Reload this Page >

Flashed at 133kmph on SZR?

Flashed at 133kmph on SZR?

Old Feb 10th 2015, 6:13 am
Forum Regular

driftingaway is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Flashed at 133kmph on SZR?

Hi all,

Has anyone been flashed by a front-facing speed camera/radar on SZR doing under 140 in the 120 section?

I got a flash in the face yesterday doing 133 from one of the grey/black striped cameras about 1/3 of the way from Dubai to Abu Dhabi...

Just wondered whether it could have been faulty or whether they've lowered the 20kmph 'grace'. Also whether I can contest any fine that comes through (as 120 is the posted speed).
Old Feb 10th 2015, 6:28 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flashed at 133kmph on SZR?

Glad you got zapped. Driving at 133kph is unforgivable
Old Feb 10th 2015, 6:34 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mentalist
Glad you got zapped. Driving at 133kph is unforgivable
Really? Overtaking in the hard shoulder is unforgivable. Forcing people to change lanes by flashing lights or tailgating is unforgivable.

Driving at the same speed as other traffic (the car in front didn't get flashed doing the same speed) in the 2nd lane, 7kmph under the stated 'maximum speed limit' unforgivable? I think you're being a little hyperbolic.
Old Feb 10th 2015, 9:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Are you sure it was you? This sometimes happens and it's the guy in another lane.

Anyway - give it a week and you'll phone when the phone beeps
Old Feb 10th 2015, 9:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

it dubai or in auh? the speed limits in auh part of auh/dxb road are 140 max but 100/120 on the dxb side of it.
Old Feb 10th 2015, 9:22 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by driftingaway
Really? Overtaking in the hard shoulder is unforgivable. Forcing people to change lanes by flashing lights or tailgating is unforgivable.

Driving at the same speed as other traffic (the car in front didn't get flashed doing the same speed) in the 2nd lane, 7kmph under the stated 'maximum speed limit' unforgivable? I think you're being a little hyperbolic.
Didn't you say it was the 120 zone? So, in fact you were 13 mg over the limit, not 7 under.
Old Feb 10th 2015, 9:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Didn't you say it was the 120 zone? So, in fact you were 13 mg over the limit, not 7 under.
no... if you "do" drive in uae you will note that there is a 20kph grace period... so 120 is 140 etc etc.
Old Feb 10th 2015, 9:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

and its kph not mph!
Old Feb 10th 2015, 9:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quite often the new stick cameras look like they flash you but they arent its just the sun etc... the flash usually comes from the top of the stick.
Old Feb 10th 2015, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by busybee2
it dubai or in auh? the speed limits in auh part of auh/dxb road are 140 max but 100/120 on the dxb side of it.
Hmm, maybe it was that, then - I thought it was 140 whenever the 120 signs were out (and had seen the AUH signs saying "max 140" so presumed that continued all the way to the 100 zone in Dubai). It was night time so definitely flashed.

Oh well!
Old Feb 10th 2015, 5:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by driftingaway
Hmm, maybe it was that, then - I thought it was 140 whenever the 120 signs were out (and had seen the AUH signs saying "max 140" so presumed that continued all the way to the 100 zone in Dubai). It was night time so definitely flashed.

Oh well!
no the speed limit is definately less on the dxb bit of the road. 140 max on auh side. i have a feeling that you can do nearer to 130 in dxb and be ok but not the 20kph some of the smaller roads its much less grace period.
Old Feb 11th 2015, 8:11 am
BE Enthusiast

archie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by busybee2
no the speed limit is definately less on the dxb bit of the road. 140 max on auh side. .
That is not what my (many) colleagues who live in Dubai and commute to Abu Dhabi say. They have all told me that there is definitely a 20kph tolerance on the motorway, all the way from Dubai to Abu Dhabi. I don't know about the side roads, never asked.

The stick cameras in Abu Dhabi do seem, on occasion, to get it completely wrong - I've seen cars being flashed while moving quite slowly in heavy traffic, well below the posted limit. I've always assumed that these didn't get processed into fines...

[In fact, I've just asked a colleague who lives in Dubai & commutes here. He sets his cruise control at 137kph when the roads are not full, measured by his GPS, and does not get flashed - and he is adamant that BB's statement above is bull...]
Old Feb 11th 2015, 9:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by archie159
adamant that BB's statement above is bull...]
or current as of 2001 like the rest.

I drive Dubai bound from just after Ghantoot every day at 140km on the nose and have yet to collect a ticket.
Old Feb 11th 2015, 10:16 am
Forum Regular

I'm hoping it was a misfire. No fine has come through yet, anyway.
Old Feb 11th 2015, 3:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by archie159
That is not what my (many) colleagues who live in Dubai and commute to Abu Dhabi say. They have all told me that there is definitely a 20kph tolerance on the motorway, all the way from Dubai to Abu Dhabi. I don't know about the side roads, never asked.

The stick cameras in Abu Dhabi do seem, on occasion, to get it completely wrong - I've seen cars being flashed while moving quite slowly in heavy traffic, well below the posted limit. I've always assumed that these didn't get processed into fines...

[In fact, I've just asked a colleague who lives in Dubai & commutes here. He sets his cruise control at 137kph when the roads are not full, measured by his GPS, and does not get flashed - and he is adamant that BB's statement above is bull...]
i said in dxb the speed limit seemed to flash lower than 140.... its definately 140 in the auh side.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.