Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Financial Advisor UK

Financial Advisor UK

Old Apr 6th 2022, 1:19 pm
Just Joined

Venice12345 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Financial Advisor UK

Hi all, thanks for all the advice on these boards, really helpful.

Im about to move to Qatar and I was wondering if anyone could recommend a uk based independent financial advisor who specializes in expat investment from ME back into the uk .

Old Apr 6th 2022, 1:55 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Financial Advisor UK

Originally Posted by Venice12345
Hi all, thanks for all the advice on these boards, really helpful.

Im about to move to Qatar and I was wondering if anyone could recommend a uk based independent financial advisor who specializes in expat investment from ME back into the uk .
Depending on what exactly you're looking to invest in back in the UK I might be able to make some suggestions.

Keep in mind UK based advisors usually only advise UK residents, and many have little to no experience of advising people working internationally.

N.
Old Apr 6th 2022, 8:19 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
Depending on what exactly you're looking to invest in back in the UK I might be able to make some suggestions.

Keep in mind UK based advisors usually only advise UK residents, and many have little to no experience of advising people working internationally.

N.

hi Norm, I’m a complete newbie in terms of investment so was looking at a uk based person as I understand what protections there are and what qualifications they would have so I have peace of mind. Open to other IFA’s from other destinations if I feel like my money is protected.

It’s basically a full audit of my financial situation and how best to maximize my income. As it stands at the Moment I have a nest pension that’s doing nothing , a flat I can’t rent as I have a help to buy investment I need to pay off etc etc.

As an expat I know that I am limited from the Normal options open to a uk based person so thought that people on here would have some personal experience.
Old Apr 6th 2022, 8:53 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

It somewhat depends what your situation is, but if you're leaving the UK for several years, and hopefully accumulating some relatively substantial savings/ investments while not subject to taxation in the UK, then you should probably be talking to someone either in the Channel Islands or Isle of Man.

That said there are some real sharks in the "expat investment advisory" business, and there is one which is so notorious that if you type its name into BE then the BE web site turns the name into "******", as there were so many posts on BE trashing that firm that they threatened to sue the owners of BE! They actually contacted me - cold calling is their primary modus operandi, and apparently newly hired salesmen are expected to contact all their friends and acquaintances to try to recruit them as clients. I

If you get a call from them, or any other annoying salesman try to sell you expat investment services, tell them "if you contact me again, I will make a formal complaint to your compliance officer" (use those exact words). Obviously it helps to have the salesman's name, but this usually scares off most of the parasites. If you need to follow through, if they contact you again, then all you need to do is to send a letter to the company address to "the Compliance Officer" at any of the company's locations (I would choose either the head office, or the location of the salesman if you know it, or the office in the UK, over lesser branch locations), reporting the date on which you told them not to contact you again, and then the date and name of the person who contacted you again. You can expect the salesman to get an ugly black mark on their compliance record. .... Everyone in the financial sector, whether banks, brokers, or advisers, knows that when the regulator shows up for their annual visit, one of the things the regulators always check is the file of complaints made to the Compliance Officer, and if the firm has too many complaints and they have done nothing to address the issue then the firm will get into trouble too.

Yup, the name is still blocked on BE -> ******

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 6th 2022 at 9:08 pm.
Old Apr 7th 2022, 9:25 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

hi Norm, I’m a complete newbie in terms of investment so was looking at a uk based person as I understand what protections there are and what qualifications they would have so I have peace of mind. Open to other IFA’s from other destinations if I feel like my money is protected.

It’s basically a full audit of my financial situation and how best to maximize my income. As it stands at the Moment I have a nest pension that’s doing nothing , a flat I can’t rent as I have a help to buy investment I need to pay off etc etc.

As an expat I know that I am limited from the Normal options open to a uk based person so thought that people on here would have some personal experience.
Most advisors can provide you with the full audit you require, both in and out of the UK. Expats generally have more options outside the UK but much will depend on how long you're out for and what exactly your needs are.

As many others will warn you though, a lot of advisors based in this region are more interested in commissions than providing wealth management services, even the qualified ones. Many supposedly 'independent' firms also offer their own funds and products to clients while maintaining they are providing whole of market advice. But the market also needs to take a share of the blame as most people won't pay someone for their time even when qualified and experienced, which does tend to ensure Financial Advisors have to rely solely on commission from selling products to make a living. Getting client and advisor interests in alignment is a challenge and even recent regulatory changes don't really address that properly in my view.

I stepped out of the industry for nearly six years because I didn't see any firms here putting clients first, or adhering to ethical practices. It's taken me a while to find a network of qualified people with multi-jurisdiction regulation that actually conduct background checks on people who want to join (most advisory firms don't even check who they hire properly unfortunately), that I feel comfortable can actually service the needs of expats. I also know several UK based IFAs I am happy to refer to when needed as well if specific UK advice is needed.

Am happy to have a quick chat, feel free to drop me PM.

N.

Last edited by Norm_uk; Apr 13th 2022 at 4:30 am.
Old Apr 8th 2022, 9:28 am
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd highly recommend you read Millionaire Expat by Andrew Hallam, and keep asking yourself: "Where are the customers' yachts?".
Old Apr 8th 2022, 2:25 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Johnnyboy11
I'd highly recommend you read Millionaire Expat by Andrew Hallam, and keep asking yourself: "Where are the customers' yachts?".
"Millionaire" does not mean what people think it means, especially people scraping by, living in a rented home with their partner and 2.3 kids, or those in their late 20's and still living with their parents, working a part time job and driving a 12 year old Fiesta.

I recommend this book - it is US-centric, but I think much of it applies in the UK, and elsewhere, too.
Old Apr 12th 2022, 3:21 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
It somewhat depends what your situation is, but if you're leaving the UK for several years, and hopefully accumulating some relatively substantial savings/ investments while not subject to taxation in the UK, then you should probably be talking to someone either in the Channel Islands or Isle of Man.

That said there are some real sharks in the "expat investment advisory" business, and there is one which is so notorious that if you type its name into BE then the BE web site turns the name into "******", as there were so many posts on BE trashing that firm that they threatened to sue the owners of BE! They actually contacted me - cold calling is their primary modus operandi, and apparently newly hired salesmen are expected to contact all their friends and acquaintances to try to recruit them as clients. I

If you get a call from them, or any other annoying salesman try to sell you expat investment services, tell them "if you contact me again, I will make a formal complaint to your compliance officer" (use those exact words). Obviously it helps to have the salesman's name, but this usually scares off most of the parasites. If you need to follow through, if they contact you again, then all you need to do is to send a letter to the company address to "the Compliance Officer" at any of the company's locations (I would choose either the head office, or the location of the salesman if you know it, or the office in the UK, over lesser branch locations), reporting the date on which you told them not to contact you again, and then the date and name of the person who contacted you again. You can expect the salesman to get an ugly black mark on their compliance record. .... Everyone in the financial sector, whether banks, brokers, or advisers, knows that when the regulator shows up for their annual visit, one of the things the regulators always check is the file of complaints made to the Compliance Officer, and if the firm has too many complaints and they have done nothing to address the issue then the firm will get into trouble too.

Yup, the name is still blocked on BE -> ******

thanks Pulaski, useful bit of knowledge there 😬
Old Apr 12th 2022, 3:23 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
Most advisors can provide you with the full audit you require, both in and out of the UK. Expats generally have more options outside the UK but much will depend on how long you're out for and what exactly your needs are.

As many others will warn you though, a lot of advisors based in this region are more interested in commissions than providing wealth management services, even the qualified ones. Many supposedly 'independent' firms also offer their own funds and products to clients while maintaining they are providing whole of market advice. But the market also needs to take a share of the blame as most people won't pay someone for their time even when qualified and experience, which does tend to ensure Financial Advisors have to rely solely on commission from selling products to make a living. Getting client and advisor interests in alignment is a challenge and even recent regularly changes don't really address that properly in my view.

I stepped out of the industry for nearly six years because I didn't see any firms here putting clients first, or adhering to ethical practices. It's taken me a while to find a network of qualified people with multi-jurisdiction regulation that actually conduct background checks on people who want to join (most advisory firms don't even check who they hire properly unfortunately), that I feel comfortable can actually service the needs of expats. I also know several UK based IFAs I am happy to refer to when needed as well if specific UK advice is needed.

Am happy to have a quick chat, feel free to drop me PM.

N.
thanks norm, in the middle of moving at the moment but might take you up on that 👍
Old Apr 12th 2022, 3:24 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Johnnyboy11
cheers, need a new book anyway so why not !
Old Apr 13th 2022, 4:31 am

thanks norm, in the middle of moving at the moment but might take you up on that 👍
Best of luck with the move!