
and holding handbags while the missus trys on another pair of jeans scare the shit out of me.....

christ you have just described me:):)

Spugsy Sep 23rd 2008 4:29 am

Re: Football in Abu Dhabi
 

Originally Posted by Ronnie Biggs (Post 6809419)
Yeah it might do mate, I live in Khalifa City and for a bit of what I was used to in the UK (man-time Saturdays) I could definitely cope with the drive. The hoardes of "shopping mall men" carrying thousand yard stares and holding handbags while the missus trys on another pair of jeans scare the shit out of me.....

I play at safa park at 4.30 on a friday, its decent, just a load of us tunr up, pick teams and play,

literally jumpers for goalposts...

Madam Medusa Sep 23rd 2008 4:40 am

Re: Football in Abu Dhabi
 

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 6810305)
literally jumpers for goalposts...

oh bless...does your mum stand on the sideline with oranges for half time...

MM, xx

Spugsy Sep 23rd 2008 5:10 am

Re: Football in Abu Dhabi
 

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 6810319)
oh bless...does your mum stand on the sideline with oranges for half time...

MM, xx

well bearing in mind your hubby is joining our team I'm expecting YOU to come and bring the oranges pet....

Madam Medusa Sep 23rd 2008 5:54 am

Re: Football in Abu Dhabi
 

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 6810360)
well bearing in mind your hubby is joining our team I'm expecting YOU to come and bring the oranges pet....

dream on...

MM, xx

busybee2 Sep 23rd 2008 7:38 am

Re: Football in Abu Dhabi
 
there was footie on a sunday and tuesday i think at al ghazal golf club, run by esports either give them a ring or look them up on the web.

Ronnie Biggs Sep 23rd 2008 8:41 am

Re: Football in Abu Dhabi
 

Originally Posted by busybee2 (Post 6810609)
there was footie on a sunday and tuesday i think at al ghazal golf club, run by esports either give them a ring or look them up on the web.

Cheers for the tip- I think those courses are for children though and I'm a big boy now. Getting bigger round the waist as we speak.

Would love to be proved wrong but is all the good stuff in Dubai and not Abu Dhabi?? It seems like there are bugger all sports available in the nation's capital while Dubai has everything a sporty, active person could wish for. Is Abu Dhabi the home of the overweight expat and The (British) Club the home of the overweight, 1970's Britain stereotype? ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ :confused:

busybee2 Sep 23rd 2008 11:10 am

Re: Football in Abu Dhabi
 
no not for children, they did it for big people as well.

arbroath_abroad Sep 23rd 2008 11:44 am

Re: Football in Abu Dhabi
 

Is Abu Dhabi the home of the overweight expat and The (British) Club the home of the overweight, 1970's Britain stereotype? ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
http://i33.tinypic.com/b7nv5t.jpg

Ronnie Biggs Sep 23rd 2008 12:20 pm

Re: Football in Abu Dhabi
 

Originally Posted by arbroath_abroad (Post 6811374)

Ahhh balls. Will have to activate Plan B and do more driving to Dubai for sporting pursuits I guess....

lulu2 Sep 23rd 2008 1:14 pm

Re: Football in Abu Dhabi
 
Hi Ronnie ...
(Gotta ask ... any relation to the Great Train Robber??? Ha ha, I ask,because my maiden name was Biggs and I got asked that ALL the time!!):p
My daughter's boyfriend plays rugby at the Al Ghazal Golf Course, I am not sure about soccer ... will try to find out.
Send me a pm with your email and I will get my daughter to contact you.


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:43 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.