Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

First visit to Dubai

First visit to Dubai

Old Apr 16th 2007, 12:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Crash is a splendid one to beholdCrash is a splendid one to beholdCrash is a splendid one to beholdCrash is a splendid one to beholdCrash is a splendid one to beholdCrash is a splendid one to beholdCrash is a splendid one to beholdCrash is a splendid one to beholdCrash is a splendid one to beholdCrash is a splendid one to beholdCrash is a splendid one to behold
Default First visit to Dubai

Been here since Friday and have been having a great time. I was expecting most of what I have seen from all of the previous posts, but still I have been shocked by the crazy driving, I'm amazed that there are not more frequent accidents or that at least every car would be dinged. I was also surprised by pedestrians dashing across roads in heavy traffic sometimes with kids in tow.

I am staying with my brother in law who runs several high end restaurants near the city center. He has introduced me to several of his friends who are nationals, their reactions and facial expressions seem unusual to me as they sometimes seem intimidated or won't look at you directly. But they are very friendly. I was also surprised by the level of personal service you can get here, everything is taken care of by an army of personal assistants - could be just because of my brother in law's job here. Just wanted to jot down a few first impressions - I'll keep an eye out for LittleJimmy in case I spot him wondering around in that crazy wig of his
Old Apr 16th 2007, 12:53 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First visit to Dubai

Originally Posted by Crash
Been here since Friday and have been having a great time. I was expecting most of what I have seen from all of the previous posts, but still I have been shocked by the crazy driving, I'm amazed that there are not more frequent accidents or that at least every car would be dinged. I was also surprised by pedestrians dashing across roads in heavy traffic sometimes with kids in tow.

I am staying with my brother in law who runs several high end restaurants near the city center. He has introduced me to several of his friends who are nationals, their reactions and facial expressions seem unusual to me as they sometimes seem intimidated or won't look at you directly. But they are very friendly. I was also surprised by the level of personal service you can get here, everything is taken care of by an army of personal assistants - could be just because of my brother in law's job here. Just wanted to jot down a few first impressions - I'll keep an eye out for LittleJimmy in case I spot him wondering around in that crazy wig of his
You poor, deluded platypus. You are in big, big trouble. The sun will melt your brain and the malls will suck out your soul. Get on the first plane out of here NOW!
Old Apr 16th 2007, 1:04 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Crash...good to hear you are enjoying yourself! No better way to find out what Dubai is like than being here....forums are helpfull but can give a wrong impression. Hope you'll be able to see and do a few different things/places, to give you a good idea what it's all about....
Old Apr 16th 2007, 1:04 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
You poor, deluded platypus. You are in big, big trouble. The sun will melt your brain and the malls will suck out your soul. Get on the first plane out of here NOW!
and you are starting to sound like you-know-who...
Old Apr 16th 2007, 1:28 pm
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MataHari
and you are starting to sound like you-know-who...
Little Jimmy is TA5's love child
Old Apr 16th 2007, 1:29 pm
hmmmm...nice

Originally Posted by Jammy_Dodgers
nothing surprises me anymore....
Old Apr 16th 2007, 1:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Crash is a splendid one to beholdCrash is a splendid one to beholdCrash is a splendid one to beholdCrash is a splendid one to beholdCrash is a splendid one to beholdCrash is a splendid one to beholdCrash is a splendid one to beholdCrash is a splendid one to beholdCrash is a splendid one to beholdCrash is a splendid one to beholdCrash is a splendid one to behold

Actually I did spend all day Saturday and Sunday evening at the mall - which I normally hate. Saw more shocking things there such as a lady walking around with the most revealing dress, I think it only covered about a third of her body.

Someone said to not scratch too much below the surface here because you won't find much substance, so far I think that may only apply to construction. I visited a construction site at DIFC and was amazed at the quality control of things I take for granted in the States - but that's what you get with the quality of the labor. So far I really like the vibrant social scene, people going out and sitting and talking to each other as opposed to just sitting at home watching TV or at their laptops posting messages on various web sites - oops that's me right now
Old Apr 16th 2007, 1:53 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

BANG!

And the winner of the prize goes to....

The essential difference being that I won't be on here a year after I leave Dubai telling everyone how shite it is.

Why do I get the feeling these words might come back to haunt me?

Last edited by littlejimmy; Apr 16th 2007 at 1:56 pm.
Old Apr 16th 2007, 1:55 pm
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute

Actually I did spend all day Saturday and Sunday evening at the mall - which I normally hate. Saw more shocking things there such as a lady walking around with the most revealing dress, I think it only covered about a third of her body.

Someone said to not scratch too much below the surface here because you won't find much substance, so far I think that may only apply to construction. I visited a construction site at DIFC and was amazed at the quality control of things I take for granted in the States - but that's what you get with the quality of the labour. So far I really like the vibrant social scene, people going out and sitting and talking to each other as opposed to just sitting at home watching TV or at their laptops posting messages on various web sites - oops that's me right now
its a pretty cool place to be honest.
much better than America
Old Apr 16th 2007, 1:57 pm
hmmmm...nice

Someone said to not scratch too much below the surface here because you won't find much substance, so far I think that may only apply to construction. I visited a construction site at DIFC and was amazed at the quality control of things I take for granted in the States - but that's what you get with the quality of the labor. So far I really like the vibrant social scene, people going out and sitting and talking to each other as opposed to just sitting at home watching TV or at their laptops posting messages on various web sites - oops that's me right now
wireless in a lot of places nowadays....
Old Apr 16th 2007, 1:58 pm
hmmmm...nice

BANG!

And the winner of the prize goes to....

The essential difference being that I won't be on here a year after I leave Dubai telling everyone how shite it is.

Why do I get the feeling these words might come back to haunt me?
because they will...
Old Apr 16th 2007, 1:59 pm
Excess Baggage

its a pretty cool place to be honest.
much better than America
They're very similar actually. Both crass cultural vacuums inhabited by shallow rich people lording it over the poor.

*folds arms and waits*
Old Apr 16th 2007, 1:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MataHari
Hi Crash...good to hear you are enjoying yourself! No better way to find out what Dubai is like than being here....forums are helpfull but can give a wrong impression. Hope you'll be able to see and do a few different things/places, to give you a good idea what it's all about....
Thanks Matari for sticking up for me. I was thinking along the same lines when I decided to come out for a visit now rather than wait until my job gets outsourced later in the year.
Old Apr 16th 2007, 2:00 pm
Up in the air

They're very similar actually. Both crass cultural vacuums inhabited by shallow rich people lording it over the poor.

*folds arms and waits*
hmmm.....I think ill step back and let you take the flack on this one
Old Apr 16th 2007, 2:00 pm
hmmmm...nice

*folds arms and waits*
some seed of W10 was used as well...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.