Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Female expats starting businesses in Saudi

Female expats starting businesses in Saudi

Old Jan 14th 2009, 12:07 pm
Just Joined

FlorenceZebedee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Female expats starting businesses in Saudi

I am moving to Riyadh with my family in March. For the past ten years I have been running my own web design business in London (zebedeecreations.com) which I'm in the process of selling. I'm a keen entrepreneur and I find the idea of not working and living on a compound exciting (lots of ME time and much reduced stress) but also quite daunting. I've been told that women are allowed to set-up their own businesses and I'm interested to hear from anyone who has done so...
Old Jan 14th 2009, 12:14 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Female expats starting businesses in Saudi

why sell your business? could you not run it from Saudi?
Old Jan 14th 2009, 1:02 pm
Just Joined

FlorenceZebedee is an unknown quantity at this point

decided to sell the business after having my 3rd child for work life balance reasons and also was made a good offer. I'm keen to take a break to recharge my batteries, but am started to think what my next move could be once in Riyadh
Old Jan 14th 2009, 1:27 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FlorenceZebedee
decided to sell the business after having my 3rd child for work life balance reasons and also was made a good offer. I'm keen to take a break to recharge my batteries, but am started to think what my next move could be once in Riyadh
you need to contact Nic1 - she should be on later, she is in Riyadh with her family too
Old Jan 14th 2009, 2:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond repute

I was a bit stumped initially! But having put my thinking cap on I've come up with the following:

1. Women who open nurseries/pre-school facilities on compounds
2. WOomen who sell various items at the monthly coffee mornings - one woman I know travels to China twice a year and buys stuff there to sell here, another lady makes her own jewelry and bed spread type things, others are artists and sell their work, others import pottery from places like Greece and Tunisia
3. Er, then I became blank again. One of the problems here is that you can't be alone with a man you are not related to - so doing business can be difficult.

However, I will ask around at work on Saturday as the women there will no doubt have extra information and advise.

Cheers
N
Old Jan 15th 2009, 7:25 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

What about running a sid still ? That would make quite a bit of money....