British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Finding work in Dubai - My Grand Plan!!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/finding-work-dubai-my-grand-plan-553380/)

jayne29 Aug 5th 2008 2:07 pm

Finding work in Dubai - My Grand Plan!!!

Hello there…
:)
I wonder if you might be able to help me with my grand plan! :confused:

I posted a while back as I was looking to relocate to Dubai, and was looking for PA work. I had some really helpful responses (Thankyou) :thumbup: and have since been a busy bee contacting agencies (who seem to be generally quite rubbish) and speaking to a few girls out there who are PA’s… However I have heard pretty much the same thing from everyone… and that is that I need to be on the ground in Dubai to be in with a chance of finding a job. :unsure: I got made redundant last month and seeing as I’m temping at the moment I have decided to take the risk and go to Dubai for a short while to see if I can secure a role.

However I have some questions before I commit to anything! Hope you’ve all got Crystal balls!!! Firstly… I have been told that September is a particularly bad month to find work as it’s Ramadam and a lot of senior people take vacations during this period… is there a certain time of year which is busier in terms of job seeking?... I’m ready to go from October but would rather wait if this wasn’t a great time to go. Also I am planning to stay for 3 – 4 weeks. It’s probably going to be 3 weeks because of cost etc… do you think this is a decent amount of time to find something? Or do you think that I need to be out there longer? I am also looking to arrange accommodation through a company which does short term lets for whilst I am there. It seems like I am going to pay about 600 AED a week for a smallish apartment? – does this sound about right? Does anyone have any tips on the best areas to stay? I’m not really too sure how I’m going to get from A to B whilst I’m there (I’m guessing taxis?) so the closer I am to the business areas the better I suppose.

I think that’s everything, but if anyone has any ideas…suggestions… criticisms… (be gentle!) than I’d like to hear them… :o

Thanks very much for your time :D

Jayne xx

kamel Aug 5th 2008 2:50 pm

Re: Finding work in Dubai - My Grand Plan!!!

Originally Posted by jayne29 (Post 6647689)
Hello there…

I posted a while back as I was looking to relocate to Dubai, and was looking for PA work. I had some really helpful responses (Thankyou) :thumbup: and have since been a busy bee contacting agencies (who seem to be generally quite rubbish) and speaking to a few girls out there who are PA’s… However I have heard pretty much the same thing from everyone… and that is that I need to be on the ground in Dubai to be in with a chance of finding a job. :unsure: I got made redundant last month and seeing as I’m temping at the moment I have decided to take the risk and go to Dubai for a short while to see if I can secure a role.

However I have some questions before I commit to anything! Hope you’ve all got Crystal balls!!! Firstly… I have been told that September is a particularly bad month to find work as it’s Ramadam and a lot of senior people take vacations during this period… is there a certain time of year which is busier in terms of job seeking?... I’m ready to go from October but would rather wait if this wasn’t a great time to go. Also I am planning to stay for 3 – 4 weeks. It’s probably going to be 3 weeks because of cost etc… do you think this is a decent amount of time to find something? Or do you think that I need to be out there longer? I am also looking to arrange accommodation through a company which does short term lets for whilst I am there. It seems like I am going to pay about 600 AED a week for a smallish apartment? – does this sound about right? Does anyone have any tips on the best areas to stay? I’m not really too sure how I’m going to get from A to B whilst I’m there (I’m guessing taxis?) so the closer I am to the business areas the better I suppose.

I think that’s everything, but if anyone has any ideas…suggestions… criticisms… (be gentle!) than I’d like to hear them… :o

Jayne xx

Jayne,
I think that we are in the same situation, so the only help I can provide it to tell what I am planning to do.
I am from Toronto, and spent plenty of time sending my resume with no result. I have been told the same thing ... get there it is easier and more convenient (even costly!), so since Ramadhan is in september I will be going in october and my horizon is to stay there 1 to 2 months (because things move very slowly there ... don t know about england, but here in canada it is a matter of weeks time to be hired).
Also I just put in my mind, that if I don't find what I am looking for there I will take it as vacation and get back to Toronto ...
Good luck!

Border Reiver Aug 5th 2008 2:56 pm

3 Weeks is probably enough to get around a few agencies and possibly even get some interviews in. I'd avoid Ramadan as the place tends to grind to a halt a bit during that time- October should be better.

600Aed a week for an apartment is very,very cheap. Are you sure it wasn't 600 a night? (Even that is cheap though).

Shadya Aug 5th 2008 3:00 pm

You need to check your sources (Jayne), you wouldn't get a broom cupboard for AED600 per week...and don't forget that sharing is technically illegal.

Madam Medusa Aug 5th 2008 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by Shadya (Post 6647872)
...and don't forget that sharing is technically illegal.

not if it's a specific short term let...

MM, xx

jayne29 Aug 5th 2008 3:31 pm

Oops! Not too sure where I got that figure from! Its actually around 5-6000 AED per week… does that sound like a lot?...

Thanks very much
Jayne

Shadya Aug 5th 2008 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 6647908)
not if it's a specific short term let...

MM, xx

Says who?

Madam Medusa Aug 5th 2008 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by Shadya (Post 6647980)
Says who?

it's a business...so i guess the licensing people say so...

MM, xx

jayne29 Aug 5th 2008 3:49 pm

i'll be there on my own... so won't be sharing :(

jayne29 Aug 5th 2008 4:04 pm

No i got it wrong actually... its 5-6000 aed a week. not sure where i got 600 from!? :o

arbroath_abroad Aug 5th 2008 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by jayne29 (Post 6648093)
No i got it wrong actually... its 5-6000 aed a week. not sure where i got 600 from!? :o

thats 24,000AED per month, or over 3 grand UK....

jayne29 Aug 6th 2008 7:51 am

Originally Posted by arbroath_abroad (Post 6648156)
thats 24,000AED per month, or over 3 grand UK....

Yes... :( an awful lot of money...

does anyone have any other ideas of cheaper places to stay?... i guess if i want to go then i'll have to pay it... and that seems like the cheapest place i've found so far...

Thank you
Jayne :)

Ditzy Aug 6th 2008 1:21 pm

I think you'd be cheaper staying in a cheap hotel than paying for a short term let which are VERY expensive. I've seen some cheap hotels advertised for 350 AED per night which would work out much cheaper? Also contact Golden Sands/Tulip which are hotel apartments but I think they would also be cheaper than short term let.

Try www.kershawleonard.net for PA jobs. There are tons of PA jobs here you'll get one no problem!!

khubai08 Oct 8th 2008 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by jayne29 (Post 6647689)
Hello there…

Jayne xx

Hi Jayne,

I am planning the same. I heard of this career fair in AD so thought to go and stay for few weeks and test the market. I can send you the link to the exhibition if you want to attend, it is between 19th and 21st October. Best