British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Flying Cats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/flying-cats-567261/)

twinkle-star Oct 15th 2008 6:01 am

Flying Cats

No not out the window.....:mad:

Has anyone had experience of their cat flying?
As in transporting them on a plane to the UK
or vise versa. I think the british vets in Abu do it all for you not sure about airlines tho.

Are the cats ok by the end of the long flight or is it very traumatic for them?

typical Oct 15th 2008 9:56 am

Re: Flying Cats

If you want to get them in on the Pet Travel Scheme, there are only certain routes they're allowed to take:

Abu Dhabi - London Heathrow
British Airways World Cargo, Gulf Air

Al Ain - London Gatwick
Thomsonfly (accompanied animals only)

Dubai - London Gatwick
Emirates Sky Cargo*

Dubai - London Heathrow
British Airways World Cargo, Emirates Sky Cargo, Virgin Atlantic Airways

Dubai - Manchester
Emirates Sky Cargo (accompanied animals only)

See http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quar...pets/index.htm for far more info.

Spugsy Oct 15th 2008 11:02 am

Originally Posted by typical (Post 6876624)
If you want to get them in on the Pet Travel Scheme, there are only certain routes they're allowed to take:

Abu Dhabi - London Heathrow
British Airways World Cargo, Gulf Air

Al Ain - London Gatwick
Thomsonfly (accompanied animals only)

Dubai - London Gatwick
Emirates Sky Cargo*

Dubai - London Heathrow
British Airways World Cargo, Emirates Sky Cargo, Virgin Atlantic Airways

Dubai - Manchester
Emirates Sky Cargo (accompanied animals only)

See http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quar...pets/index.htm for far more info.

whilst we're on it, anyone have any ideas of my installing some sort of catflsp or way of Santi getting in and out without me opening the door?

We have big glass doors, I remember someone in Oz who had this sort of tunnel thing that went out of the window....anyone?

lionheart Oct 15th 2008 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 6876886)
whilst we're on it, anyone have any ideas of my installing some sort of catflsp or way of Santi getting in and out without me opening the door?

We have big glass doors, I remember someone in Oz who had this sort of tunnel thing that went out of the window....anyone?

Good grief, let the bastard wait outside for you to open the door. Next you will be buying it tins of Whiskas and other extravaganzas.

Spugsy Oct 15th 2008 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 6877480)
Good grief, let the bastard wait outside for you to open the door. Next you will be buying it tins of Whiskas and other extravaganzas.

he's wakes me up at 4am to get outside, I want him to be able to get out so I can sleep.

Border Reiver Oct 16th 2008 5:52 pm

Twinkle,

I'm just about to dispatch a much loved but intellectually challenged Himalayan back to the UK (Dubai-Heathrow, British Airways). Not all airlines will take cats with "flat" faces like Persians as they worry about them not being able to breathe properly at altitude. I left all the arrangements to Dubai Kennels and Cattery. Probably not the cheapest option (about 8,000Dhs- he could have just had a business class ticket for that!) but they are very professional and provide a door to door service.

I'll let you know how he gets on when I get back from the UK at the start of November.

twinkle-star Oct 17th 2008 4:34 am

Originally Posted by Border Reiver (Post 6882514)
Twinkle,

I'm just about to dispatch a much loved but intellectually challenged Himalayan back to the UK (Dubai-Heathrow, British Airways). Not all airlines will take cats with "flat" faces like Persians as they worry about them not being able to breathe properly at altitude. I left all the arrangements to Dubai Kennels and Cattery. Probably not the cheapest option (about 8,000Dhs- he could have just had a business class ticket for that!) but they are very professional and provide a door to door service.

I'll let you know how he gets on when I get back from the UK at the start of November.

Thanks I have two to ship back it looks like!:( Unless I get a job and can stay here but then need a flat share with someone who likes cats...

Border Reiver Nov 1st 2008 11:51 am

Twinkle, and anybody else who is interested:

I've just flown a rather intellectually challenged Himalayan (bit like a Persian) back using Dubai Kennels and Cattery and British Airways. Only BA would take him because he has a flat face and some airlines worry about him being able to breathe during the flight- the hold is pressurised but it is at the same altitude as the cabin, about 7,000ft. I said he was from the Himalayas for crying out loud, 7,000ft is nothing, but they wouldn't budge.

Anyway, Dubai Kennels and Cattery collected him from our door in Dubai and a few days later we collected him from the animal reception centre at Heathrow. I expected an horrendous paper chase but in fact it only took 5 minutes and one signature. He was fine after the flight, and the 3 hour car journey Northwards. He was off his food for a couple of days but apparently that is quite normal and he was soon tucking into a tin of tuna. Apparently cats don't get jet lag so he is probably a better globe trotter than I am.

The Cattery fixed him up with a wooden carry box (not one of those wimpy plastic things) which looks like it could withstand a nuclear attack so the chances of anything happening in transit must be pretty slim.

The total cost was about 8,000Dhs. You could do it cheaper if you did it all yourself but frankly it isn't worth the grief. Much better to leave it to the experts- they will even deliver to your door in the UK for an extra couple of hundred pounds.

Charismatic Nov 1st 2008 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by twinkle-star (Post 6875940)

Have you been taking your medication? :p

Jim Smith Nov 1st 2008 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by twinkle-star (Post 6875940)
No not out the window.....:mad:

As in transporting them on a plane to the UK
or vise versa. I think the british vets in Abu do it all for you not sure about airlines tho.

Are the cats ok by the end of the long flight or is it very traumatic for them?

I am sure Dr. Wyness of the British Vetinerary Clinic, Abu Dhabi ,can answer all your questions, in fact I know he can!