Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Flight stoppover in Dubai.

Flight stoppover in Dubai.

Old Nov 3rd 2005, 7:53 am
Forum Regular

mary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant future
Default Flight stoppover in Dubai.

Hi ! Is there any locals who can give me some info?

I will be stopping over in Dubai for 24 hours on the way to the UK from Australia in May next year.

I have booked into the "Pearl Resisdence Appts" and arrive at midnight and have transfers booked.

I am a female( middleaged-no spring chicken)and street wise travelling alone.Would this be advisable?

Thanks Mary
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 8:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Border Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flight stoppover in Dubai.

As long as you don't bump into any of the people on this board you will be fine :scared:

Seriously though, Dubai is very safe and you won't have any problems. The very worst that will happen is that you will get stared at a little but it is more curiosity than aggression.
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 8:31 am
Forum Regular

mary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Border Reiver
As long as you don't bump into any of the people on this board you will be fine :scared:

Seriously though, Dubai is very safe and you won't have any problems. The very worst that will happen is that you will get stared at a little but it is more curiosity than aggression.
Thanks for your quick reply!
Do you think it would be safe for me to go shopping by myself during the day?

Are you from the Borders?
I was born in Hawick, lived in Selkirk ,Coldingham,and Gala(well travelled eh?) and my parents live in Melrose now.I live in Brisbane-Oz now.

My Mum still sends me a copy of the "Border Telegraph" and recipes from the "womens rural institute" (usually with mince involved).

I'm looking forward to my Ozzie hubbie seeing the Borders( I'm going over earlier than him).
He's never been to the UK and doesn't believe other people on the planet speak like I do!
He thinks I mean "dunny can " when I say "dinnay ken" (which means a toilet in Brisbane). He's looking forward to the scenery and pubs and meeting the folks.

I hope they still have Selkirk Bannocks and bridies and decent rolls.

Thanks again Mary
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 10:13 am
Feeling broody

alowicious_28 is a splendid one to beholdalowicious_28 is a splendid one to beholdalowicious_28 is a splendid one to beholdalowicious_28 is a splendid one to beholdalowicious_28 is a splendid one to beholdalowicious_28 is a splendid one to beholdalowicious_28 is a splendid one to beholdalowicious_28 is a splendid one to beholdalowicious_28 is a splendid one to beholdalowicious_28 is a splendid one to beholdalowicious_28 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by mary1
Thanks for your quick reply!
Do you think it would be safe for me to go shopping by myself during the day?
You will be fine shopping on your own, just don't sit in the front seat of a taxi and don't wear any low cut clothing especially if you have big boobies
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 1:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Border Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond repute

Strictly speaking, I'm a little bit too far South to be a Reiver (more Southern end of Northumberland), but I have spent a lot of time walking and cycling around the Debateable Lands, and my parents now live not too far from Carlisle. I miss the countryside, too much sand around here!
Old Nov 4th 2005, 12:39 pm
Banned

CasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond repute

I will be stopping over in Dubai for 24 hours on the way to the UK from Australia in May next year.

I have booked into the "Pearl Resisdence Appts" and arrive at midnight and have transfers booked.

I am a female( middleaged-no spring chicken)and street wise travelling alone.Would this be advisable?

Thanks Mary

It's safe but keep the CID and Police numbers on your phone in case. and rest assured they wil be their after you whistle!

remeber alot of visitors arrive here daily to this country and we don't know their past.
Old Nov 4th 2005, 1:40 pm
Premium Member

Truth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Mary
Hello MAry

You'll be fine, Dubai isn't quite the wild west.

One point - the Pearl Reisence isn't in the most salubrious area - its on the edge of the 'red light' area but well situated for the souks of Bur Dubai...... depends where you want to go and what you want to see....

Have a good trip
TS
Old Nov 4th 2005, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

Sid2 is just really niceSid2 is just really niceSid2 is just really niceSid2 is just really niceSid2 is just really niceSid2 is just really niceSid2 is just really niceSid2 is just really niceSid2 is just really niceSid2 is just really niceSid2 is just really nice

Dubai really is a very safe place ... a thousand times safer than the average Western metropolis. (In fact, the safety is quoted by many Western expats as one of the main positive aspects of life in Dubai.)

Crime is rare due to a combination of efficient policing; strong border controls; a criminal-unfriendly justice system and discreet but effective surveillance. The policemen are generally helpful and understanding, and are able to speak English.

The taxis are supervised by the Government-run Transport Corporation, which means that the details of every taxi-driver are "on-file" & there is no place for cabbies to "run and hide" if they do anything funny.

I have seen many women sitting in the front-seats in taxis in Dubai ... of course, you may sit in the back-seat, if you wish, for reasons of greater privacy.
Old Nov 4th 2005, 7:39 pm
Just Joined

calina666 has a brilliant futurecalina666 has a brilliant futurecalina666 has a brilliant futurecalina666 has a brilliant futurecalina666 has a brilliant futurecalina666 has a brilliant futurecalina666 has a brilliant future

Thanks Mary
No problem. Taxi drivers are really helpful, and they are metered - well most of them, arrange a fare first if not metered. Respect the religion, and dress appropriate. I was being collected form the beach everyday wearing shorts & vest, so can't be that bad. Evening times I wore trousers and long sleeves, as most of the places to go are in Hotels, and they have a dress code. Considering only about 9% of the people there are true locals, I don't think you will find a problem. Most of the tourists tend to be Russian - well they were in March. I'm back there next month. Most of the taxi drivers are either Pakistani, Indian or from Egypt and like to have a yap.
Old Nov 6th 2005, 8:27 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by calina666
No problem. Taxi drivers are really helpful, and they are metered - well most of them, arrange a fare first if not metered. Respect the religion, and dress appropriate. I was being collected form the beach everyday wearing shorts & vest, so can't be that bad. Evening times I wore trousers and long sleeves, as most of the places to go are in Hotels, and they have a dress code. Considering only about 9% of the people there are true locals, I don't think you will find a problem. Most of the tourists tend to be Russian - well they were in March. I'm back there next month. Most of the taxi drivers are either Pakistani, Indian or from Egypt and like to have a yap.
Thanks for all the advice everyone.I'm looking forward to my trip now!
Old Nov 6th 2005, 10:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Benson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to behold

Thanks Mary

thought I would add my 50 fils worth. Be carefull crossing the roads. Cars dont stop. Enjoy your stopover.
Old Nov 6th 2005, 12:43 pm
Banned

CasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Benson
thought I would add my 50 fils worth. Be carefull crossing the roads. Cars dont stop. Enjoy your stopover.

they stop Only if a beautiful girl wants to cross.
Old Nov 6th 2005, 12:55 pm
semarang

novita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond repute

in the UK or far east, the car will slow down when they see pedestrian want to cross, but somehow in Middle East is the other way around. They will speed up when they see you want to cross ...
Old Nov 7th 2005, 1:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud of

They do....They stopover you......
Old Nov 7th 2005, 3:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Benson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by shoushou
They do....They stopover you......
I read a letter in 7 Days recently that a guy claimed he was hit by a bus doing 100kph. He claims he was walking and had no external injuries although was aching inside. Must of been a big fella.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.