Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Financial Cost of Leaving the UAE - Lesson Learnt!

Financial Cost of Leaving the UAE - Lesson Learnt!

Old Jul 15th 2010, 9:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Financial Cost of Leaving the UAE - Lesson Learnt!

Originally Posted by Arcadia
Problem was..we had Air tickets booked, ADNOC had given us FOUR days only in the hotel and we had to be out of the UAE on the 2nd of July( ADNOC PRO waiting to cancel our visa).

We were actually sat in The Marina Mall branch of NBAD at 6.30pm awaiting 2 signatures from the branch Manager (who should have actually been back at work at 3.00pm but didnt bother to turn up).
It was for a subtantial amount, and nerves were gettingn the better of us. we literally had 4 hours to get the bankers draught before the plane was taking off.

We did make mistakes, and should of taken advice given, but after days of sitting at empty desks at ADNOC HQ awaiting signatures from around 8 locals who werent even there, we just wanted out of the place.
but i thought that you were coming back in a couple of months time? and then you could have deposited the money in your account then. perhaps you could have changed your tickets to go via doha or somewhere close by and then you have left the country, they will give your eosb and cancel your visa, and then pay for a flight to take you back here and sort out your monies. surely wouldnt have cost 9k, but then what did you expect you know things can always go not to plan.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

Mullet is a jewel in the roughMullet is a jewel in the roughMullet is a jewel in the roughMullet is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Meow

Why won't people seek professional advice on financial matters?

-
They're probably worried about the cost............
Old Jul 15th 2010, 11:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mullet
They're probably worried about the cost............
well its not going to cost you 9k tho!
Old Jul 15th 2010, 11:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well we have just left Abu Dhabi after 12 years and the only thing we had to pay for was the re-painting of two rooms in the place we were renting as the LL wanted them white again.

We switched over to pay and go phones a month before we left.
Transferred ownership on the car 2 weeks before we left.
got an estimate for the electricity and water from lastyears bill and they accepted the same amount as payment in full.

The week before we were due to leave ADNOC paid for us 4 days fully inclusive in the Hilton.

So it's not always bad, it just pays to plan ahead.

Although we got my husbands end of service money, in the form of a bankers draught from NBAD and we have just deposited it into Natwest and were told we would lose around nine grand in fee's and exchange rate..so we ended up getting shafted anyway.

i hope that you remembered to get your no claims letter so that you can insure your nice new merc...... why didnt you have one of those here where they are cheaper to buy oh yes i forgot you said that you didnt "join in" with all that dribble......
Old Jul 15th 2010, 3:05 pm
Forum Regular

Arcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by busybee2
i hope that you remembered to get your no claims letter so that you can insure your nice new merc...... why didnt you have one of those here where they are cheaper to buy oh yes i forgot you said that you didnt "join in" with all that dribble......
Why would I want to spend 30k on a mercedes in Abu Dhabi, when only 2 weeks ago I saw my mates brand new car get scratched from one end to the other in Abu Dhabi Mall? Most people have no respect for cars over there, wether it's a Merc or a Maybach.
As for the no claims letter..yes we got one from ADNIC..most wont accept it here because it's outside the EU, and those that would wouldnt insure the car because we bought it in N Ireland. And didnt want to re register it with the DVLA because it had personnel plates which we would have had to change.

As for coming back in a couple of months..no need too now as we sorted the buisness out before we left.

Does that answer all your questions?

Oh! we called in the bank today just to query what they were charging us, and they have decided to waiver the charges and give us special rates after all. So all is good.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 4:38 pm
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Why would I want to spend 30k on a mercedes in Abu Dhabi, when only 2 weeks ago I saw my mates brand new car get scratched from one end to the other in Abu Dhabi Mall? Most people have no respect for cars over there, wether it's a Merc or a Maybach.
As for the no claims letter..yes we got one from ADNIC..most wont accept it here because it's outside the EU, and those that would wouldnt insure the car because we bought it in N Ireland. And didnt want to re register it with the DVLA because it had personnel plates which we would have had to change.

As for coming back in a couple of months..no need too now as we sorted the buisness out before we left.

Does that answer all your questions?

Oh! we called in the bank today just to query what they were charging us, and they have decided to waiver the charges and give us special rates after all. So all is good.
in summary, BB2 stop spouting my ****ing business all over the forum and mind your own.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 6:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by commander
in summary, BB2 stop spouting my ****ing business all over the forum and mind your own.
no do you know her...... well i do, she would give me jip here on this website, but didnt on other ones...... so as i am on this website i am just replying in the manner that she gave me. so there
Old Jul 16th 2010, 7:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commander
Old Jul 16th 2010, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

Arcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by busybee2
no do you know her...... well i do, she would give me jip here on this website, but didnt on other ones...... so as i am on this website i am just replying in the manner that she gave me. so there
The only reason I didnt respond to your threads on the other websites is because most of the time.. YOU TALK SHIT! Oh! and you got banned didnt you or left, cos other people thought you TALKED SHIT!

Any info you have gathered about buying a Mercedes etc is from my previous posts, not because I have sat ''doing coffee'' with you, so dont claim to ''know me''.

Why give me ''jip''? Revenge?.. I was responding to a post about financial costs of leaving the UAE..you didnt need to make silly statements about my life.
Old Jul 17th 2010, 8:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The only reason I didnt respond to your threads on the other websites is because most of the time.. YOU TALK SHIT! Oh! and you got banned didnt you or left, cos other people thought you TALKED SHIT!

Any info you have gathered about buying a Mercedes etc is from my previous posts, not because I have sat ''doing coffee'' with you, so dont claim to ''know me''.

Why give me ''jip''? Revenge?.. I was responding to a post about financial costs of leaving the UAE..you didnt need to make silly statements about my life.
hahahaha that woke you up then. no i left wasnt banned because i didnt like the way that when i tried to response when i hadnt actually done anything but it was a witch hunt i wasnt allowed to post my opinion, and i think its right that you should be able to reply back when you are being accused of something and in that case it was all a load of bull, but that is the reason for it. and thats the whole point of these websites you should be able to give your own opinion and not be attacked for it, yes. and yes we have had a nice pleasant conversation although a fair while ago, but you were right it wasnt over a coffee...!

and you are only seeing what you want to see, there were a lot of people that thought that the witch hunt was uncalled for and said so, but they were deleted very very quickly, so unless you were there looking at the posts as they came in you would only see one side to the story, and considering the mods did all they can to wind up the situation, but hey i dont care, water off the ducks back, each to their own, life is to short.....

Last edited by busybee2; Jul 17th 2010 at 8:10 am.
Old Jul 17th 2010, 8:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

and i can post under a different name, and definately get a different response and reply, now wonder why that is...... shall i change my username like some people who do.
Old Jul 17th 2010, 8:37 am
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

Actually you are not missing much by being banned. The ADW forum is now like EW - maids, villas, excitement about Matalan arriving in AD !!! The usual stuff eg I need a dentist for my maid or I need a maid's bed for the tiny cupboard I am going to house her in etc etc and they now have some terrible breaking news broadcasts where they can't even pronounce AD properly - it's Dabbi not Darby!
Old Jul 17th 2010, 9:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by soukie
Actually you are not missing much by being banned. The ADW forum is now like EW - maids, villas, excitement about Matalan arriving in AD !!! The usual stuff eg I need a dentist for my maid or I need a maid's bed for the tiny cupboard I am going to house her in etc etc and they now have some terrible breaking news broadcasts where they can't even pronounce AD properly - it's Dabbi not Darby!
that is because the mods are not british. and yes i do "look" from time to time, and it has been pointed out to me that its gone downhill a touch. but the whole point of adw being created was to get away from the ew style and look where its gone, down the same path. but hey as i say life is too short to worry about such things, more important things to do than sit on a computer all day long.
Old Jul 17th 2010, 10:24 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by shandolier
Just be careful about how you exit the country and what it will cost you. He’s now thinking he should have just done a runner.
I have been working in the oil and gas industry in Kazakhstan and have seen all sorts of strokes pulled. Sometimes people who resign out here never get their last months salary or end up having trouble getting the company to pay for a flight home. The best time to pull the plug is when you are in the UK and your salary has just goe in the bank. Of course, not all companies operate this way, but some do.