British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Firing Range (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/firing-range-528272/)

Spugsy Apr 10th 2008 9:24 am

Firing Range

Someone mentioned to me that there's a firing range somewhere in Dubai, somewhere where you can shoot using live ammo - is this true?

Blue Cat Apr 10th 2008 9:24 am

Re: Firing Range

do a search on Jebel Ali Shooting Club :p

NorthernLad Apr 10th 2008 9:26 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 6187262)
Someone mentioned to me that there's a firing range somewhere in Dubai, somewhere where you can shoot using live ammo - is this true?

Clay pigeon and a pistol range (22 and 38s) at Jebel Ali Shooting Club, I think you can also do it at Hatta Fort.

Prices weren't bad at Jebel Ali.

W10 Apr 10th 2008 9:30 am

You used to be able to shoot AKs in UAQ but they stopped it!

Blue Cat Apr 10th 2008 9:34 am

there is also another place on the Al Ain Road but I can't remember the name of it :confused:

jvr20 Apr 10th 2008 9:39 am

also a shooting club in Sharjah. It's not actually in Sharjah town though, it's way out beyond Emirates Rd so should be accessible without the Sharjah traffic.

Spugsy Apr 10th 2008 10:10 am

Originally Posted by NorthernLad (Post 6187275)
Clay pigeon and a pistol range (22 and 38s) at Jebel Ali Shooting Club, I think you can also do it at Hatta Fort.

Prices weren't bad at Jebel Ali.

22and 38's, whats that? proper guns?

Cry haddock Apr 10th 2008 10:41 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 6187435)
22and 38's, whats that? proper guns?

Sharjah shooting club is a walk in, pay your money and shoot, 25m underground range with electric targets that come up and down to at the push of a button.
25 rounds in a 22 (real pistol, small caliber though) is cheap (40 Dhs sticks in my head), 25 rounds in a 9mm is about 80 Dhs i think. These 9mms are the Sigs, H&K, Berreta that you see on the TV. They also have a 357 magnum but it is kept under the counter for regulars only. There are also small caliber rifles available.
If you are experienced then it may not hold your interest for too long, but for this novice I had a blast for a night, all in was 300 Dhs i think. Safety is good and they will guide you through it all. Watch the traffic though in evening rush hours (4pm to 9pm!).
Haddock

lionheart Apr 10th 2008 10:57 am

Originally Posted by Cry haddock (Post 6187554)
Sharjah shooting club is a walk in, pay your money and shoot, 25m underground range with electric targets that come up and down to at the push of a button.
25 rounds in a 22 (real pistol, small caliber though) is cheap (40 Dhs sticks in my head), 25 rounds in a 9mm is about 80 Dhs i think. These 9mms are the Sigs, H&K, Berreta that you see on the TV. They also have a 357 magnum but it is kept under the counter for regulars only. There are also small caliber rifles available.
If you are experienced then it may not hold your interest for too long, but for this novice I had a blast for a night, all in was 300 Dhs i think. Safety is good and they will guide you through it all. Watch the traffic though in evening rush hours (4pm to 9pm!).
Haddock

Sounds like good fun but can you give some rough directions as Sharjah is a nightmare without a street map?

jvr20 Apr 10th 2008 11:00 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 6187619)
Sounds like good fun but can you give some rough directions as Sharjah is a nightmare without a street map?

does no one use google/initiative these days?

http://www.golfandshootingshj.com/location.htm

Spugsy Apr 10th 2008 11:10 am

Originally Posted by Cry haddock (Post 6187554)
Haddock

get in there, I'd love to do that, I'm in Mirdif as well so Sharjah isnt so far away, I may get my mate to come along and do it.

I think all blokes would like to shoot a real gun at some point in their life.

lionheart Apr 10th 2008 11:11 am

Originally Posted by jvr20 (Post 6187632)

Just Googled it straight after writing, not expecting to find anything. It certainly looks very nice but Dhs5,000 per annum when I only want to shoot is pricey...

Spugsy Apr 10th 2008 11:12 am

Originally Posted by jvr20 (Post 6187632)

are you in sharjah? want to come along if I go sometime?

Cry haddock Apr 10th 2008 11:15 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 6187674)
are you in sharjah? want to come along if I go sometime?

the membership is for general use of pool etc etc as I understand it. Like I said, I just walked in and said that i wanted to shoot and they showed me where to go. No fees or membership required - just pay for the rounds you use. you do need good photo ID though (Driving licence or Passport i think)
H

Spugsy Apr 10th 2008 11:20 am

Originally Posted by Cry haddock (Post 6187682)
the membership is for general use of pool etc etc as I understand it. Like I said, I just walked in and said that i wanted to shoot and they showed me where to go. No fees or membership required - just pay for the rounds you use. you do need good photo ID though (Driving licence or Passport i think)
H

yup that sounds good to me fella.