British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Flies, creepies and crawlies (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/flies-creepies-crawlies-553883/)

UKCityGent Aug 7th 2008 7:20 pm

Flies, creepies and crawlies

Hi

Silly question but my son was bugging me about it (no pun intended)

We maybe off to Kuwait (if the job offer is right) and my son is terrified of flies, creepy crawlies (im sure he gets it from the insanity of the wife !!). How is the flies situation in Kuwait ?

Neil79 Aug 8th 2008 3:34 am

Re: Flies, creepies and crawlies

http://www.roundamerica.com/images/J...ll-fly-200.jpg

...sorry!....no idea!

Eeyore Aug 8th 2008 7:33 am

If it's anything like Dubai, flies won't be much of a problem at all - we rarely see them. If you end up living in a villa, though, you'll probably find yourself well-acquainted with various other crawly things.

Our old villa in the Springs was so riddled with cracks and other minute holes (despite only being three years old) that ants seemed able to get in anywhere. Window frames and power sockets on exterior walls were popular, and no sooner had you found and blocked their latest entrance than they'd find another. The gap under the front door was also big enough (even with a draught excluder fitted) for roaches and spiders to get in. We seemed to be endlessly throwing the same big hairy spider out into the back garden.

Welivehere Aug 8th 2008 7:55 am

Funny thing lwe are the oppiste to Eeyore, we are also based in Dubai however we do not get any issues with creey things. We get the villa pest controlled every 6 months and very rarely see anything unwanted in the house.

Flies can be a problem outside in springa and autumm but nothing too overwhelming.

The scariest thing we found (and that was quite a few years ago) was scorpion drowned in the swimming pool.

Madam Medusa Aug 8th 2008 7:59 am

we don't get too many spiders, thank god, but we've had a few roaches (aaagghhhh) and a couple of geckos, which scare the shit out of me...the ants just need to be kept under constant control, little buggers...

MM, xx

Eeyore Aug 8th 2008 11:06 am

Originally Posted by Welivehere (Post 6657990)
We get the villa pest controlled every 6 months and very rarely see anything unwanted in the house

That's probably the answer, but we never thought of it. It was pest-controlled before we moved in, but that was the only time.

TBH, the only real serious annoyance was with the ants. The spiders probably kept other things down, although we did worry that the big fast hairy one might be potentially dangerous, especially for Madeleine, which is why we always threw it out whenever we found it indoors.

Geckos are great, and do a useful job of eating crawly things, but we only discovered we had one in the last few months before we moved out. A month or so back we also went through the Springs rite of passage of discovering that we had a redback, living by our carport door. I didn't really want to kill it since it had probably been there for ages and was doing us no harm, but again we worried about Madeleine, so I stuck a camera up against it, took a few photos, and then squashed it with a broom handle :(

UKCityGent Aug 8th 2008 5:55 pm

Wow thanks for that - im going to assume a similar fauna lifestle in Kuwait - it will do him good to face his fears. I got bitten by a small grass snake and love snakes now (maybe the insanity comes from me lol)

NorthernLad Aug 9th 2008 8:04 am

I'm not a fan of spiders, insects, reptiles etc... but we've had no problems here in ranches (touching wood). We do get geckos inside but we tolerate them as they enforce a strict door policy.

Only seen 1 redback so far (a friend in the springs) and no scorpions or snakes.