Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

First day finished and a question

First day finished and a question

Old Sep 9th 2012, 4:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

MaserMan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default First day finished and a question

First day over and as expected spent most of the time signing paperwork.

Today has cost me 280 riyals in taxi fares just to get my daughter to school and back!

My question is about whether of not to take the car or take the allowance. They are offering a Camry or 3000 riyals. Ultimately will want to have two cars, one for me and one for the wife.

The cash allowance seems low, compared to Saudi, and wondered whether to just take the car as 3k would not get me a Camry, even if I wanted one and then give that later on to my wife when I get something I want.

Any suggestions from people who have already thought of the buy/rent/lease company car options?
Old Sep 9th 2012, 4:34 pm
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First day finished and a question

Originally Posted by MaserMan

Today has cost me 280 riyals in taxi fares just to get my daughter to school and back!

My question is about whether of not to take the car or take the allowance. They are offering a Camry or 3000 riyals. Ultimately will want to have two cars, one for me and one for the wife.

The cash allowance seems low, compared to Saudi, and wondered whether to just take the car as 3k would not get me a Camry, even if I wanted one and then give that later on to my wife when I get something I want.

Any suggestions from people who have already thought of the buy/rent/lease company car options?
Take the Camry, you'll be around 3.5-4k to rent one privately and usually they are manky and poorly maintained (e.g. dents, scratches, brake lights out, soiled seats, scrubbed front tyres). My experience anyway.

Don't know the distance or time involved, but the taxi fare seems unbelievably high. Anything over QR100 in Doha would start alarm bells ringing, big time. The taxi drivers are all corrupt and will exploit any situation. Ask them to turn the meter off and offer to pay QR50 round trip, be prepared to stand your ground.

Oh, and welcome to Doha!

[J]

Last edited by Johnnyboy11; Sep 9th 2012 at 4:38 pm.
Old Sep 9th 2012, 4:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thought the taxi costs were over the top but had been on the meter, unfortunately we are currently at one end of Doha and the school is at the other end.

Thanks for the info on a Camry, personally don't like them as they are so boring but from a cost perspective would seem to be the best option to take the car.
Old Sep 9th 2012, 5:12 pm
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute

Thought the taxi costs were over the top but had been on the meter, unfortunately we are currently at one end of Doha and the school is at the other end.

Thanks for the info on a Camry, personally don't like them as they are so boring but from a cost perspective would seem to be the best option to take the car.
As an alternative, you could buy a brand new Nissan Altima 2.5 (similar to Camry) from about QR69k from the Nissan dealer in Al Sadd. The depreciation is minimal in Doha for some obscure reason, say 10% a year. Comp. insurance is typically 3-4% a year. Also factor in an accident repair every 3 months (my experience). This will be a very attractive price for transport in the city, especially since petrol is effectively free.

[J]
Old Sep 9th 2012, 5:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Johnnyboy11
As an alternative, you could buy a brand new Nissan Altima 2.5 (similar to Camry) from about QR69k from the Nissan dealer in Al Sadd. The depreciation is minimal in Doha for some obscure reason, say 10% a year. Comp. insurance is typically 3-4% a year. Also factor in an accident repair every 3 months (my experience). This will be a very attractive price for transport in the city, especially since petrol is effectively free.

[J]
It is more than I am used to paying, it is close to being extortionate As I have come over from Saudi, petrol is even cheaper there.

Found the driving here very civilised as some scrote is not trying to kill you anytime you are in the car. You don't know how good you have it here
Old Sep 10th 2012, 5:42 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

A taxi should be no more than 60 chips from one end of town to the other
Old Sep 10th 2012, 7:29 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I would never rent or lease in a market like Doha where residual values are crazy and people have reasonable salaries. At 3k a month you will be able to finance a Camry and after 3 years even at 50% depreciation it would be worth @45k, which is then your money. Alternatively you can put some money towards it yourself and buy something you want.

Initially you can rent a car for 2/3 months whilst you settle here, get your RP and make sure you want to stay. A 20% deposit would be the minimum I would put down on a car.

And If I had the money available I would buy the car cash and pay myself back to save on any interest.
Old Sep 10th 2012, 7:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britexpat76
Personally I would never rent or lease in a market like Doha where residual values are crazy and people have reasonable salaries. At 3k a month you will be able to finance a Camry and after 3 years even at 50% depreciation it would be worth @45k, which is then your money. Alternatively you can put some money towards it yourself and buy something you want.
Spot on. In 4 months time I'm about to get my windfall on the Fortuner by applying your rule.

But, do remember the rules for other depreciating assets: if it flies, ****s or floats you are better off renting it.
Old Sep 10th 2012, 8:08 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Spot on. In 4 months time I'm about to get my windfall on the Fortuner by applying your rule.

But, do remember the rules for other depreciating assets: if it flies, ****s or floats you are better off renting it.
Absolutely. The biggest financial drain you can ever have is a boat. They can make grown affluent men weep.
Old Sep 10th 2012, 8:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Have decided to take the Camry as my company car, the dept arranging it got upset when they informed me that company policy was that it had to be white and I told them that I could take a second job as a taxi driver. Doing well today as also told the facilities department that the standard of accomadation they had shown me was pathetic and now was having to go private. Another thread about to start on compounds methinks!

Basically the Camry will end up my wifes car after I get something for myself. Trying to be sensible and get another 4x4 but my head is being turned by 6.4 litre hemi's in a couple of cars that I looked at while in Riyadh. Should know better, but can't afford to get another Maserati at the prices they command out here

Last edited by MaserMan; Sep 10th 2012 at 8:59 am.
Old Sep 10th 2012, 9:32 am
Shark Fisherman

Have decided to take the Camry as my company car, the dept arranging it got upset when they informed me that company policy was that it had to be white and I told them that I could take a second job as a taxi driver. Doing well today as also told the facilities department that the standard of accomadation they had shown me was pathetic and now was having to go private. Another thread about to start on compounds methinks!

Basically the Camry will end up my wifes car after I get something for myself. Trying to be sensible and get another 4x4 but my head is being turned by 6.4 litre hemi's in a couple of cars that I looked at while in Riyadh. Should know better, but can't afford to get another Maserati at the prices they command out here

Which one did you have?
Old Sep 10th 2012, 10:07 am
BE Forum Addict

jackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of light

Maserati Man, and you settled for a Camry? What is the colour of the sky on your planet? Oh but maybe you work in Financial Services?
Old Sep 10th 2012, 11:13 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

The Jeep with a 6.something engine in it is silly, scary quick.

Mate's got one and destroyed a 911 from the lights.
Old Sep 10th 2012, 11:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by britexpat76
Which one did you have?
Gransport and really miss it. Thought I saw a 4200 yesterday but we turned a corner before I had a good look.
Old Sep 10th 2012, 11:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jackthehat
Maserati Man, and you settled for a Camry? What is the colour of the sky on your planet? Oh but maybe you work in Financial Services?
Paying the best part of 500k is not what I want to do at this moment and the sky is blue!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.